Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ships worth buying?

mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
I know this is more based on opinion, but when I was looking through potential ships to 'buy' I noticed that most of them were not available for purchase. Is there anything they're selling now that's actually worth while? Still sort of confused on how this whole thing works, but the game looks promising.

Comments

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113

Don't buy pixels for a game that doesn't even exist?! 

If you want to actually help them developing the game then just get one of the lower pledges. IIRC you can get beta access and all that fancy stuff for around 50$. You get some sort of starter ship too, but don't think these will be able to compete with some of the more expensive ones like the hornet.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I understand that most people will not want to spend a few hundred bucks on ships. Yet, from what i've seen - I think I would be one of those people that wouldn't mind it so much. I'm just confused as to why they're not purchasable in the first place. Just seems like an odd marketing strategy.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Don't get caught up in this terrible gimmick because you know the cash shop will never end having players spend 50+ every month,like 4+ subscriptions.Being a testing phase there is no way there should be anything more expensive than 15 bucks and even that is too costly because paying a subscription for a game that is not even 25% done is way out of hand.

I see this whole game snowballing way out of control because over time they will be finding new gimmicks to keep players buying new ships or likely new ship add-ons that is even easier to create.Well 70+ million on a game not nearly ready to be fully critiqued is already n snowball effect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

I recommend you start with a basic pledge package with Arena Commander access. That has a 45 $ price tag (it was as low as 25 $ during some events). 

You can then check out the game, test other ships for free  or using in game virtual currency REC. There are also literally thousands of Youtube videos from players about the various ships (in hangar and in combat).

When you have found a ship you like, you can then "melt" the basic package and upgrade to a pledge package with the ship of your choice.

Or you wait until the game launches and get your ship of choice for in game currency.

Have fun

PS:

The first thing you have to ask yourself is .... what do I want to do in Star Citizen ?

Do you want to be a fighter ?  --> solo seater fighter  (Mustang, Origin, Hornet etc. )

Do you wanted to be a pirate or bounty hunter ?   --> fighter with cargo hold (e.g. Cutlass)

Do you want to be an explorer ? --> various ships (from solo to multiplayer)

Do you want to be a stealthy scout ?  --> various stealth ship variants

Do you want to be a starship racer ?  --> M50, Mustang racer or Origin 300 racer

Do you want to be a trader ? --> various cargo ships of increasing size, with varying amounts of weaponry

Do you want to be a miner ? --> anything from a starter ship to a full scale refinery in space available

Do you want to be an boarding/assault pilot ?  --> Assault gunboat available

Do you want to fly around in VIP style ? --> Constellation Phoenix or 890 Jump

Do you want to pilot a capital ship together with your buddies ? --> Idris or Javelin

Do you want to pilot an allrounder ship ?  --> Aurora  (solo)  or Constellation (multiplayer) etc.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Erillion

I recommend you start with a basic pledge package with Arena Commander access. That has a 45 $ price tag (it was as low as 25 $ during some events). 

You can then check out the game, test other ships for free  or using in game virtual currency REC. There are also literally thousands of Youtube videos from players about the various ships (in hangar and in combat).

When you have found a ship you like, you can then "melt" the basic package and upgrade to a pledge package with the ship of your choice.

Or you wait until the game launches and get your ship of choice for in game currency.

Have fun

PS:

The first thing you have to ask yourself is .... what do I want to do in Star Citizen ?

Do you want to be a fighter ?  --> solo seater fighter  (Mustang, Origin, Hornet etc. )

Do you wanted to be a pirate or bounty hunter ?   --> fighter with cargo hold (e.g. Cutlass)

Do you want to be an explorer ? --> various ships (from solo to multiplayer)

Do you want to be a stealthy scout ?  --> various stealth ship variants

Do you want to be a starship racer ?  --> M50, Mustang racer or Origin 300 racer

Do you want to be a trader ? --> various cargo ships of increasing size, with varying amounts of weaponry

Do you want to be a miner ? --> anything from a starter ship to a full scale refinery in space available

Do you want to be an boarding/assault pilot ?  --> Assault gunboat available

Do you want to fly around in VIP style ? --> Constellation Phoenix or 890 Jump

Do you want to pilot a capital ship together with your buddies ? --> Idris or Javelin

Do you want to pilot an allrounder ship ?  --> Aurora  (solo)  or Constellation (multiplayer) etc.

Thanks for your reply. Guess i'll just get the starter package like you suggested and go from there. 

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

If you get a starter pledge package in the near future ... please let me know if new backers also get some virtual currency  (5000 REC for Arena Commander)  or if only the existing backers got those 5000 when AC Version 1.1 went live last week. You can always get more REC by playtesting.

Have fun

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    It's super easy to get REC in game so while you may only "own" an entry level ship. You can "rent" and be on the level of the OP ships in one days time without spending any real life $$ besides the start package and pass.