Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It hard to say goodbye to a game that you love.

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by bowmanjoe

wow almost 1000 views and not a single reply.  guess i failed here.

note to self: dont spill guts on internet.

So what exactly am I supposed to reply ?

I never even played Ashteron's Call and you didnt said it was an excessive rant about that game in the title.

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Dear Opener,

i think you have bigger underlying problems. mmos are just fillling the void you have. you really have to address this by being very honest to you. 2 years in front of a pc being addicted. you have no idea how much you hurt your back spine and muscles and how much vitamin d you are lacking. 

start doing strenght training and go outside. its crucial. and stop being so weak minded that something like a mmo can make you addicted. nothing on earth makes me addicted. i am a streght athlete, mind sport athlete and videogame and anime nerd. you can be yourself but stop being so weak in every aspect. 

you smell like weakness to me. get the shit done and change your void.

why im writing this? cause i was similar. my void was unemployment and i described basicly myself. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Sorry OP, I come here to get game information from other forum members on gaming. That being said, I didn't read but the first paragraph because my attention span sucks. If you could put your post in an audiobook format perhaps, I could listen to it when I do yard work. No matter what, I hope you get whatever answer you were looking for! /salute

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

A couple of things:

1) First, many of us use cell phones to read MMORPG.com, and they aren't set up for a post like yours, hence it's common to skip the overly large ones, especially when the OP graciously provides fair warning.

2) It is also common for someone with an overly long post to include either at the top or bottom a TLDR version, summarizing the key points you are trying to make, and it usually should be relevant to the title.

3) Titles should be accurate.  I thought you wanted to know how other people felt about leaving a game, but I see in glancing through that really wasn't your intent at all, rather you posted a long goodbye your guildmates chocked full of helpful advise to them.

4)  Probably should be moved over to the AC forums, since it's really about activities in that game, but likely the moderators here haven't realized yet what the post is really about, they didn't read it either.

5) What was your purpose sharing this here?  You don't state either at front nor back why, not even that you were looking for feedback until subsequent posts. 

6)  If people don't respond, no need to be self-deprecating, people will be more than happy to tear you down, and yes, you are correct, not a good idea to spill your guts on the Internet, most people don't care, and if they take notice, it will be to mock you more often than not.

One final comment on actual contents of your post.  Black and red for guild colors.  No need for all that deep rationalization, most everyone who wants to look like a bad-ass chooses black and red because it looks "cool", no other justification necessary.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I also only read the first few and last few paragraphs, and am also curious to know at what point in the middle you went completely insane?
  • OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    My College Thesis wasn't this long....
  • bowmanjoebowmanjoe Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    I, too, was curious about the thread then get slammed with a book about saying goodbye which of course I didn't read. Why post? Everyone has memories of games they could write 30+ pages about but it comes down to control. They know, as well as you admittingly know, it doesn't really matter. You quit, you quit. You play, you play. If you wanna post something about trying to find people to play with, that's cool, but no need to right a book about quitting a game. Nothing personal but it sounds like you have some issues going on that need priority over a game.

I would like to let you know this: my intentions were not to actually say goodbye to a game that many people no little about on a forum that does not particularly appreciate this game or know what it is.  

My intention was to create something that is difficult but beautiful and challenging.  If i fell short of this goal I am deeply affected by your disappointment and I URGE you to point out specifically where I went wrong and provide reasoning.  

Thank you so much for your time.

Originally posted by OldMMOGamer
    My College Thesis wasn't this long....

haha!  That's hilarious.

Was this an MA thesis or a BA?  What subject did you study?  I am curious.

My BA college thesis was 25 pages and I had to whittle it down to 22 pages painstakingly and I STILL got marked down from an A to a B+ for disrespecting the instructions and going well over the maximum length requirement.  What can I say, I am overflowing.  I have prepared for over 10 years in literature and gaming so when I start writing in those kind of terms I tend to just overflow upon recapitulation of all of that information that I was exposed to.

I hope I can convince you all that this letter is not a ramble and is in fact and high deliberate work of creative writing and personal essay.

Thanks for the bump.  Keep this shit bumped I want the whole world to KNOW how great Asheron's Call was, is, and always will be.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Robokapp

I read the first paragraphs...I read the last paragraphs and concluded somewhere along the long post you descended into a demented rant out of your stream of consciousnes.

