Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger Alpha testing for Kickstarter screenshot.

FfolrakFfolrak Member UncommonPosts: 3

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Thought I'd post this to show off a game called Greed Monger. As a kickstarter backer I have access to this latest alpha version which was released on March 27th 2015.

I am in the process of building this house using a combination of prefab housing and the house building sections which players can craft. Sections include walls, doors windows etc in a variety of styles and clip together easily, just like a large lego set.

Comments

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    3 years in development and here's what they have:

http://www.greedmonger.com/?p=699
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

anyone else see the obvious ironic giant red flag

also the "lead developer" sounds like hes 15

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

Yesterday's Release is much more advanced then that video... That video is extremely old now based on the work that has been done.

Also for the record I am 30 years old... I was born January 17th 1985... I am NOT 15!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Is there a more recent video? Also, kinda looks like atavism resources. Is that correct?
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Pemmin

anyone else see the obvious ironic giant red flag

also the "lead developer" sounds like hes 15

Does the "greed" stand for "greed for kickstarter money" ?

The comments on the website are quite interesting too...

Originally posted by JamesP

Yesterday's Release is much more advanced then that video... That video is extremely old now based on the work that has been done.

Come on, that video was is marked being from January... enjoy your $90k.

Yes it was from January... But Yesterday's release IS far more advanced... And yeah I wish I had seen much of that $90k considering GM has basically been my life for the last 3 years... But sadly I've hardly seen any of it.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Originally posted by thundercles
    Is there a more recent video? Also, kinda looks like atavism resources. Is that correct?

There is no recent Video. I've been out of town Visiting Family and only have access to extremely slow Internet so I haven't been able to upload any videos. I'll be getting home the end of next week and I'll upload some videos of next week's Release. Yes we are using the Atavism MMO Framework for Unity3d. When I get home we will be upgrading to Unity5 so we will be using SpeedTree and all of the new Graphical Features and performance enhancements that comes with Unity5. We also use some Custom Plugins for Unity and for Atavism.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

There is no recent Video. I've been out of town Visiting Family and only have access to extremely slow Internet so I haven't been able to upload any videos. I'll be getting home the end of next week and I'll upload some videos of next week's Release. Yes we are using the Atavism MMO Framework for Unity3d. When I get home we will be upgrading to Unity5 so we will be using SpeedTree and all of the new Graphical Features and performance enhancements that comes with Unity5. We also use some Custom Plugins for Unity and for Atavism.

Sounds good, look forward to seeing it. I also am using atavism to play around but am still new with it.

Enjoy your trip!
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Maybe you should post a video of the "much more advanced" version then... because that January video, result of 3 years of work, is... quite sad, honestly. I feel like seeing the video of a game that would have been decent if it had been in alpha a dozen years ago.

EDIT: posted while you were typing. Yeah, better show that "advanced" version.

This said, if it's not a hoax, I admire your courage... trying to make a MMO nowadays with such funds is like Don Quichotte fighting the windmills. Problem is, people aren't charity, and they will want better than that before they feel like funding such a project in masses.

you know, to be successfull you do NOT need 11 million people like WoW has :)

best example is eve online imo, it has like 20k active player AT A TIME and AT ALL. all together i think the subs are around 5 or 600k.

if you do not spend several million dollars on production, marketing, people and whatnot (eg if you work in smaller scales), you "only" need to deliver good work and convince a few thousands :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Maybe you should post a video of the "much more advanced" version then... because that January video, result of 3 years of work, is... quite sad, honestly. I feel like seeing the video of a game that would have been decent if it had been in alpha a dozen years ago.

This said, if it's not a hoax, I admire your courage... trying to make a MMO nowadays with such funds is like Don Quichotte fighting the windmills. Problem is, people aren't charity, and they will want better than that before they feel like funding such a project in masses.

I'm sure you could do better. Let's see a video of a game you've made. I'll wait.

Graphics don't mean much if the gameplay is fun. Regardless, MMOs take years to make, even with big companies and large budgets. 

