Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyforge: The Daily Quest - Will You Play Skyforge?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Closed Beta 2 is well under way, and by now you've watched videos, seen our streams, or played the game yourself. Having quite a lot in common with Neverwinter (at least in my book), I wonder how many of our dear readers will be playing Obsidian and Allods Team's MMORPG when it goes live later this year.

Personally, as I said while streaming last night, I look at Skyforge as an ideal "quick bite MMO". It's got solid enough combat and class progression to keep me interested in the short term, even if I don't think I'll be playing it for months on end as my only game. There's nothing wrong with an MMO that's meant to capture players for a few weeks at a time, especially when they're designed as F2P from the start.

As long as the Cash Shop isn't too intrusive (as it was in Neverwinter), I expect I'll play Skyforge a good bit when it launches, even if just for an hour here or there.  It's definitely not perfect, but it's fun in short spurts, and there are some really nice ideas present as well.

But what about you? Will you be playing Skyforge? That's today's Daily Quest... get cracking.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

if is p2w = not play

if is good F2P without p2w items in cash shop = I play that game.

That simple like that.

l2p

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

I pay a $15/month subscription for the game I am currently playing.

I will not play a P2W game. You will never get even $.01 from me.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    No thanks.

Joined - July 2004

• EngelsblutsEngelsbluts Member UncommonPosts: 5

No, thanks.

Mail.ru = P2W

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

So far its been fun but last night my wife and I played Naori Island (just added to Closed Beta 2) and talk about taking it to another level. Few bosses each getting harder and by the end it felt like a raid, not on hard mode but challenging enough that its in my top MMO moments for low level play. Only 1000 prestige and thats kinda like level 10 in most MMOs. Made me want more lol that alone was worth the 20 bucks to get in beta lol 

Conclusion: Depending on how bad the cash shop is of corse but my wife and I are having enough fun we plan on sticking around for a while. 

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    Not a chance. You mention neverwinter I personally think that neverwinter is the greatest abomination of a mmo game in recent years and I would rather play that than Skyforge.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I am having fun but I also would like to see what shows up on the cash shop. So far I haven't seen anything that I would regard as pay to win. Some people are upset with their being progression limits that can be passed by paying, but being further progressed is not a winning condition so I don't see that as pay to win. If the game forces me to pay in order to progress at all then I will drop it in a heartbeat. But right now all I see is the option to pay in order to progress faster, and I am fine with that. I am not seeing any aspect of progression that is locked behind a paywall.

All die, so die well.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

After having been misinformed of the games features and combat, lied to about their cash shop monetisation, and weekly currency caps (which limit progression) that can only be bypassed by spending RL money, I refuse to play Skyforge.

Allods team ... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    After Allods I wont trust these guys. I just cant do any game with a game affecting item mall ever again. I loved Atlantica Online and had hopes for AA, but my wallet cant afford these games with my personality. Hearth Stone at this time is the only game I will play that you can buy items for the game, but I was a big time MTG player so buying cards is just part of the game.

Something Awful this way comes.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I won't play it. I saw enough gameplay to know that I don't like the combat, and the skill tree was EXTREMELY misrepresented before the beta. I thought you can actually do something akin to Path of Exile customisation... but NOOOO.

I didn't research the cash shop, but people around here are pissed at something.. no smoke without some fire.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    No..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    I am sure I'll play it at what ever they want to call launch when it's open to play for free, has the cash shop in place and no more wipes but I won't be spending any money in the game until I see how the cash shop systems work out.  Right now the way some other threads have explained the systems it reminds me of WOT's Elite XP to General XP conversion where progression beyond a certain point is locked behind the cash shop.   That pretty much killed WOT for me anymore than playing once in awhile and I have not spent a dime in that game since I hit that wall.  It's funny because I was a regular spender of about $15-$20 a month in the cash shop before that but that one system pretty much killed the game for me when I realized how much it was going to cost me to keep advancing driving the tanks I liked to fight in.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Themepark ? /check
    Pay to win ? /check
    Mail.ru ? /check

no thanks

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I don't trust the developers.

They earned no points when censoring the concerns over the cash shop by threatening bans, either.

It isn't worth the headache to deal with these clowns.

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354

After checking the closed beta today, I can definitely say NO.