I was curious. Where could the breaking point where you finally snapped be?

Unfortunately i was unable to find it without reading the whole thing.

That's why i said nothing. But now that you insisted...

im not sure if i replied to you yet.  But i am interested in your perspective that I was writing in stream of consciousness.  I would really appreciate if you could point out where the tense changed or whatever you consider a mark of a switch to stream of consciousness.

Thanks for the feedback btw.  

I kinda wish you'd ask more questions and shoot me down a bit less.  If my article fell short in some way please try to be specific so i can edit them out.   I would appreciate that!

your article did not fall short in any way...:)

thank you so much for the reassurance.  i hope more people like you can empathize with the fact that i have put my heart out on display on one of (if not the) most harsh environments, which is the internet and particularly gaming forums.

Originally posted by Banquetto
    I also only read the first few and last few paragraphs, and am also curious to know at what point in the middle you went completely insane?

please provide a quote that you are confused about and I will eventually reply back to you with some context as to what choices I made.

by "insane" i think you mean "intense?" maybe "passionate" maybe "carried away" maybe "excited?"

was it the denzel joke?  i laughed so hard when i wrote that I almost cried.  I have  strange sense of humor though, and I hope it didnt alienate you.  If I alienated you with my obscure sense of absurd humor than I am sorry about that BUT I highly recommend you watch Monty Python and get a hold on the absurd genre of comedy.  Absurdity is certainly the best medicine for our interesting plight as human beings.

Originally posted by Kyleran

A couple of things:

1) First, many of us use cell phones to read MMORPG.com, and they aren't set up for a post like yours, hence it's common to skip the overly large ones, especially when the OP graciously provides fair warning.

2) It is also common for someone with an overly long post to include either at the top or bottom a TLDR version, summarizing the key points you are trying to make, and it usually should be relevant to the title.

3) Titles should be accurate.  I thought you wanted to know how other people felt about leaving a game, but I see in glancing through that really wasn't your intent at all, rather you posted a long goodbye your guildmates chocked full of helpful advise to them.

4)  Probably should be moved over to the AC forums, since it's really about activities in that game, but likely the moderators here haven't realized yet what the post is really about, they didn't read it either.

5) What was your purpose sharing this here?  You don't state either at front nor back why, not even that you were looking for feedback until subsequent posts. 

6)  If people don't respond, no need to be self-deprecating, people will be more than happy to tear you down, and yes, you are correct, not a good idea to spill your guts on the Internet, most people don't care, and if they take notice, it will be to mock you more often than not.

One final comment on actual contents of your post.  Black and red for guild colors.  No need for all that deep rationalization, most everyone who wants to look like a bad-ass chooses black and red because it looks "cool", no other justification necessary.

lol one of many reasons cell phones are destroying our attention spans.  ill respond to the rest of your points in detail just remind me and ill come back to this.

Originally posted by Zarkin86

Dear Opener,

i think you have bigger underlying problems. mmos are just fillling the void you have. you really have to address this by being very honest to you. 2 years in front of a pc being addicted. you have no idea how much you hurt your back spine and muscles and how much vitamin d you are lacking. 

start doing strenght training and go outside. its crucial. and stop being so weak minded that something like a mmo can make you addicted. nothing on earth makes me addicted. i am a streght athlete, mind sport athlete and videogame and anime nerd. you can be yourself but stop being so weak in every aspect. 

why im writing this? cause i was similar. my void was unemployment and i described basicly myself. 

hmm.  unfortunately you have projected all your problems onto me!

during the time where i played AC I was able to complete 1 semester of grad school at a 3.85, i hiked and ran constantly and always enjoyed hitting the old punching bag.  I read a lot during that period.  I moved at one point.  I fell in love and got my heart broken.  I life outside of the game was quite beautiful and painful as well, of course, as life always is and should be.

But i am sincerely sorry about your vitamin d deficiency etc.

