Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained 1st Official Pre Alpha/ Tech / Engine demo

will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

Can be seen here

Comments

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    try 2

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Finally, ranged classes that can shoot further than 25 to 50 feet.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    This looks awesome. The possibilities that the game gives the players is just amazing. Building your own castle alone is sick but then add those wall spells and the whole boon/bane system and I am really looking forward to mid 2016.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Makes me glad I'm a backer.

Tuatha de Danaan here I come.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    how close are they to beta 3 or 1? w/e if first. And if i get alpha access now can i play all the time or is there only playtests at certain times>?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm excited.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Something lost in all of this today... CSE had Cohh announce that Nvidia Turf Effects will be used in this game. It'll be the first game to implement it, You can see what they look like here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2j_HNzXUUc

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

Speaking of what Cohh said, besides turf effects, the other two that got "lost" is that CU has 100% server-side physics (amongst other things, this should be quite helpfull against hackers and cheaters). The first MMO (and it seems the only one so far) to do so, and he also mentioned the Wave Works !? All that early work with the engine seems to pay off!

Edit: What makes this even more interesting is the CU map, lots of water everywhere...In fact, I guess we will have to travel by the sea just to reach some areas. I doubt we will have naval combat at launch, but maybe a little Xpack will do? image

W...aaagh?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JamesGoblin
    Speaking of what Cohh said, besides turf effects, the other two that got "lost" is that CU has 100% server-side physics (amongst other things, this should be quite helpfull against hackers and cheaters). The first MMO (and it seems the only one so far) to do so, and he also mentioned the Wave Works !? All that early work with the engine seems to pay off!

If that is the case, then that is the best news i have heard about MMO's in a good long while image

• ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I think Beta 1 is scheduled for september or october. I dont know if the Alpha servers are up for most part of the time or not. 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by voltt
    how close are they to beta 3 or 1? w/e if first. And if i get alpha access now can i play all the time or is there only playtests at certain times>?

Beta 1 is the next stage after Alpha. Alpha is scheduled to be 6 months long which means the estimated start for Beta 1 is August. But I think that estimate is based on them having the 2 senior programmers they are currently searching for. I would not be surprised to see Beta 1 pushed back weeks or months therefore.

You can try out the offline building system in CUBE during Alpha pretty much 24/7. But the rest of Alpha is being done by scheduled and impromptu tests. So the online alpha servers are only put up once every week or several weeks when there is something they want alpha testers to test out.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

looks really good for alpha.. and seeing some large fights in it aswell..

I have higher hopes in CU then i have in crowfall..

CU wil be epic groupplay and large battles..

Cant wait for this game

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Only alpha and already massive zergs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Copperfield

CU wil be epic groupplay and large battles..

Originally posted by Lobotomist

You missed the post above yours.....

Yes, they've already tested it with over 1000 on the field, epic indeed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Not sure if trolling or what, but the game is being made to support large battles. If you've followed or read anything about the game. You should/would know mark is very anti zerg. He's going to make it the least favorable way to advance in the game. But,  that doesn't mean he doesn't want large battles sometimes. It's just not going to be the end all be all to skill up etc.. :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well Carnage seemed to have got that speech from the developer and read it right off the paper.None the less the focus is the video.

There was nothing there that got me excited,but then again,i do not like pvp in my rpg's.Simply having a bunch of players attack each other is too boring for me.Sure if it is an Arena setting where it is 2 players using all the strategy and deception they can muster ,it is great.However running through some open field spamming attacks is nothing that offers the challenge and skill i would want form pvp.

I have no idea how they are firing at such a distance those flame attacks,not like any of them should hit.That is why pvp is just better under different settings like a fps because you have the varied weapons,like sniper for long distance,rockets or some other mid range weapon and closer melee type attacks.

Problem with a rpg is you need TAB targeting or it just doesn't work with these settings,but then tab targeting ruins pvp,so it is a lose lose design for pvp.There is simply not enough variables,yes i see the creation of stone blocks to act as a defense but it is not enough to add variable to the game play.Yes i see the players up top for some zaxis but not like the opponents have and choice of zaxis fighting since they are running through a field.

