Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no Accountability for Game Developers

KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

As a long time MMO player, I've seen developers come and go. The current market is nothing more than a Smash and Grab Robbery. They come out with a new game, give it a founders pack with early access to get you hooked then make a shit game.
The worst is when you have a sub game that has long subscription options 6-12 months or more, then the game goes free to play.

Now its even worse with the new crime.. Crowd funding. What a joke. Hey give me your money and in a few years when we go live you can play it. Sad part is, there are 1000's of people willing to pay for the chance of taking part in a game they have very limited knowledge of.

In the current market its been proven that you don't have to make a good game to get paid. There are numerous examples out there.

What happened to Developers who are in it to make a solid game along with making money.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
Battle Station 

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Problems...people "give" their money and are not forced.  People need to be smarter not more protected by big brother.  As for accountability if people were smarter then these people would go bankrupt.  So long as fools want to give there money there is no hope.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    do u know the difference between publishers & developers? Seems like u don't.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Nevulus

*ding ding ding*

As far as accountability goes. Who actually has some? I remember this time I bought Diego backpack for one of my kids (cuz that's what kids wanted at the time). When I opened it up there was a FREAKIN' KNIFE IN IT!!!! Not like a plastic one, like a F$#@ING SHARP and REAL packing knife.

I immediately called the company and they took down my information and acted mildly concerned before telling me they would definitely look into it. 

Unfortunately if a lack of accountability is a big deal for you, then life is going to be a real let done. That being said, if you're someone who actually IS accountable for your actions, good on you! That's a great trait to have and more uncommon that you'd believe.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Problems...people "give" their money and are not forced.  People need to be smarter not more protected by big brother.  As for accountability if people were smarter then these people would go bankrupt.  So long as fools want to give there money there is no hope.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

- Albert Einstein

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I agree with OP.

There's a balance between allowing business as much freedom as possible, while at the same time making sure that underdelivering won't be a viable way to make profit.

Kickstarter, Early access, etc. would be good tools, but right now our consumer protection is lagging behind and it's creating a situation where companies aiming to grab cash and deliver inferior products can succeed and thrive just as well as companies making great products.

Better consumer protection would be good, because every dollar lost to cash grabs quickly turns into 2 dollars that won't be given to good products because the people get disappointed and won't trust even those devs who do their best to give us as good game as possible.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So the OP is upset that a company sells early access and the actual release is nothing like the testing phase? I'm pretty sure there are always disclaimers stating that the game is subjected to change upon official release.....
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Why the fuck should someone know the difference between a publisher and a developer in order to purchase a game?

I though we were buying products and services from them, not working for them. Making an educated purchase should mean you've spend 20 minutes reading some reviews and watching a trailer. If more research than that is needed for purchasing something as simple a game then that game is not worth purchasing because it's too much work.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Krimzin

As a long time MMO player, I've seen developers come and go. The current market is nothing more than a Smash and Grab Robbery. They come out with a new game, give it a founders pack with early access to get you hooked then make a shit game.
    The worst is when you have a sub game that has long subscription options 6-12 months or more, then the game goes free to play.

Now its even worse with the new crime.. Crowd funding. What a joke. Hey give me your money and in a few years when we go live you can play it. Sad part is, there are 1000's of people willing to pay for the chance of taking part in a game they have very limited knowledge of.

In the current market its been proven that you don't have to make a good game to get paid. There are numerous examples out there.

What happened to Developers who are in it to make a solid game along with making money.

Your first part is just common practice that developers come and go. The only one "accountable would be the game company as a whole.

If ap person buy's a founder pack or early acces and feel the game is shit I suspect that person did not read what he was actually buying. Else he or she would have known.

Now with the new "crime" serieusly?

What the current market might have taught some people is that others might have different taste, like other things, play differently. A poor made game would actually be a game nobody is going to play. But on these forums that seems not the case as people asume just because they themself feel something is a poor game everyone else should feel the same way. Some even go as far as making topic not understanding why some games are enjoyed.<not in reference to OP)

I truly believe regardless what gamecompany that developers alway's try to make a solid game. But developers are only a part of a game, surely the most important part but there are more people involved that might prevent that developer to excel.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Vrika
    I am willfully ignorant, and it is someone else's fault if I make a bad purchase.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Developers are forever haunted by their "mistakes" by communities like this one.

How many people still fault/hate Smed for the SWG CU & NGE?

How many people still fault/hate Paul Barnett for Warhammer?

Richard G for Tabula Rasa?

Brad McQuaid for Vanguard?

Probably more I can't remember.