PS: I also completed my BA and began an MA AND started a new job (on top of the one i already had) during the time when i started playing Asheron's Call.  Hehe.  Asheron's Call is a stimulating game, you can only play for so long before you are exhausted.  There are mazes and puzzles and VERY VERY VERY complex twitch physics incorporated in the pvp.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Dear Opener,

during the time where i played AC I was able to complete 1 semester of grad school at a 3.85, i hiked and ran constantly and always enjoyed hitting the old punching bag.  I read a lot during that period.  I moved at one point.  I fell in love and got my heart broken.  I life outside of the game was quite beautiful and painful as well, of course, as life always is and should be.

PS: I also completed my BA and began an MA AND started a new job (on top of the one i already had) during the time when i started playing Asheron's Call.  Hehe.  Asheron's Call is a stimulating game, you can only play for so long before you are exhausted.  There are mazes and puzzles and VERY VERY VERY complex twitch physics incorporated in the pvp.

But you don't actually work do you, most of the rest of us have to, gives us a different perspective I think.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Sorry OP, I come here to get game information from other forum members on gaming. That being said, I didn't read but the first paragraph because my attention span sucks. If you could put your post in an audiobook format perhaps, I could listen to it when I do yard work. No matter what, I hope you get whatever answer you were looking for! /salute

hm what a sweet reply.  please email me at [email protected] and I will send you a recording immediately.  Its been a while since i read this letter so i might as well turn on the mic and read it again.  Maybe ill even add music and get and dramatic!  Voice inflection is needed, i think thats why so many people misunderstood this letter.

ALSO: I love audiobooks!  Listening to Infinite Jest right now and just finished Every Story Is a Ghost Story and Of of Course in the End You Become Yourself, and This is Water.

Im assuming you are an audiobooker if you have attention span issues.  i have intense attention span issues as well and audiobooks are a blessing.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Dear Opener,

But you don't actually work do you, most of the rest of us have to, gives us a different perspective I think.

i dont work?

i am employed by at least 4 school districts in my area...  i also consider my research work eventhough i dont get paid.

Ill be honest i grew up poor and did things like hunt a raise pigs for fun.  Of course i also played video games and read.  I was lucky to have parents who encouraged gaming and reading.  But we struggled very hard and I dont appreciate your assumption that i dont have to work.  Although, nobody has to work.  You can become an ascetic and become very frugal if you wish.

I remember my dad waking me, my brother, and my sister in the middle of the night on a school night (as late as say midnight).  We were building our own house and could not afford much so we had to do a lot of the work ourselves, as children.  He would pull up in the driveway with a truck full of bricks at midnight and we would have to wake up and unload them and cover them with a tarp before we could go back to sleep.  It was hard, but it was good.  Now i look back on that time as very beautiful but at the same time there is a certain resonant pang of self pity that comes with childhood difficulty.

You are somewhat correct that I dont HAVE to work.  I now live on the very land that we cultivated into a nice estate as a child.  My great grandfather passed away a couple years ago and he left a small but generous nest egg for us.  I dont have to work but i work very hard every day despite that fact.  I may not have a 9 - 5 job (although I do if i want, i am a substitute teacher so i work when i want the cash) but every day i am working to better myself and the people that i care about.  Whether that be by going for a walk while listening to lectures or audiobooks, or reading, or studying for my upcoming CSET test. look.....

im going to stop going on and on about my life, im sorry i just dont have time to defend the way i live.  Im sorry.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Most obviously did not read it because it was NOT a long rant.It was more or less a long story of what he found fun and great about both the game of AC and it's community,with an illegal touch on selling accounts (

I played AC ,i did not find it that good.I find as this player did ,too many gamer's are simply finding satisfaction in a level number and attaining loot.There needs to be more to a ROLE PLAYING game than just a level and loot.

a level number actually has nothing to do with role playing,it is simply a cheesy mechanic for advancement.Loot should be rare unless say farming skins from some bear.

I never did any kind of raiding in AC,i just stuck to myself,however ,if it is another WOWesque type game where your only fun is doing a Boss,then it has failed as a game.It does sound like the OP had a lot of fun playing with other players,which is a very good thing,however it sounds more like he was interested in the power leveling that it offered than the actual community and friendship.