Sounds good, look forward to seeing it. I also am using atavism to play around but am still new with it. Enjoy your trip!

lol I've been gone since the middle of February It's about time for me to get home... I've had several Birthdays to go to and I've been helping my Cousins with Child Care after school... Not much of a Vacation plus working on Greed Monger still when I wasn't watching the kids. Plus being around the kids so much they have been kind enough to pass on just about every form of Cold and flu they possibly could... But I'll be home next Friday and can get back to my normal routine which will be fun.

How are you liking Atavism so far? When you get down into the Code there are some issues with it but the big things are the road map to be done by early summer so we will see how that goes.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Sounds good, look forward to seeing it. I also am using atavism to play around but am still new with it. Enjoy your trip!

lol I've been gone since the middle of February It's about time for me to get home... I've had several Birthdays to go to and I've been helping my Cousins with Child Care after school... Not much of a Vacation plus working on Greed Monger still when I wasn't watching the kids. Plus being around the kids so much they have been kind enough to pass on just about every form of Cold and flu they possibly could... But I'll be home next Friday and can get back to my normal routine which will be fun.

How are you liking Atavism so far? When you get down into the Code there are some issues with it but the big things are the road map to be done by early summer so we will see how that goes.

I like it pretty well. Setup was a beast, but all the videos helped.

I had 0 developing or programming experience and avatism has helped me and taught me a ton! I just use it as a hobby but it seems like it will be a helpful tool to use with unity for pro developers. Pumped for when they get it updated to maximize the updates from unity 5.

I like it pretty well. Setup was a beast, but all the videos helped. I had 0 developing or programming experience and avatism has helped me and taught me a ton! I just use it as a hobby but it seems like it will be a helpful tool to use with unity for pro developers. Pumped for when they get it updated to maximize the updates from unity 5.

Yeah when it supports Unity5 it will be awesome. I had a conference Call with the Founder of NeoJac entertainment the other day and he showed me some of the stuff they were working on with Unity5... It looks amazing. We just need to get Server Side Collision and Support for spreading the game out across multiple Servers and it will be all set. All of which is supposed to be implemented by early summer.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

I like it pretty well. Setup was a beast, but all the videos helped. I had 0 developing or programming experience and avatism has helped me and taught me a ton! I just use it as a hobby but it seems like it will be a helpful tool to use with unity for pro developers. Pumped for when they get it updated to maximize the updates from unity 5.

Yeah when it supports Unity5 it will be awesome. I had a conference Call with the Founder of NeoJac entertainment the other day and he showed me some of the stuff they were working on with Unity5... It looks amazing. We just need to get Server Side Collision and Support for spreading the game out across multiple Servers and it will be all set. All of which is supposed to be implemented by early summer.

That sounds awesome!! Hopefully more people can create and develop because of it. Hope avatism takes off.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I believe that James is genuinely interested in creating a good game.

I also strongly believe that this will a very difficult task with a douchebag like Jason Appleton on his back.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I also strongly believe that this will a very difficult task with a douchebag like Jason Appleton on his back.

Jason is taking some heat for this but he's actually doing what he needs to... Right now he's staying out of the public Spotlight so that no more incidents happen and he's allowing me and my team the chance to develop the game. Really when you think about it it's a lose/lose situation for him... If he was being more proactive and available to the community you would end up with people attacking him because of his past mistakes... Now he's being attacked because he isn't in the spot light more... So either way people would be attacking him for something... But like I've said on our Forum he's doing exactly what we need him to be doing... He sitting back funding GM's Development giving us the time we need to develop a great game. In the end it's all going to be worth it when we release a solid Sandbox game. As things progress through Alpha he will be getting more active with the Community again.

Until then though our KS Backers have access to our Alpha Client and I'll be releasing updates every Friday... Also Jason posted a KS Backer update today where he announced that we have in fact Licensed the VoxelFarm Voxel Terrain Engine... That should be getting into one of our next Updates.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Originally posted by Thane

you know, to be successfull you do NOT need 11 million people like WoW has :)

best example is eve online imo, it has like 20k active player AT A TIME and AT ALL. all together i think the subs are around 5 or 600k.

if you do not spend several million dollars on production, marketing, people and whatnot (eg if you work in smaller scales), you "only" need to deliver good work and convince a few thousands :)

Problem is, that January video would have been "good work", 15 years ago... not now.