Any dev who attaches their name to a game risks their reputation on said game. I'd call that accountability.

If you idiots buy the same crap over and over again from the same cheats, well that is your fault.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Now let us list other producers of entertainment that have no accountability...

Movie studios

Tv show producers

Music producers and record companies (not to mention the product... ahem i mean artists)

Marvel/DC

The entire XXX sector

Netflix

Blockbu... Oh yeah sorry...

Why do people keep on ignore the fact that games are a biz like any other... Not a altruistic endeavour...

This have been a good conversation

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Developer accountability...you mean their job surely. So when a game sucks and goes out of business that dev loses their job.

I think the game industry is one of the few that IS actually accountable for their products since it is very senstive to product success or failure determining if a company can continue onto their next project. The industry is expensive to create AAA productions with very long production cycles with plenty of room for error. Not many developers can scape by on more than 2 failed projects.

Sure some can get by from game launch to game launch with slick marketing and a decent enough game for sales...but the real problem you seem to have is what other people do with their money from your jab at F2P and Crowdfunding.

Who cares what others do with their money? If people support a "bad" developer or game let them do as they please!

Lets play a little game ourselves about judging other peoples expenditures as worthy and unworthy filtered by our own personal tastes much like you are applying to what you consider Smash and Grab robberies from games going F2P or seeking crowdfunding. 

Your car! The beast! You love it, I can tell because you have a picture of it for your avatar and in your signature.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img837/6252/nm6m.jpg

I however think it is too flashy, over priced and pretty wasteful due to speed limits or even gas consumption. Sad part is, there are 1000's of people willing to pay for cars like that and don't even race them at a track! 

That said, ^^^ is just an example of how personal taste filters for hobby based purchases, be it sports cars or video games, are difficult to state opinion as factual.

Oh and your car is nice, and I am delighted that you take pride in something you seem to have spent alot of time and money on.

I am just worn out of seeing so many threads bash others for what they spend their money on :(

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They can be the same entity example SOE ,SQUARE ENIX,Blizzard need i say more?

What does publisher/developer have to do with accountability?

NO matter who makes it or publish's the game,there still should be some form of accountability.There should NEVER be a system where you take a person's money and just say thanks.

Developer's  HIRE internal testers,pay THEM money,so why should gamer's pay THEM to test THEIR products?

Also why should a developer get 70 million FREE money,get some good lawyers,defer it into quarters and likely pay  VERY little tax and not have some accountability for YOUR money.There is a whole list of games on Steam that had a nice idea and a nice early access,so called ALPHA game,then disappear,no more content,it is like the developer died.

There should be disclosed expenditures,i bet Robert's has his wife,family,relatives all under the payroll of YOUR money that is suppose to be going to the game.

In real life,if you invest money to someone or an entity,you expect something in return that involves money or some thing similar,NOT a game,"here you can play my game now"  lmao..This is why this new wave of money grabbing is so popular,it is a no lose for the developer,tons of downside for the people handing over money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Developer's  HIRE internal testers,pay THEM money,so why should gamer's pay THEM to test THEIR products?

Because no QA team can match what a few thousand people randomly do. Should they let you do it for free... Sure... But my bet is that the conversion rate from burnt out tester to customer on long projects is pretty poor. Also mass testing is not exactly free either... Servers, server techs, support, bandwidth, electricity, qa/support and so on.,.. It all cost money.

Originally posted by Wizardry

There should be disclosed expenditures,i bet Robert's has his wife,family,relatives all under the payroll of YOUR money that is suppose to be going to the game.

In real life,if you invest money to someone or an entity,you expect something in return that involves money or some thing similar,NOT a game,"here you can play my game now"  lmao..This is why this new wave of money grabbing is so popular,it is a no lose for the developer,tons of downside for the people handing over money.

Ok the first part... If they work for the company they should get paid like everyone else. If he can support his family on his pay without them working.. good for him... Your statement make no sense.

But in real life you are not a INVESTOR in the game industry... Heck even for SC you are a customer... No matter how they spin it to make you feel better. You buy a product, or in the case of SC you pre-pay a product.

You... Are... A... Customer...  You only expected return is the product you paid for... Heck in the case of most Crowd-funding/Kickstarter you are not even a customer... you make a donation... So in reality you are not really entitled to anything. You can expect ZERO return. Not even a product as you have not bought anything per se. (now most CF sites have a policy that protects you from that aspect)

But you are not a investor, you are not a shareholder, you are not a venture capitalist... You are a customer... No matter if they call it a "founder" or a "early adopter"... And that is the naked truth.

