Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major Press Conference going to happen by Tomorrow Thursday 18th

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Within the next couple days there is some major news coming out on FFXI,so many speculations from really good to really bad.

This will likely be a JPN presser so may take a day or two to see it translated.

There has been so many things Square has done that leaves me not having a clue what this presser is about.

I notice they ended a couple languages and servers are a bit too low,so neither of those look promising.

Some speculate server merges and perhaps Free to play.I knwo they said in the past no way to f2p and figuring how much added server space they would need as well as players making tons of free accounts ,i don't see it going f2p.

Two years ago they began working on ideas to bring the game to other platforms however populace tends to have me thinking not likely anymore.

A possible expansion,that is a very good possibility.

Imo they have done too much and even of late to just toss it all away so i do not see  a closure announcement,i think it will be a combination of things.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

They are having the mega press conference right now. Here are some highlights :

- One last expansion to tie in all the characters in one "Grand Finale Scenario". But SE said they were not ending service. The game will just be put into maintenance mode.

- Ending PS2 and Xbox 360 support for FFXI in march 2016.

- Making a new Mobile game based on the FFXI universe called "Final Fantasy: Grand masters". April 2015 beta.

http://i.imgur.com/1I57eMH.png

Those were the major highlights of the press conference.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

SE just posted the info in English. So it looks like the game will be supported till Nov. 2015.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vanaproj/vanaproj.html

As for the new moblie game it looks like SE will parter up with NExon to produce the game.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/19/final-fantasy-xi-getting-smartphone-version-courtesy-nexon/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i got a tad bit more info.

First i think the xbox idea was a bad one but anyhow they need to cut some wasted costs.

They said they will continue past March of 2016 and will have special events to commemorate the game.

I think because Square is usually straight forward with their agenda and content,they are waiting to see the numbers at end of 2016 before announcing any more than they already have.None the less with events happening from March 2016 forward,it is going strong at least until MAY i would figure and if numbers hold decent they will continue with an expansion i am sure.

There could even be a strong move to F2p by May of 2016,who knows,i guess the numbers will decide.personally i don't think f2p would ever work for ffxi,there would be too many multi boxing and free accounts created,no way they would go for that.So let's just hope the game continues into 2017.

On their MMORPG for mobile,they claim 120% more interesting than FFXI,i find that hard to believe.Nexon "Maplestory" is helping them to make the game for mobile.Stuff liek that is big in JPN but to think they would commit that much effort into mobile instead of trying to improve FFXI into HD and   new physics and water zones,tells me they really on't understand the market outside of JPN.

Tanaka of FFXI fame is also with another developer building his final game,also a mobile game,so seems the market in JPN is all mobile,personally i would not play any mobile game no matter how good it is,even an unreal Engine based mobile game.

Overall i don't think the presser was as good or bad as most of us think.I seriously don't get the connection with FFXI making a presser that really was all about MOBILE aside from an app is coming also.They have separate game divisions for PC and mobile gaming so to tab it onto a FFXI title is sort of lame.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    I would rather see the game die with dignity than go Free to play ... 
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Calintz333
    I would rather see the game die with dignity than go Free to play ... 

I agree for the most part but I think  it all depends on how it's done. There are decent F2P systems out there (well, hybrid systems anyway) but yeah, I've always been more in favor of the straight P2P system myself. Times are changing though, so what can you do.

In any case, I don't really see it happening with FFXI, especially since they're planning to cut content development after November. It seems like they're putting most of their eggs in the mobile basket (which I personally thing is a mistake, but meh) so I imagine most of their resources are going to that. It's a shame; there's really nothing else out there like XI. This is one of the few mmorpgs that I'm genuinely sad to see heading towards the pasture.