I really got the impression that the OP is not a true gamer but more a power leveler,more interested in multiple maxxed out toons that what a game can offer for FUN and community and real;ism to the aspect of ROLE playing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Most obviously did not read it because it was NOT a long rant.It was more or less a long story of what he found fun and great about both the game of AC and it's community,with an illegal touch on selling accounts (

I played AC ,i did not find it that good.I find as this player did ,too many gamer's are simply finding satisfaction in a level number and attaining loot.There needs to be more to a ROLE PLAYING game than just a level and loot.

a level number actually has nothing to do with role playing,it is simply a cheesy mechanic for advancement.Loot should be rare unless say farming skins from some bear.

I never did any kind of raiding in AC,i just stuck to myself,however ,if it is another WOWesque type game where your only fun is doing a Boss,then it has failed as a game.It does sound like the OP had a lot of fun playing with other players,which is a very good thing,however it sounds more like he was interested in the power leveling that it offered than the actual community and friendship.

I really got the impression that the OP is not a true gamer but more a power leveler,more interested in multiple maxxed out toons that what a game can offer for FUN and community and real;ism to the aspect of ROLE playing.

the best, most valuable players in AC are the ones who stick to themselves.  When I played I was able to shape my guild by hanging around in places that these hermits frequented and chatting with them.  Sometimes it would just mean hanging around in an off town like Yanshi and waiting for some noob to roll by.  I would then kill him and start chatting with him: "how long u been playing?" etc.  And boom i would get them to join my guild.

The people who say the least and do the most in AC are the ones I value most.  Im glad you played.  I hope that in anyone on these forums has played AC that they use this thread to share their experience.  Im here to listen and relate with you.  There are very few other threads on this forum that deal with this gem of a game, lets make this thread last.  I want to get to know this community.  

Im new to these forums (except for one or two other threads) and I dont understand the culture of this forum because i come from postcount but I think there is a lot of potential in this forum and i want to get a sense of the community.

Wiz, thank you for sharing your experience.  

Dear Opener,

Have i responded to you yet Zarkin86?

If you would like to correspond feel free to email my anytime.

My best,

Bowmanjoe

[email protected]

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

Why is this posted on reddit as well? You are posting this as if you are saying something important that we all need to read. Why don't you STFU and go look in a mirror at yourself instead of bombarding us with a wall of text? I've played several games for many years in a row and never did anything this ridiculous.

I wouldn't have said anything at first, but after seeing that you had to link it on reddit too... come on...

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Quit a game I played for 10 years. Said only 3 words. Try that next time?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    JUMP!!!!!!...............PLEASE
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    OP: my advice would be next time when you write such a lenghty post to make it a blog instead of a forum post.
  • BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

A blog would've been well suited, for sure.  A youtube video/vlog would've also worked.

As it is, and without having read the entire thing, one can tell a few things: 

1) you played the game for a long time

2) a relationship that runs that long (as you played the game) hurts when it ends

3) you may not have wanted to quit, but couldn't keep playing with the game in the current state

4) over the years, you probably made a lot of other posts mentioning the issues and requesting 'change'/changes

5) your requests went seemingly unanswered

6) your frustration brought you to the point of no return... you quit, but not without the multi-page vent of fury and final cry of desperation. 

7) you probably didn't get a response from anyone saying 'okay, this guy means business, let's change the game for him'

8) you didn't get any responses from other forum posters for a while either (nobody really knew how to approach that 'wall')

I'm sorry you are leaving the game.  I wish you the best in your next game and/or IRL. 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    I played obsessively for most of that time, rushing home after work to check my macros, nearly crashing my car while typing in WhatsApp about our plans for the evening

please look for help , u have bigger issues , than quiting the game u played for 2 years (is not that long anyway )

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Skuall
    I played obsessively for most of that time, rushing home after work to check my macros, nearly crashing my car while typing in WhatsApp about our plans for the evening

please look for help , u have bigger issues , than quiting the game u played for 2 years (is not that long anyway )

I agree 100%. Something is not right with this guy. Hes the main person responding to the post, and hes linked his post to several places around the net. I would suggest he gets some counselling. Two years is not that long to play an MMO and to stop playing a game should not be such an earth shattering experience.

The op should not feel the need to post their rant and share the link everywhere they can think too. Thankfully its been downvoted to oblivion on Reddit.