Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something interesting about Star Citizen....

superstarman22superstarman22 Member Posts: 17

According to La Times article :http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/01/star-wars-old-republic-cost.html

SWTOR cost around $200m, making it (at the time) the most expensive game ever made.

SC is thought to have a similar budget.

SC seems to be promising a lot more for the same price - did SWTOR eat up all that money on licenses?

I have heard people ask if TESO would have been more popular as an original IP. I actually tend to agree.

No trolls please.

I am here to have a legitimate discussion about Star Citizen and original IPs vs established franchises.

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

SWTOR burned up its budget on poor voice overs for even worst story quests. You could make a game much better than SWTOR for a lot less cash, they just wasted a ton of money on stuff that doesn't matter much.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

SWTOR also used a significant amount of money on classical (expensive !) marketing !

SC gets most advertisment "for free" from the (gaming) press as it is a new and (so far) unique phenomenon.

Have fun

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Weren't they up to $70 million at the moment or so? Then they'd need another $130 mil to get there.

That's a lot of ships to sell yet!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

number are irrelevant , Grand theft auto V cost $265 million to make, and was nowhere near the scale of SC, or SWTOR.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

It all just depends on priorities, and execution with said funds.  A lot of MMORPG games cost way less than 70 million to make.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Why is SC doing kickstarter stuff if they have such a huge budget?

They gathered a little over 2M so far

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Don't know if you noticed, but the scope of the game changed quite a bit since the kickstarter...

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Promises are cheap. Actually they cost nothing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Weren't they up to $70 million at the moment or so? Then they'd need another $130 mil to get there.

That's a lot of ships to sell yet!

That is 70 million untouched money,making it actually worth well over 100 closer to 150+.An investor and Publisher could easily leave them with near nothing and EXPECT more in return.WIth this money,they have nobody to answer to ,no banks,no investors,no publishers it is all their money.

So you had better see a 150+ million dollar game when it goes live ,OR wonder where the heck your money went.

As to SWTOR,i think that 200 number was exaggerated.I remember several years ago ,Zeni bantered about some 300 million investment they got and TRIED to mislead people into thinking it was all for SWTOR.When a few sites asked them directly about that,the truth came out,it was to invest into several games.

I would also bet they spent a lot on merchandising for SWTOR ,that  expense alone would cost a ton more than simply making CD discs.

I seriously cannot buy into the SC hype and can't figure how it came about.I highly doubt people gave him money based on that crap Wing series.I think it points more to EVE is not really as good as most claim and gamer's are looking for a better version.IMO SC does not have to do much at all to surpass what Eve has NOT done,so ya i guess it was an easy sell for them.

I do know this as well about EA because it came up when they were being sued about employee abuse.When they a product out fast and they always do,they force workers to work extra long hours,exhausted workers cannot possibly make a better quality game.EA will force a rushed product,likely why so much of SWTOR seemed unfinished,like a great idea but lacking a lot to pull it through.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Azoth

Don't know if you noticed, but the scope of the game changed quite a bit since the kickstarter...

I'm not really following the game.

But I still see them doing kickstarter, which is strange if they have a 200M budget.

So what are you saying, they started doing kickstarter, then somehow got their hands on this huge budget? Did they go in bed with some big publisher?

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

But I still see them doing kickstarter, which is strange if they have a 200M budget.

So what are you saying, they started doing kickstarter, then somehow got their hands on this huge budget? Did they go in bed with some big publisher?

They did the kickstarted, and after the huge success and big demand, keep doing crowdfunding. All the money they got is from ''donations'' no publisher is involved in the game.

They have over 200 people working on the game now some inhouse, some contractors. Do the maths, 5 years X 200 employee X (whichever salary you think those guys are getting) = a shit ton of money simply in salary. They think that they will gather about 100 million before release and expect it to be sufficient to complete all the features they promised.

They did the kickstarted, and after the huge success and big demand, keep doing crowdfunding. All the money they got is from ''donations'' no publisher is involved in the game.

They have over 200 people working on the game now some inhouse, some contractors. Do the maths, 5 years X 200 employee X (whichever salary you think those guys are getting) = a shit ton of money simply in salary. They think that they will gather about 100 million before release and expect it to be sufficient to complete all the features they promised.

I see

Thanks for the explanation.

So they're not really sitting on 200M. 

Quite a remarkable story though, so much fundings.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

So they're not really sitting on 200M. 

Quite a remarkable story though, so much fundings.

Nope. They got 76 M$ so far.  The first 6 million from a combined CIG crowdfunding campaign supported by a Kickstarter campaign running in parallel. When the Kickstarter campaign finished VERY successfully, CIG kept its OWN crowdfunding campaign running ... and this was successful beyond ANYONEs wildest dreams, including CIGs (adding another 70 mil$).

With much more money available than expected, CIG has revised their initial project plan and included much more ambitious objectives. A change in project timeline - well communicated to the backers - followed. So the project will take slightly longer than expected, but aim significantly higher w.r.t. scope, universe size, quality and technological standards.

Based on the current progression, the project will most likely have more than 100 million $ from crowdfunding at launch date.

Approx. 2000 new backers per day join the project. Thats avarage over the last half year.

Have fun

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127

The thing is, every dollar of budget in CIG's development model, is worth $4 dollars of traditional development model funding. Normal development has a LOT more money coming off the top from invested parties.

That effectively means that CIG has the equivalent of $307 million in funding compared to a traditionally funded game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Katilla

number are irrelevant , Grand theft auto V cost $265 million to make, and was nowhere near the scale of SC, or SWTOR.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

It all just depends on priorities, and execution with said funds.  A lot of MMORPG games cost way less than 70 million to make.

Destiny costed $500 million (development+advertising) and its nowhere near the scale of super mario bros.