Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new isometric mmorpg

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I've just started playing Divinity: Original Sin and I'm blown away. I'm looking forward to Pillars of Eternity next.

I was kind of down on the concept of the isometric mmorpg, never having played UO. But now the idea of a new one -- a world with detail -- is starting to grow on me in a big way.

Are there any games like this in the pipeline? Do you think someone will do such an mmorpg in future? If so, I think it will be huge, if well done with love and care like D:OS.

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by d_20

I've just started playing Divinity: Original Sin and I'm blown away. I'm looking forward to Pillars of Eternity next.

I was kind of down on the concept of the isometric mmorpg, never having played UO. But now the idea of a new one -- a world with detail -- is starting to grow on me in a big way.

Are there any games like this in the pipeline? Do you think someone will do such an mmorpg in future? If so, I think it will be huge, if well done with love and care like D:OS.

Shards Online. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Here you go, have another one!

https://albiononline.com/

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Awesome! Thanks guys.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Hey Ladies, are these games MMORPGs, CORPGs, or simply RPGs?

I want to play a Isometric MMO but tired of being pointed to another Diablo like game.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DetectiveChatDetectiveChat Member Posts: 29
    SOOOOO basically all the K-MMOs?

Got milk?

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I'd love a true iso mmo.  I'm usually the guy that says gameplay over graphics but UO is just painful to look at these days.  I backed shards and it looks promising but the only time I've ever been able to play it was during their first kickstarter where it was basically just a pvp deathmatch with stream viewers.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Mmmmmmmmmm, so shiny. Can't wait for this one. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Mmmmmmmmmm, so shiny. Can't wait for this one. 

Gotta admit it looks good. Much better than Albion for me due to the different rulesets and the moddable community worlds.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
     If you enjoyed DOS you might to consider trying single player wasteland 2 and tides of numenera (release date later this year i think).
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    I'm a bit sick of "Diablo" clones where you can't see the sky, rotate the camera in full 3D... it's anti-immersive to me nowadays. It was fine back then in UO, but not today.

I was like that but I am slowly getting back into them.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Even a 2D isometric MMORPG wouldn't be bad.  It would probably be cheaper to build and allow for more effort to go into other things.

As far as Diablo I don't like it.  Not because of the Isometric camera, but because there really isn't anything to do, but grind for loot and get paragon levels.  There isn't really any adventure in the adventure.  It is only fighting.  I probably would have been ok with that many years ago, but not now.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    There was Dransik/Ashen Empires, for that traditionalist feel.  Unfortunately, despite the old school pedigree, it wasn't supported enough to keep the small team afloat.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Lost Ark and Lineage Eternal would maybe be something for you. Unfortunately those games are still some time away from release.