Graphics are OK, but the animations really look.... dated.

Far too instanced.

Completely boring from the get-go and limited in what I can do.

Bottom line: MMO on rails with heavy p2w and animations that look like from 2003? No thanks.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

After playing the game for a good 30 minutes, it seems really really mediocre. The graphics looks like shit, the boob physics is so stupid I can't even talk to female NPC without thinking of her ridiculous it really is.

The game doesn't seem very polish (OFC it is closed beta, but isn't it already released in Russia?). The combat feel clunky especially the double tab to "dodge".

after today, I might try the game wtih sweetfx and see how it plays, but I doubt it will change my mind.

• zakraidarbgzakraidarbg Member UncommonPosts: 28
    what a whiny kids ...  the devs give you a sci fy   game with   a shit ton of  pve  a shit ton of pvp   with good  graphics  with 15 clases   and all of it  free to play  and  you all cry about  something that you dont even know  the payment system is  just lke the  gems in gw 2  so   just silince your selfs and   dont troll...
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by zakraidarbg
    what a whiny kids ...  the devs give you a sci fy   game with   a shit ton of  pve  a shit ton of pvp   with good  graphics  with 15 clases   and all of it  free to play  and  you all cry about  something that you dont even know  the payment system is  just lke the  gems in gw 2  so   just silince your selfs and   dont troll...

Actually, there are only 13 classes.

There is heavy instancing.

The graphics, animations, and combat are all dated and lack innovation.

You don't even need to bring up the cash shop to give this game a pass.

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Tab targeting doesn't do it for me, so no.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by silvermember

After playing the game for a good 30 minutes, it seems really really mediocre. The graphics looks like shit, the boob physics is so stupid I can't even talk to female NPC without thinking of her ridiculous it really is.

The game doesn't seem very polish (OFC it is closed beta, but isn't it already released in Russia?). The combat feel clunky especially the double tab to "dodge".

after today, I might try the game wtih sweetfx and see how it plays, but I doubt it will change my mind.

My wife and I crack up every time we talk to a female NPC. They really need to try a different setting on that. It does not even look like boobs any more. As for playing for 30 min and calling it medicore. You really need to take a few people into missions because they scale from the get go. Also 30 min in is like getting level  3-4 in most games. You have no clue what the game is like. Get to Naori Island and then judge, its just a few hours game play to get there and it was down right fun =-) Im starting to see something in this game and if more zones are like Naori Island, Im gona be a happy gamer. 

• zakraidarbgzakraidarbg Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by zakraidarbg

Actually, there are only 13 classes.

There is heavy instancing.

The graphics, animations, and combat are all dated and lack innovation.

You don't even need to bring up the cash shop to give this game a pass.

15 clases  at launch   CONFIRMED     heavy instancing   is in closed beta cause   more than half the game is locked   it have   12  open world zones    ,  not to mention you havent even seen the cash shot to speak for it    and aperantly you played on  minimal graphics  if you  say that the animations  are   bad  ,  i wont even speak for the lack of inovation  cause you know  god form   pantheon wars   clans withing the guilds ( pantheons)   , sci fi  fantasy ,  no leveling system ,  ascention atlas , absolutely free  item costumisation ,  invasions,  fallowers, having your own statue , divison system for the  best players , being able to swich between clases any time you want , voice over for evry quset  ( i know the current one is bad but  its gonna change i ashure you in that) , the game will have 1 mega server per region  

just see the video below and speak again :) 

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Probably not, allods was ruined and it doesn't look like this is going to do any better.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Will definantly be playing, graphics are great, animations are beautiful, tons of skills, fun combat. Can't wait until it officially releases!

Mystery Bounty

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I find it ironic here in these forums that so many will not support a F2P game because they claim that it will be a P2W disaster even before ever discovering what the billing model actually is because they haven't released it yet, but these same jokers will defend to the death the Pay to Progress models cleverly disguised behind a gem to gold conversion system that GW2 has become. smh Hypocrite much?Oh and to the poster of this article THANK YOU for mentioning how the Store has directly affected NWO. That's journalism integrity right there!

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    If you haven't actually played the game you have no right to hate on it, why would you want to get other people on your side when you really don't have your own judgement just things you read/saw from other people. Play....this....game.

Mystery Bounty