Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Triad Wars - Doomed by a Limited Set of Mechanics...or Not?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recently I have been taking a look at Triad Wars, a new “asynchronous MMO” from Square Enix. I won’t get into every aspect of the game and how it is in no way a “real” MMO – I’ll let William Murphy cover that in his video – but I would like to use Triad Wars as an example to ask:

Can a multiplayer game survive on such a limited set of mechanics?

Read more of Beau Hindman's A Casual, Cornered - Triad Wars - Doomed by a Limited Set of Mechanics...or Not?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    There's a part of me that wonders if they're already planning on making this F2P on Xbox and PS4, where it would likely do INSANELY well. But using the PC version as a test-bed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I tried the beta yesterday with an xbox one controller and the game is fully compatible with the joypad including the ui, my thoughts are the same that it will appear on console.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

the game looked amazing on screenshots but ...is like a facebook game with some GTA with horrible gameplay added just because....

• nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

for a guy who don't have enough free time for grind or create social rings in-game like me

it's really fun ^^

the gameplay is not always very easy to use (something about mouse movement and cameras) but I still keep in mind it's a closed beta stage so... :P

For all fantasy haters, try it ^^
  • DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138

In reference to APB reloaded, the game had indeed some super interesting features, however the PvP was frustrating beyond measures, i recited the bible in form of swears so many times people around me had to tell me to stop: Cops triggering you while you bring yer stolen goods and just shoot a rocket at you while he's aligned next to you, cops having a better spawning position advantage, everything is PvP related and not everyone is a fair fight, this game, despite all it's cool features, made it to my blacklist over time.

Triad Wars doesn't offer an extremely substantial long term playing substance right now, almost every enforcer looks alike due to clothes being the last thing you want to buy in term of power priorities, and aside from raising yer base all you can do is ransack other players from their hard earned efforts, all while in a solo type game that claim itself to be an MMO, which isn't. I like the PvE aspect of it, but it could have done just as well from having AI opponents, instead of just messing other players up, and the better part of an AI is that we would see more diversity in term of opponents weaponry, right now everyone is stuck with pistols and -sometimes- meat cleavers, and nobody would get harmed from playing yer fake MMO game. It is indeed a mobile game made for PC with little to give in term of things to do.