Originally posted by mcrippins

I'm sure you could do better. Let's see a video of a game you've made. I'll wait.

Graphics don't mean much if the gameplay is fun. Regardless, MMOs take years to make, even with big companies and large budgets. 

That makes no sense. Let's see what cars you have repaired... wait, you don't repair cars? See what I did here.

If the guy who repairs my car does poor quality work, I won't praise him just because myself can't repair a car. Because that's actually exactly why I ask HIM to do it.

Would you praise a crappy restaurant just because you are unable to cook an egg? Yeah, you won't, because that's why you went to the restaurant.

What I see there is a game with not only poor graphics, but also utterly bad animations and gameplay, but still asking for crowd founding. Everything hints at just another crowd founded game which will never be finished and where the funders will just lose all their money.

That's the big problem with crowd founding... the few quality gems are lost in a sea or either intentionally malevolent attempts to reap people of their money (which I don't really think is the case here...), or honest attempts to create a good game but without any hope to ever achieve it because the developers totally underestimated what it really takes to make a MMORPG, which results in the same, the founders losing their money without anything to play.

Just for the record we have stopped taking any money at all. All of our Crowd funding options are closed.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

No Jason has other ways of funding GM... He's paying for alot of it out of his pocket and he has other sources... Not really at liberty to discuss it but he has his sources. We just aren't accepting Funding from the general Public anymore.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

No Jason has other ways of funding GM... He's paying for alot of it out of his pocket and he has other sources... Not really at liberty to discuss it but he has his sources. We just aren't accepting Funding from the general Public anymore.

Well, don't get me wrong, I wish you good luck, specially if you don't ask for crowd funding anymore. If you manage to finally make a worthy UO successor after so many failed ones, hell, I'll be the first to play it.

But remember the mistakes the other who claimed to be "UO successors" made... like forced FFA PvP and that kind of things. Don't make the same mistakes on top of the already difficult task of creating a working MMO with a decent engine.

There is no forced FFA PvP or atleast no world wide FFA PvP. We will have zones setup which has PvP enabled but you will have plenty of warning when entering one of these zones. Some Resources and mobs will only be found in these areas so it will give people a reason beyond just PvP for going into these areas but if your solely a Crafter who is in need of the resources found in the PvP areas you can either Create a Contract and let people bid on the contract or hire a band of mercenaries to protect you in the PvP zone.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

im kinda in agreement with jean

if whats is in the video is after 3 years of development you may be late to the mmo sandbox party. crowd funding has created a rather odd bubble for sandbox mmos that is going to burst at some point. you really want your game to be in  a release state by then. Everybody saw the market dynamic shift after Swtor's rocky release, and now we have a large number of UO spiritual successors using Eve(which is bad...Eve has basically had its own market for over a decade) as an inspiration flooding the market all competing for crowd funding and eventually the same "niche" player base.

i mean don't get me wrong i generally wish all games to do well because its better for the industry as a whole....this is especially true for small indie developers.  but there is a lot of competition out their now and probably more to come.

That Video from January actually only Represent a Couple months at the most of work... I have 3 totally different unique versions of Greed Monger that I have developed. Each version uses a Different Networking Backend. 1 uses the Atavism MMO Framework by NeoJac Entertainment, 1 uses uLink by MuchDifferent, and the 3rd one uses a Completely Custom MMO Framework that I created based off of the Lidgren Networking Library. Each network backend has it's own Positives and Negatives.

My Custom Framework called the UniVerse MMO Framework was designed from the Ground up for Seamless Openworld MMOs... Downside to it is that it's never been load tested so I have no idea how many people it can support concurrently. uLink has been heavily tested and has a number of Shipped Products created with it however it doesn't support seamless openworld MMOs with out purchasing a License for uPikko Server which is only available to select AAA Companies at the moment so not a solution we could get. Atavism is quick and easy for the basic stuff and supports Custom Built Server side Plugins for your Custom Features however it's still in development and doesn't support the features needed to allow it to scale. Based on the Roadmap though the Scaling features will be implemented by early summer. 