I am sure if all you want from your rpg is pvp ,many people will like this but not me,i want a lot of depth in any type of game design PVE or PVP or FPS.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by will75

Something lost in all of this today... CSE had Cohh announce that Nvidia Turf Effects will be used in this game. It'll be the first game to implement it, You can see what they look like here :

How does this sort of Nvidia stuff fare with AMD cards? Does it mean I'll have to use one of their graphic cards - this is the second time I've seen Nvidia specified, the first time was for their PhysX system. I don't really understand that part either that all the physics are server side. That sounds like you need extraordinary internet speed. I've experienced lag on games with just my computer doing physics - how is it going to handle all of it (I mean I see they are doing it).

I guess the question if anyone has the answer is... are they building the game for Nvidia cards alone? I remember they said Nvidia gave them lots of test cards to play with and they had personal talks with them but I wonder if this means I have to have a specific graphic card to play the game the way it's intended to act. How much is lost if you use AMD and is it even being tested.

I'm pretty sure I will have upgraded my computer by the time they release but something to know ahead of time, I guess.

They have a partnership with nvidia, i assume it'll be something related to certain cards, if i remember correctly it's a certain model of nvidia and better than can run it. I did read that they will not add either waveworks or Turf effects if it reduces their fps goal. That being said, it'll probably be like most games, something that you can turn on/off and the higher end machines will be able to have it. However, does that mean higher end machines will have a leg up because they can see tracks in the grass? I cannot wait to test it, even if it doesn't make it in :)

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

I really like where this game is headed.  I dislike PvP in my PvE games but I love PvP in a PvP focused game.  They are doing this the right way imo. 

My big problem now is that I don't have the time to play all of the games I'm interested in that will be coming out next year. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have not given the possibilities a lot of thought i will admit but i struggle to see how using this with this rpg setting will do anything.You know they will need to use the lowest settings for quality,not that matters much really as it will still accomplish the idea and look decent.

We already have snow/ice having sliding properties for many years now, as for turf physics i still cannot see how it can make the game any better.

How many turf properties do we have?grass,bushes,trees and that's about it?You can already hide behind a tree,what more can be done with a tree?You should already be able to hide in a bush,again what more?SO we are left with the demo of grass and you will need tall grass to make any difference,so ya unless someone can come up with some useful ideas ,i don't see the value here.

There is actually another problem i have seen in MANY games.Games tend to draw players at any distance as a black object  rendered against terrain it makes you stick out like a sore thumb,losing most of the terrain effects or blending in.

I know COD tried something funky to make players blend in at a distance but it looked fake,they were pretty much invisible.I guess the problem is how games do the draw distance and rendering at distances.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

Looks really good for it's early state. If they manage to recapture most of the early-DAoC magic it will be great. 

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Whenever someone (in this case, Cohh) spends an inordinate amount of time explaining the concept of an alpha and an even greater amount of time trying to tie it to the game discussed, my snake-oil salesman detection system starts flashing its warning signal.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have not given the possibilities a lot of thought i will admit but i struggle to see how using this with this rpg setting will do anything.You know they will need to use the lowest settings for quality,not that matters much really as it will still accomplish the idea and look decent.

We already have snow/ice having sliding properties for many years now, as for turf physics i still cannot see how it can make the game any better.

How many turf properties do we have?grass,bushes,trees and that's about it?You can already hide behind a tree,what more can be done with a tree?You should already be able to hide in a bush,again what more?SO we are left with the demo of grass and you will need tall grass to make any difference,so ya unless someone can come up with some useful ideas ,i don't see the value here.

There is actually another problem i have seen in MANY games.Games tend to draw players at any distance as a black object  rendered against terrain it makes you stick out like a sore thumb,losing most of the terrain effects or blending in.

I know COD tried something funky to make players blend in at a distance but it looked fake,they were pretty much invisible.I guess the problem is how games do the draw distance and rendering at distances.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the grass being flattened by an object going over it was tracking.  You'll be able to track people, tell when a large group recently walked through an area, etc.  That's just one quick idea.

Originally posted by grimgryphon

Whenever someone (in this case, Cohh) spends an inordinate amount of time explaining the concept of an alpha and an even greater amount of time trying to tie it to the game discussed, my snake-oil salesman detection system starts flashing its warning signal.

Have you seen exactly what they are doing with Alpha these days? That's why what was said was said.. Do you recall what some other games looked like in alpha? Let me briefly remind you.

#1 DAOC

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Have you seen exactly what they are doing with Alpha these days? That's why what was said was said.. Do you recall what some other games looked like in alpha? Let me briefly remind you.

[removed a bunch of useless images]

*woosh*

Optional PvP = No PvP