Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Will we have a disc we can purchase.

SpankthetoadSpankthetoad Member UncommonPosts: 83
As most of you know Windows 10 will be free for 1 year and then there will be a subscription after that time.  As of now I cannot fine any info on what the cost would be on that.  I was wondering if this means that you cannot buy a hard copy {disk} and not have a monthly subscription.  If anyone has any info on that I would love to share it with others here.  Already paying a sub to play a online game I would not want to add on to that for running windows 10 also.

Spankthetoad

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    I dont think they have even reached the  point where they are planing that. Heck, it probably wont be until after launch.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The sub would probably be better for the consumer in the long run. It would probably be priced around $50 a year with free unlimited support and a simple upgrade path. When you miss a payment a stripped down limited access version takes over. It would also allow the OS to be portable. I like the idea of a virtual OS, where I login on any computer and it loads up my desktop and settings in a virtual space on the machine with access to OneDrive for documents.

For Microsoft it would help in 2 ways. First they would no longer need to sell the box. I always considered the box clunky for 2015. Personally I don't have an optical drive installed on my machine, and I would hate to run through 3 years of updates after a fresh install. I think it would be much easier to use the browser in my UEFI bios to reinstall an OS. Second it would be easier to compete with Linux and Data-mining OSes like Android that are offered free.

Even though I say this, I am sure Microsoft will still offer Windows 10 with a box. After all they still offer 32-bit versions of Windows 10. It would probably be aimed at businesses who want to pay full price on a license that they can more efficiently distribute out.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Spankthetoad
    As most of you know Windows 10 will be free for 1 year and then there will be a subscription after that time. 

There's no subscription, there's no plans to add a subscription to Windows, MS nowhere mentions a subscription. Whoever told you that is wrong.

The only thing that is going to happen is.

-If you buy windows 10 within the first year of launch, and you either have windows 7 o 8, it's a free upgrade.

-If you wait a year to buy windows 10 after launch, you have to pay for the upgrade.

That's it, none of this has anything to do with a subscription.