Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isnt there more hype about Camelot Unchained?

Comments

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

/agree

I love MOBA's.... And I LOVE mmo combat. 

I loved Old AV in wow because it combined the two. Although I always hoped they would expand it and give players more war options. 

Instead they steam-lined it to be just like the other BG's. 

I can wait for an MMO where the WAR is what matters. WHere you have to gather lumber, build keeps, craft weapons, repair your towers, and fight like hell the whole time your doing it. 

If this game succeeds at even half of what it's trying to do. It'll be one of the best MMO PvP games ever made. 

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

constantly build forts/houses/weapons again while pvp'ing.  This sounds like Rust or Seven Days to Die.  

They are doing really well (sarcasm)...

DAOC was a good game, but it had alot of PVE in it.  PVP is a pasttime in an MMO, not the content.

I can't wait til devs learn this...they should have already, but I guess they are slow.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

constantly build forts/houses/weapons again while pvp'ing.  This sounds like Rust or Seven Days to Die.  

DAOC was a good game, but it had alot of PVE in it.  PVP is a pasttime in an MMO, not the content.

I can't wait til devs learn this...they should have already, but I guess they are slow.

Games such as GW 2, TESO, and of course DAOC are available for players who want an MMO where RvR is a "pasttime". This game is for those want RvR as their content.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

that's true for most players I think. To some of us though PvE and leveling is just the anyoing grind before we get to go out and beat up people. 

I leveled from 1-10 in ESO them WvWed to 30, before having to go back to PvE to speed level because i couldn't compete aginst the Vet ranked players anymore. Before going back to WvW. 

To us PvE is what you do when your waiting for your guildes to log on. 

This game isn't trying to capture the PvE crowd. It's a game FOR PvP, ABOUT PvP and where PvP isn't tacked on to the side of the PvE game. PvP is the ONLY game.....

Ya know like dota or LoL. Games that arn't doing very well (sarcasm)

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

The entire point of the project is to do something very risky that has never been done before.

What is the point of creating yet another pve game with light pvp - there are already like 10 of them to choose from, and it doesn't require a kickstarter.

There hasn't been much hype lately since their focus has been on infrastructure like creating the game engine and hiring staff.

There is no flashy combat or pretty screenshots to show off - it will come later.

As for ToA and Warhammer, MJ seems to understand where those games went wrong which is why he wants to do something so radically different.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Im actually looking forward to this but I am trying to contain my hype levels. There really isn't much of the actual game we have seen some test footage and a little gameplay during there bsc week. But most of what we know is just talk and well I think in general players are getting tired of developers talking a good game and providing something completely different.

Think it may turn out to be a gem but its gimping itself because its purely PVP and that's not for everyone.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Because I'm not interested in playing another World of Europe mmorpg

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Alpha testers were able to see the engine in action yesterday, as an IT tester, we've seen this awhile. Today is a new day, and new updates  :) Glad i backed the IT tier, i get to see new stuff and progress daily. Alpha testers get it as well now, at least every few days or weeks it seems. 

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I'm keeping hype in check as I feel that DAOC was not as good as I remember it. Now that MMOs are much more populated than before I am also nervous that the old RvR feeling won't come back and it will just another zerg fest.
    Originally posted by itssantos
    I'm keeping hype in check as I feel that DAOC was not as good as I remember it. Now that MMOs are much more populated than before I am also nervous that the old RvR feeling won't come back and it will just another zerg fest.

Zergs are a problem because games are afraid of adding "CC"   CU will have CC 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Very little actual representative gameplay out there to view, that is all really.

When they do release that kind of stuff it will obviously need to impress as well.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Because I'm not interested in playing another World of Europe mmorpg

The game (in very early development btw) doesn't have massive hype yet among ALL the gamers in NA and Europe because ... you have no interest in a game based upon western European lore?

The "MMORPG's Narcissistic Personality Disorder Award" goes to:

/drumroll

MAQUIAME !!!

/APPLAUSE

You stay sassy!

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286

I would rather see a less hyped game with a smooth start and good mechanics which grows steadily instead of a release with queues and most people leaving after some months.

Games dont need Hype before release, they need hype shortly after release, so that it can grow steadily and all those small little bugs can be fixed before the majority of players start the game. (I know you should fix those bugs during development but imo it's pretty common that many bugs get found after release because of some reasons (exploiters dont report them because they want to use them after release, bugs that only occur when masses of players do something, bugs that only occure because of something only newbies would do))

Im really excited for CU, but Ill wont hype it and wont hype myself. They should start with a small playerbase and no pressure and should rather grow like EvE instead of the hype-fail-way Archeage went.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Why isn't there more hype ?

-many of us have been disappointed with what many though was going to be THE ONE....ESO ava  .Matt Firror was going to bring DAOC to the ELDER SCROLLS world....and it hasn't happened.In fact AvA has been blatantly ignored in ESO.(DAOC has had more  new pvp features that ESO )

-many of us have seen some of the past design decisions of Mark Jacobs and the catastrophic  consequences of those decisions.

