Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changed much since release? Thinking of trying again.

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I left SWTOR after about a month when it first released. Like many others' I just didn't think it met with expectations. I thought the story side weighed down the fun and I couldn't get over the laziness of all of the npcs and bad guys stood statically around, with all the mobs in groups of three and no movement patterns. I couldn't take it seriously.

i have noticed since then that SWTOR seems to be a lot of people's first or second game and perhaps it's worth a retry as I'm sure the game will have evolved. 

So has much changed and would someone like me who doesn't mind theme parks see a few improvements since release?

Thanks.

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by cura
    They added starfighter combat and housing. The rest of new content is more or less like base game

And lots of QoL stuff. (also a groupfinder, since that wasn't in at launch)

But the gameplay that the OP hated is still the same. If someone doesn't like story in their MMO, SWTOR will always be a poor choice for them. (Since they're never going to ditch it)

That being said, you can level entirely through Starfighter, Warzones or Flashpoints though (especially with the tactical ones that scale with the group's level).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I left after the Ilum fiasco my first go around after playing from beta, and have been back about 2 months now.

The gameplay itself is much the same as it was.  NPC behaviors haven't changed in any noticeable way, and the story is still what it is.

There are a few bells, whistles and bobbles here and there that have been added but nothing that would make me say the game has changed a lot.  If you only spent a month in game, I believe there are more flashpoints than there were.

The trek to 50 didn't feel quite as grueling to me.  I don't know if they changed the XP curve, or it's just the added xp bonuses received from my guild and consumables that I get that made it a quicker run.

I've gotten through some of the first expansion's content, it plays like the rest of the game.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by nolf

I left after the Ilum fiasco my first go around after playing from beta, and have been back about 2 months now.

The gameplay itself is much the same as it was.  NPC behaviors haven't changed in any noticeable way, and the story is still what it is.

There are a few bells, whistles and bobbles here and there that have been added but nothing that would make me say the game has changed a lot.  If you only spent a month in game, I believe there are more flashpoints than there were.

The trek to 50 didn't feel quite as grueling to me.  I don't know if they changed the XP curve, or it's just the added xp bonuses received from my guild and consumables that I get that made it a quicker run.

I've gotten through some of the first expansion's content, it plays like the rest of the game.

The various XP boosts make it faster, along with the bonus xp you get from being a sub (which is what I think you're seeing the most). ^^

Besides, for those who want it to go faster, there's always the Legacy XP boosting perks too. As for the flashpoints, I think they've double in number since launch, the storyline leading up to the latest expansion added 4 by itself, with a few more being added with SoR itself. Then there's the 2 Czerka related ones and Kuat driveyards. (The Rakghouls FPs are also new if someone left soon after launch)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Why did Bioware not turn ILUM like it was into a warzone instance?

It would work perfectly, just bring it back in the original condition! Finally one huge warzone would be great.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

The various XP boosts make it faster, along with the bonus xp you get from being a sub (which is what I think you're seeing the most). ^^

Besides, for those who want it to go faster, there's always the Legacy XP boosting perks too. As for the flashpoints, I think they've double in number since launch, the storyline leading up to the latest expansion added 4 by itself, with a few more being added with SoR itself. Then there's the 2 Czerka related ones and Kuat driveyards. (The Rakghouls FPs are also new if someone left soon after launch)

As for XP, for the next 48 hours you get a 200% XP bonus.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

There's an xp bonus for subbing?  Shows how much I pay attention.

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

It would work perfectly, just bring it back in the original condition! Finally one huge warzone would be great.

*spacebar*

The first rule of Ilum is we don't talk about Ilum.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

PVP farming mechanics and the fact that the game engine could not support mass pvp at the time.

Don't know if they changed the graphics engine or upgraded it to the point yet where you can pvp with >20/30 or more ppl without getting a 1 frame/minute slideshow.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by mark2123

I left SWTOR after about a month when it first released. Like many others' I just didn't think it met with expectations. I thought the story side weighed down the fun and I couldn't get over the laziness of all of the npcs and bad guys stood statically around, with all the mobs in groups of three and no movement patterns. I couldn't take it seriously.

i have noticed since then that SWTOR seems to be a lot of people's first or second game and perhaps it's worth a retry as I'm sure the game will have evolved. 

So has much changed and would someone like me who doesn't mind theme parks see a few improvements since release?

Thanks.

As Azaron says the gameplay hasn't changed.

If the story side, npcs, static bad guys, no movement patterns etc. led you to leave then coming back is probably going to rekindle "bad" memories rather than the "warm nostalgia" you can sometimes get from returning to a game.

If its a SW "fix" that you are looking for then maybe Battlefront? (Debuts 16-19th April, no release date yet though). 

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214

I too started when it first launched but the game play wasnt what bothered me it was all the bugs that were in missions. I love the story lines I really do believe they did a good job of it but it was the friggin bugs. Yes in second place it was getting lagged out. I waited for another year before going back just to see some improvements and yes there were some not as buggy or lag being as problematic as before. then I stopped playing again another issued I had was with their  CS man they were by far the worst ever. Today I have been back for 2 weeks now  alot has changed for me. 

The story in the new expansion is pretty good to me no real bugs to speak of or at least none that I have found that would be game breakin. I do now enjoy it a lot more than previous and I hope to continue for a few more months maybe stay with a little bit longer. To me it is probably  the most beautify MMO out there. Still have some those lag issues Just my 2 cents worth

not a bad price if ya hurry 39.99 for the expansion plus 2 months and some cartel coins but better hurry.