Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something to play as a mage, summoner, necromancer, etc.

PixelPandaPixelPanda Member Posts: 35

Hi folks,

normaly i am playing a melee class in my mmorpgs but recently i feel the urge to play a magical class, best would be a summoner, necromancer or witch (curses, familiar, buffs, etc.) or classical mage.

at the moment i am playing final Fantasy arr, but standing still most the time as a caster really annoys me.

is there a mmorpg with a class mentioned above where you are a little more mobile as a caster type class?

doesnt matter of it is 3D or 2D.

hope you can help me out .

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

As I don't really play casters, this is something I can offer little help with when it comes to current games.

Skyforge and Black Desert both have frequent movement with casters, I believe.  Tera might be an options as well.  Anything that's considered a brawler.

If you're just looking for an Online game in general, then Diablo III has some caster classes that fit your description (it's also on sale on Blizzard's launcher until tomorrow).

No doubt others will provide better information with their expertise in that class based area.

Good luck!

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    gw2
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Magic is i guess, traditionally not a mobile type of combat, it might just be that its not for you, in FFXIV;ARR, mobility is part of being an archer or pugilist/rogue type of class, but if you want to stick with magic, then perhaps arcanist is more your thing, as you use the conjured pet is used as a 'tank' to keep agro off of you, so that you can do your thing. image
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by parpin
    gw2

Guild Wars 2 is an option for this, as well.

Elementalists do move quite often with their spells.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • traeilliatraeillia Member UncommonPosts: 7
    GW2 as already mentioned as the entire combat system is based around constant movement. All skills can be cast as you move and dodge. There are several scholar classes with Necromancer a class that you can summon pets (minions), cast curses and create group buffs. Check out Necromancer.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Heh, and then there is the dreaded beast that's name should not be mentioned.. the game which is hated above all else. World of Warcraft, and dare i say it, Frost Mages, mobile, pet class and er.. pretty good in PVP image
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188
    would have said try vanguard, but as that's no longer around, why not give esol a try. you'd definitly not be standing around as a sorc' in that game

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by PixelPanda

Hi folks,

normaly i am playing a melee class in my mmorpgs but recently i feel the urge to play a magical class, best would be a summoner, necromancer or witch (curses, familiar, buffs, etc.) or classical mage.

at the moment i am playing final Fantasy arr, but standing still most the time as a caster really annoys me.

is there a mmorpg with a class mentioned above where you are a little more mobile as a caster type class?

doesnt matter of it is 3D or 2D.

hope you can help me out .

eq2 , has lots of casters , necro and conjurer as summoners ,  plenty of instant cast or really fast casting spells.

Gw2 as ppl have mentioned

for 2D , DFO has hit open beta some days ago , and has lots of casters that are all mobile

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Neverwinter Online has the Warlock, which has curses and a wraith pet (plus whatever regular companion you choose to combine it with. Plenty of demonic and undead critters to pick from).

Since it's action combat you'll be moving around a lot, and many of your abilities can be cast while on the move.

TERA may also be a decent choice, though I've never played a summoner high enough to really comment much on how they play.

On The Secret World you could also build yourself a witch with the right combination of skills and be mobile. Though it doesn't have any real summons AFAIK - only a few things like a turret, and I think a floating ball of energy that zap things a couple of times and then vanish.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Neverwinter Online has the Warlock, which has curses and a wraith pet (plus whatever regular companion you choose to combine it with. Plenty of demonic and undead critters to pick from).

Since it's action combat you'll be moving around a lot, and many of your abilities can be cast while on the move.

TERA may also be a decent choice, though I've never played a summoner high enough to really comment much on how they play.

On The Secret World you could also build yourself a witch with the right combination of skills and be mobile. Though it doesn't have any real summons AFAIK - only a few things like a turret, and I think a floating ball of energy that zap things a couple of times and then vanish.

Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Combat is mobile and casters can move while casting, though at reduced speed.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• PixelPandaPixelPanda Member Posts: 35
    After doing some researches i came to the conclusion that a dot class would be my thing.

As far as i know wow, rift and ff:arr all feature some sort of dot class. Any other games you can rocommend?
    If not, which of the three games mentioned above would you recommend for sonebody fresh in love with dot using magic classes?

Thanks a lot, you really helped me so far :-)
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    After doing some researches i came to the conclusion that a dot class would be my thing.

As far as i know wow, rift and ff:arr all feature some sort of dot class. Any other games you can rocommend?
    If not, which of the three games mentioned above would you recommend for sonebody fresh in love with dot using magic classes?

My main on Gw2 is Necro with condition damage. Stacking high damage bleeding while being quite tanky.

Gw2 also allows you to change your build at any time so you could swap to minions when you feel like it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

Of those three WoW. If you really want to enjoy yourself no matter which game you pick, try to join a guild who's key goal is helping each other out. WoW is great and all, but it gets boring real quick playing solo all the time, thats the same no matter what mmo you play.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Try EQ2's necromancer.  Amazing class to play.  It has poison and disease dots, powerful pets, great survivability.. 

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Elder Scrolls Online. Just went buy to play so no sub needed. They actually just buffed the Sorcerer summoning skill line. Best MMO out there in my opinion. Lots of options to play like you want with whatever weapon and armor etc. want to play a sorcerer who summons pets and wears plate while shooting a bow, you can do it. 
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    mmos. they are all the same. play skyrim modded and  grow your beard out. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

A bit odd that there's no mention of AoC, one of the best necros out there to play... with controlling your own undead squad, while casting DoTs and debuffs, getting additional help from the fallen foes in form of their souls as minions (parasitic soul swarm), life-leeching, etc. Their spell-weaving looks bad-ass too... :) AoC necro rocks.

(in the beginning it's a bit slow, but from the time you learn to summon the first Mutilators at around lvl10 it's great. Give it a try if you have some extra time, it's free anyways)