So I've been working on these 3 versions of GM side by side over the course of the last couple years. One of the more time consuming things I've had to work on is actually Coding UniVerse which took time.

The Version I have finally decided to concentrate on though IS the Atavism Version with the final missing features due to arrive by early Summer I believe it's the best option to get us to where we need to be. It's all a gamble though but I have the other 2 version of Greed Monger to fall back on if Atavism Doesn't work out.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

That Video from January actually only Represent a Couple months at the most of work... I have 3 totally different unique versions of Greed Monger that I have developed. Each version uses a Different Networking Backend. 1 uses the Atavism MMO Framework by NeoJac Entertainment, 1 uses uLink by MuchDifferent, and the 3rd one uses a Completely Custom MMO Framework that I created based off of the Lidgren Networking Library. Each network backend has it's own Positives and Negatives.My Custom Framework called the UniVerse MMO Framework was designed from the Ground up for Seamless Openworld MMOs... Downside to it is that it's never been load tested so I have no idea how many people it can support concurrently. uLink has been heavily tested and has a number of Shipped Products created with it however it doesn't support seamless openworld MMOs with out purchasing a License for uPikko Server which is only available to select AAA Companies at the moment so not a solution we could get. Atavism is quick and easy for the basic stuff and supports Custom Built Server side Plugins for your Custom Features however it's still in development and doesn't support the features needed to allow it to scale. Based on the Roadmap though the Scaling features will be implemented by early summer. So I've been working on these 3 versions of GM side by side over the course of the last couple years. One of the more time consuming things I've had to work on is actually Coding UniVerse which took time.The Version I have finally decided to concentrate on though IS the Atavism Version with the final missing features due to arrive by early Summer I believe it's the best option to get us to where we need to be. It's all a gamble though but I have the other 2 version of Greed Monger to fall back on if Atavism Doesn't work out.

Why didnt you take a design first approtch instead of working on 3 diffrent codebases?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Dakeru

QFT

James, I sure hope you are keeping a record of the development process and all the douch-baggery that is going on behind the scenes.  I would love to see your honest account of this whole journey 5 years from now. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Nitth

That Video from January actually only Represent a Couple months at the most of work... I have 3 totally different unique versions of Greed Monger that I have developed. Each version uses a Different Networking Backend. 1 uses the Atavism MMO Framework by NeoJac Entertainment, 1 uses uLink by MuchDifferent, and the 3rd one uses a Completely Custom MMO Framework that I created based off of the Lidgren Networking Library. Each network backend has it's own Positives and Negatives.

My Custom Framework called the UniVerse MMO Framework was designed from the Ground up for Seamless Openworld MMOs... Downside to it is that it's never been load tested so I have no idea how many people it can support concurrently. uLink has been heavily tested and has a number of Shipped Products created with it however it doesn't support seamless openworld MMOs with out purchasing a License for uPikko Server which is only available to select AAA Companies at the moment so not a solution we could get. Atavism is quick and easy for the basic stuff and supports Custom Built Server side Plugins for your Custom Features however it's still in development and doesn't support the features needed to allow it to scale. Based on the Roadmap though the Scaling features will be implemented by early summer. 

So I've been working on these 3 versions of GM side by side over the course of the last couple years. One of the more time consuming things I've had to work on is actually Coding UniVerse which took time.

The Version I have finally decided to concentrate on though IS the Atavism Version with the final missing features due to arrive by early Summer I believe it's the best option to get us to where we need to be. It's all a gamble though but I have the other 2 version of Greed Monger to fall back on if Atavism Doesn't work out.

Why didnt you take a design first approtch instead of working on 3 diffrent codebases?

We knew what we needed when we started out... When we started on our uLink version we were in talks with them to try and get uPikko. The Talks failed to get us any where though but we continued using uLink in hopes that something down the line would come up so that we could get uPikko...