On the other hand....I'm all for redemption.What Jacobs says will be in the game sounds great. "seeing is believing". Lets see his ideas in action. If he is able to execute his ideas and stay true to his words....this game will sell itself.This is the information age.The word will be  out.

TODAY...I'm playing DAOC......again.

I'm pretty sure there is plenty of hype.....

The game isn't getting much news time because there isn't much news. but honestly i think the following for this game is pretty big for this early in development. Sure it's no EQ:N, or SC, but it's not trying to be. 

It's a niche game, for a niche genera. That's not saying it wont have sell 300k boxes at launch, because pretty much everything with MMO slapped on the end does now-a-days. However, That's much more destructive for games than it is helpful. Look at Wildstar, or AA, and Eso to a lesser degree. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    For me DAoC PvE was just as enchanting as the RvR. This just seems like a Battleground with crafting. IMO just not enough to fill my MMOing needs. If it was B2P I would come play it just for the PvP fix =-) Wth everything needing a sub now days you need to be selective. Heck even Microsoft office wants 10 bucks a month lol. So in short, if I am going to sub to a MMO, it better fill my PvP and PvE needs. 
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Speaking personally, Camelot Unchained is just a MOBA (in the true sense, not just a lane-pusher), so it raises no interest whatsoever.

That's also a big reason. Most people don't want a game with JUST PvP, or those that do want it to be full loot. 

CU isn't the game for either faction.  It's a VERY niche game. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Be happy that there isn't much hype.  If there was, folks on this site and elsewhere will be tearing it apart because it's not exactly what they want.

On the other side of the coin, folks have learned time and time again that what's promised on paper and what the finished product ends up being will be miles apart in scope and often concept.

We're already starting to see this with Star Citizen.  The game that people originally saw as "you can go anywhere, do anything" is just now starting to flesh out as a game with limitations, reasonable or not.

• EstrangeEstrange Member Posts: 29

The Hype isn't there because Mark isn't an attention whore, full of silly stretch goals and over the top promises.  

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by funcon

Game has RvR, crafting and housing. It features a 100% RvR-based leveling track for all combat (non crafter) classes. All leveling comes from engaging in RvR whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

So far, we have committed to 12 races and classes at launch plus a unique pure “crafter-only” class and that number can go up, not down, over the next two years.

12 races and classes. Now thats a lot of variety for a new mmo at launch.

Is the game Live yet then?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78

PVE Groups against Computer Enemies everyone can win Computer looses

RVR Somone needs to loose in Order for somone to Win it just isnt that satisfying over time.

Just RVR to lvl and improve your Character sounds kind of boring ...if thers no World to find stuff that helps your Character as well.

My Point of View

Sure i might even play it even not being much of a PVP Fan cause its about the only thing left out there in thoose whole

wide Mmorpg World for ppls to play since PVE content that is Rewarding doesnt exist anymore in this days and age of Gaming.

The Question is How long will i play it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Muke

Game has RvR, crafting and housing. It features a 100% RvR-based leveling track for all combat (non crafter) classes. All leveling comes from engaging in RvR whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

So far, we have committed to 12 races and classes at launch plus a unique pure “crafter-only” class and that number can go up, not down, over the next two years.

Its still well over a year away from release, assuming they manage to finish the game on time, personally i wouldn't be surprised if the game didn't release some time in 2017, but even if it does release as planned in June 2016, its far too soon to be hyping the game, as for the details can change a lot in the next year or so due to  features being dropped due to impracticality, and new features added, even the gameplay itself can change between now and then, the game is still in development after all, so don't take too seriously anything that is claimed to be in the game until closer to release, wouldn't be the first game to drop or change features etc, during the last year or two of developmentimage

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Kabon

PVE Groups against Computer Enemies everyone can win Computer looses

RVR Somone needs to loose in Order for somone to Win it just isnt that satisfying over time.

Just RVR to lvl and improve your Character sounds kind of boring ...if thers no World to find stuff that helps your Character as well.

My Point of View

Sure i might even play it even not being much of a PVP Fan cause its about the only thing left out there in thoose whole

wide Mmorpg World for ppls to play since PVE content that is Rewarding doesnt exist anymore in this days and age of Gaming.

The Question is How long will i play it.

Should look at the EVE Universe, cant get any bigger then that.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Muke

Its still well over a year away from release, assuming they manage to finish the game on time, personally i wouldn't be surprised if the game didn't release some time in 2017, but even if it does release as planned in June 2016, its far too soon to be hyping the game, as for the details can change a lot in the next year or so due to  features being dropped due to impracticality, and new features added, even the gameplay itself can change between now and then, the game is still in development after all, so don't take too seriously anything that is claimed to be in the game until closer to release, wouldn't be the first game to drop or change features etc, during the last year or two of developmentimage

If it's too early to hype the game, why is Artcraft going all out and buying ads on mmorpg.com and massively OP websites for their kickstarter? It's not even finished kickstarter yet and they are hyping it. Poor choices by CSE or smart?