Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

failing to get back into a MMORPG

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I wondered whether for other people it might be at times the same.

Say, there is a MMORPG you haven't played for a very long time, and then you decide to give it another chance. You log into your last character, and you have at first no real idea what is where. Like, a dozen patches have changed abilities. You might have to reset some skills or talents, some are missing, some have been changed. Your inbox is full of all kinds of stuff: guild invitations, promotional event related stuff and whatnot. In one game I even ended up standing in a zone, for which all quests were taken out of the game. I stood there confused not knowing where to continue. Then you look into your inventory and the bank, and a good portions of the items are not used anymore, because the crafting system has been changed. 

And that is the moment when I often think "oh screw it, I don't want to spend a couple of hours just trying to clean up that mess", and I play something else.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by maji

I wondered whether for other people it might be at times the same.

Say, there is a MMORPG you haven't played for a very long time, and then you decide to give it another chance. You log into your last character, and you have at first no real idea what is where. Like, a dozen patches have changed abilities. You might have to reset some skills or talents, some are missing, some have been changed. Your inbox is full of all kinds of stuff: guild invitations, promotional event related stuff and whatnot. In one game I even ended up standing in a zone, for which all quests were taken out of the game. I stood there confused not knowing where to continue. Then you look into your inventory and the bank, and a good portions of the items are not used anymore, because the crafting system has been changed. 

And that is the moment when I often think "oh screw it, I don't want to spend a couple of hours just trying to clean up that mess", and I play something else.

I actually feel very similarly, but react very differently, when I log into an MMO for the first time in years.

Usually, I don't even bother attempting to pick up a maxed lvl character (or at least maxed when I left) and try to remember how to play it.  Rotations, situations, etc.  Often times even if I have a pretty good grasp on how I used to play it, things have changed.

I go right for the character creator, myself.

I start anew, at least in the beginning to get my feet wet.  I'll usually end up back on my old character, but it usually turns into an alt to me.

Just last week I fired up WoW for the first time in I don't know how long (my old character was lvl 70, so whenever that would've been).  I didn't even log into that guy.  I just made a new one and started going.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.