Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning

BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198

Im comin back to FFXI.  Its gonna be my 3rd time back.  I realize I have the time to do it now.

I would just like to know whats new in the game, from the people that play it.

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
-- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
-- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
Explorer 66%
Socializer 60%
Killer 53%
Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

Comments

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Bobiin
    Im comin back to FFXI. Its gonna be my 3rd time back. I realize I have the time to do it now.

I would just like to know whats new in the game, from the people that play it.

Welcome back to Vana'diel! (They always come back, you know...)

Well, it's a bit tough, since I don't know when you quit last...let's try a few of the more recent biggies:

There's been a concerted effort to make the game somewhat less solo-hostile. The game still remains group-centered, and you will still do most of your levelling in a group, but it's more possible to get things done solo. Some of the things done to this end:

The big one: you can now quest in your mid-30s or so for an NPC companion who can be summoned from time to time to come fight alongside you.

You get better exp from easy prey mobs now. They also eased the exp curve in the 50s and 60s.

They've also been working to try and control gilsellers and inflation.

A few days ago they did a massive raid on the gilsellers' mules, deleting accounts and in the process wiping out 300 *billion* gil.

A few things they may have done before you left: AH fees have changed, they are now a percentage of the price you're putting the item up for. They are also much higher in Jeuno. There's also a bazaar tax of 10% when you bazaar in Jeuno (which has led to massive groups of people bazaaring just outside the Jeuno gates...). Fishing has been changed to something of a minigame, where you have to play your catch before reeling it in.

Mob trains have been changed where mobs that have been trained out of the area they appear disappear and reappear back in their proper spot if the PC they aggro'd dies or zones.

Summoners got a new avatar: Diabolos, avatar of dreams!

Instead of having to ask guild NPCs over and over before they give you the recipe you were looking for, you can now select which recipe you want them to tell you about.

Leaping Lizzie's drop of Leaping Boots has been changed to Bounding Boots--the same stats, only Ex. Leaping Boots were moved to a BCNM. Same thing with the Valkurm Emperor and the Emperor Hairpin--VE now drops the Empress Hairpin.

Lots of new items, new content...the storyline for Chains of Promathia is complete.

I'm not sure if you were here when they implemented Dynamis or Ballista. Dynamis is giant instanced raids. If you want serious end-game with 64 people in their 70s, this is it. Ballista is PvP (yes, PvP in FFXI!). They're scheduled matches with level caps (from level 30 to uncapped). They can best be described as soccer matches with no rules--and you have to find the ball first, and kill somebody on the opposing team before you can shoot for a goal--the goals occasionally teleport randomly, incidentally.

Also, we got a new expansion coming--Treasures of Aht Urhgan. New classes, including Blue Mage, looks like new territories too. Still short on info on this.

And other stuff, but this is everything I could think of the moment. The PlayOnline homepage will list the changes in each upgrade for you, you know.

Chris Mattern