This have been a good conversation

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by tawess

Now let us list other producers of entertainment that have no accountability...

Movie studios

Tv show producers

Music producers and record companies (not to mention the product... ahem i mean artists)

Marvel/DC

The entire XXX sector

Netflix

Blockbu... Oh yeah sorry...

Why do people keep on ignore the fact that games are a biz like any other... Not a altruistic endeavour...

don't forget to add the entire software sector

phone/internet/cable companies

marketing companies

insurance companies

banks

most world governments

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    So Star Citizen just put out a sweet new ship for a couple hundred bucks, also I have some ocean front property in Arizona I am selling for cheap. 
  • nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I would say that the current developer landscape is proof positive that there is accountability for GDs.

No more big money is flowing in to produce MMOs, and they have had to resort to begging.

Massive shift to F2P models after the community shunned the concept of a sub.  Not because subs are bad, but because THEY AREN'T PRODUCING GAMES WORTH A MONTHLY FEE.

Pure market accountability at work.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

That doesn't invalidate his point at all.  Don't fall down the rabbit hole of corrective spelling and terminology when reading peoples posts.  You know the point he's trying to make this isn't a test and your not the teacher.

And if you want to get technical allot of games these days are self published in a way not the traditional publishing methods where the developer is funded and the publisher has design control.   Or they are kickstarted.  In both cases the developer has total control over content.  And the burden of success or failure is squarely on their shoulders.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by MisterZebub

Really? Nope sorry I emphatically disagree. If a game developer fucks up they go under. Gone, dead, zip, zero, nada.

However, if a game player fucks up,  E.G. blindly supporting a game that ends up going nowhere, they just jump to the next pathetic fix and continue to throw away their money.

Who is the biggest dickhead? The person who offers the next "perfect" poison, or the deluded addict that queues up to pay for it, time and fucking time again.

Seconded!

And eloquently stated, I might add! image

My favorite statement here was when Wizardry said that these people "Take" your money.

Sorry guys but actually, that is you, giving it to them.  And if you don't give it to them, then they are accountable for that.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479
    I disagree.  Developers making bad games gives them a bad name and people remember.  Word of mouth and reviews also matter alot for sales.  The bottom line is that people do keep track and they are held accountable.  Metacritic is a great resource to get a quick and concise conglomeration of all the reviews for a game and also what users think of the game.  Not looking up the metacritic review before you purchase the game is a good way to waste money on a bad game.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Everything that is "wrong" with MMOs is the fault of the consumer--games in general actually.  When gamers stop buying games the day they come out; instead waiting 1-6 months, the industry will have to make better products or lose money on games.

People still don't get it.  MMOs make more money in pre-sales and first weeks buys then they do in the next 12 months of subscriptions.  Collectors edition + 3 month game time = not giving a shit if people play for 3 years because I recoup my investment quickly and then spit the FTP/BTP model out for one more cash grab.

Edit: This is capitalism.  Money is king and the only power any consumer has is where and when they choose to their money.  We, as consumers, have far more power and squander it regularly. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    edited September 2015

Post edited by ArtificeVenatus on
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I agree that the trend of early-access payments, crowd funding, and now even sub-options for games that are not even in alpha is weird to say the least. However, I think devs have greater accountability than what is demanded in many other jobs. Basically their jobs depend on making games that sell well, or at least do ok.

Similarly to running your own business I imagine it is quite a stressful position that people choose to do because they prioritize pursing their dream over getting a steady comfy job. 

I have seen many threads with people saying devs are just out for cash grabs and so forth, but the effort and risk involved in creating a mmo is not something any sane person would go through just for a quick cash grab. That doesn't mean there aren't ratbags that are just trying to scam you, but to claim the whole market is doing that is unfair.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by MMOman101

Everything that is "wrong" with MMOs is the fault of the consumer--games in general actually.  When gamers stop buying games the day they come out; instead waiting 1-6 months, the industry will have to make better products or lose money on games.

People still don't get it.  MMOs make more money in pre-sales and first weeks buys then they do in the next 12 months of subscriptions.  Collectors edition + 3 month game time = not giving a shit if people play for 3 years because I recoup my investment quickly and then spit the FTP/BTP model out for one more cash grab.

Edit: This is capitalism.  Money is king and the only power any consumer has is where and when they choose to their money.  We, as consumers, have far more power and squander it regularly. 

That's my strategy, I wait till the dust has settled. Don't care if I am not there when it launches or if I fall behind on the leveling/gear grind.

If the game is good it will be ok after 3-6 months, if not, I will hear it and save my $60 for something else what is worth it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"