After a while of nothing coming up and my attempts to approach things creatively with uLink to make it work in a Seamless world Environment failed I started looking into other options and decided to start designing Universe. After about a Weekend on it I had enough of UniVerse working that I was able to get a small prototype developed. It was extremely basic but had mobs running around, basic Combat, and the start of a Questing System. Since then a ton more work has gone into UniVerse and I just about have a Product I can start really testing and perhaps even license out. Right now it works great for small lobby based Multiplayer games but hasn't been tested in a full MMO Environment. It has it's own Master Server for a Lobby, Authentication Server, World Server, and Zone/Region Server. It's able to be used in any C# Based Game Engine and I've even integrated it into a Custom MOgre based Game Engine I had developed before joining GM. 

Even with all this work that has gone into UniVerse I've been extremely concerned about using it for the first time in GM with out it properly being tested. So When Atavism was released we talked with NeoJac entertainment and they talked us into licensing Atavism. Features with Atavism however have been delayed so I've continued working on all 3 Version side by side just in case things with Atavism Failed. 

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by JamesP That Video from January actually only Represent a Couple months at the most of work... I have 3 totally different unique versions of Greed Monger that I have developed. Each version uses a Different Networking Backend. 1 uses the Atavism MMO Framework by NeoJac Entertainment, 1 uses uLink by MuchDifferent, and the 3rd one uses a Completely Custom MMO Framework that I created based off of the Lidgren Networking Library. Each network backend has it's own Positives and Negatives.   My Custom Framework called the UniVerse MMO Framework was designed from the Ground up for Seamless Openworld MMOs... Downside to it is that it's never been load tested so I have no idea how many people it can support concurrently. uLink has been heavily tested and has a number of Shipped Products created with it however it doesn't support seamless openworld MMOs with out purchasing a License for uPikko Server which is only available to select AAA Companies at the moment so not a solution we could get. Atavism is quick and easy for the basic stuff and supports Custom Built Server side Plugins for your Custom Features however it's still in development and doesn't support the features needed to allow it to scale. Based on the Roadmap though the Scaling features will be implemented by early summer.  So I've been working on these 3 versions of GM side by side over the course of the last couple years. One of the more time consuming things I've had to work on is actually Coding UniVerse which took time. The Version I have finally decided to concentrate on though IS the Atavism Version with the final missing features due to arrive by early Summer I believe it's the best option to get us to where we need to be. It's all a gamble though but I have the other 2 version of Greed Monger to fall back on if Atavism Doesn't work out.
      ..... Why didnt you take a design first approtch instead of working on 3 diffrent codebases?
    We knew what we needed when we started out... When we started on our uLink version we were in talks with them to try and get uPikko. The Talks failed to get us any where though but we continued using uLink in hopes that something down the line would come up so that we could get uPikko...

After a while of nothing coming up and my attempts to approach things creatively with uLink to make it work in a Seamless world Environment failed I started looking into other options and decided to start designing Universe. After about a Weekend on it I had enough of UniVerse working that I was able to get a small prototype developed. It was extremely basic but had mobs running around, basic Combat, and the start of a Questing System. Since then a ton more work has gone into UniVerse and I just about have a Product I can start really testing and perhaps even license out. Right now it works great for small lobby based Multiplayer games but hasn't been tested in a full MMO Environment. It has it's own Master Server for a Lobby, Authentication Server, World Serer, and Zone/Region Server. It's able to be used in any C# Based Game Engine and I've even integrated it into a Custom MOgre based Game Engine I had developed before joining GM. 

Even with all this work that has gone into UniVerse I've been extremely concerned about using it for the first time in GM with out it properly being tested. So When Atavism was released we talked with NeoJac entertainment and they talked us into licensing Atavism. Features with Atavism however have been delayed so I've continued working on all 3 Version side by side just in case things with Atavism Failed. 

Sounds like you had some bad luck with that. Still dont understand why you went the first vendor if they didnt satisfy your requiremtents initally, but i supose all that doent matter now.

Anyways, I was just curious.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

We have run into some bad luck... But all of this SHOULD have been done before we ever hit Kickstarter. It's easy to look back after the fact and see where you should have done things differently though.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

This discussion has been closed.