Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun game but i hate the UI.

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
It would seem it was made like this with the console player's in mind. I'm so sick of the trend with new mmo's and their so called easier to use hotbars. I find it so annoying having only 5 slots and one for potions. I could be ok with just 8 of them. Be i miss having all my skills that i've earned from leveling on my UI. The dev's claim it was confusing for many players that way. And some say it makes you have to think what to slot to use for an encounter. I find that a sorry claim. You still have to do this with a full use UI. I'M not an expert but i heard it was made like this because a console player's controller can't handle a full use UI. If true why not have separate UI for PC and Console. Heck they wont be playing on the same server anyways from what i hear.

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    You get to swap weapons at level 15. I think you will have to handle the UI if you wish to play the game. It's already been decided and designed that way and I do not think they will be changing it. So if the game interest you try to find a way to handle the UI restriction. I use some add ons like Greymind for the quickslot which the default UI is horrendous at. Hope you enjoy the game like I do too in time.
    Chamber of Chains
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I actually like it.

One of the nice things about later ES games is that you can mod them. ESO also allows for mods so you can build the UI experience you like.

Win-win in my book.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Wait..are their mods out their that will give me more than 5 slots?
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

For people who are unfamiliar with TES games, that's the way the UI worked (more or less) since at least Morrowind, a game that was designed for PC

Like with many things, the fact that you don't like a thing doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It is designed for maximum immersion, not for peopel who need 30 bars on screen to know when they have to interrupt

And no, you never get more than 5 skill. Maybe not the game for you?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Hariken

No. The guy above you is talking about the UI in general, not the 5 slots. And it's not 5 - it's 12 when you get to level 15 and weapon swap and including both ultimates.

But there are add-ons that let you make and save multiple sets of 12 abilities that you can easily swap in and out of as long as you're out of combat, depending on the situation... e.g. a set for group dungeons, a set for solo questing, a set for PVP or multiple sets for each of those depending on what you're doing.

But during a fight, it will always be 10 abilities, 2 ultimates and the potion wheel.

EDIT: this is the better of the ability bar sets add-on called SWAPS: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info947-SWAPSContinued.html

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

You don't have 5 slots, you have 10, plus 2 ultimate slots, one for each weapon set (after level 15). You can have the same skills on both with the exception one or two, if you like. Some people with single builds do this.

So far, its been fine.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

LOL...  all I need is my Ultimate!  I am doing the electricity sorcerer and having SO much fun, but if I get in a pinch I pop my Ultimate which is OverLoad and the sparks really start to fly!

Some say you have 5 buttons, some say 12 - because I suck at math I say 18:

I have my 6 buttons x 2 weapons = 12

plus my 3 mouse attacks (or weapon attacks): left light, left heavy and bash (left + right) x 2 = 6

see!  18

and when I pop my OverLoad my weapon light attack is BOOM!

anyway, you smart men figure the math out for buttons and let me know, but this game is AWESOME!!

ESO rockz!

Sz  :o)

Originally posted by SaunZ

LOL...  all I need is my Ultimate!  I am doing the electricity sorcerer and having SO much fun, but if I get in a pinch I pop my Ultimate which is OverLoad and the sparks really start to fly!

Some say you have 5 buttons, some say 12 - because I suck at math I say 18:

I have my 6 buttons x 2 weapons = 12

plus my 3 mouse attacks (or weapon attacks): left light, left heavy and bash (left + right) x 2 = 6

see!  18

and when I pop my OverLoad my weapon light attack is BOOM!

anyway, you smart men figure the math out for buttons and let me know, but this game is AWESOME!!

ESO rockz!

Sz  :o)

Yours is also a special case. Overload, being a toggle ultimate has its own unique bar. You can have any 5 other skills on the Overload bar as long as they're not weapon skills (weapon skills toggle you out of overload.) 

For PVE soloing or group dungeon boss fights, there is no better ultimate than Overload. I can solo clear dolmens and open world bosses with it easily.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I think i might go back to Rift. Its just not the UI either. The game is just not stable. Its been out a year and me and a lot of others are always getting random freezes and crashes to login screen. Its been this way from the time i bought the game. What pisses me off is that i love Tes.games and i want this game to get fixed quickly. I wont uninstall it ever. I will just wait and see if they can patch these problems. I just happen to finish the lvl 35 part of the main quest. And it crashed just after i collected the reward for completing it. That's just to much for me. And the latest patch today has bought in some crazy rubberbanding and lag. It seems to get worse with every patch.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Isn't the UI designed to be like that of the Elder Scrolls franchise? OP must not have liked or played Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim.

I think a lot of folks get bent out of shape if the UI doesn't work like WoW. To me it's nice to mix it up a bit and have something different, but I can understand if he just doesn't like it at all. I had problems with DAoC and others really enjoyed it!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Isn't the UI designed to be like that of the Elder Scrolls franchise? OP must not have liked or played Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim.

I think a lot of folks get bent out of shape if the UI doesn't work like WoW. To me it's nice to mix it up a bit and have something different, but I can understand if he just doesn't like it at all. I had problems with DAoC and others really enjoyed it!

I don't get how any of you can put Morrowind in this topic. In morrowind as a fighter you enchanted your weapons with cast on strike. If you used a potion you opened your character sheet and dragged it on to your character. And you could do it in the middle of a fight. So please don't try and put my favorite Tes game into this.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I don't get how any of you can put Morrowind in this topic. In morrowind as a fighter you enchanted your weapons with cast on strike. If you used a potion you opened your character sheet and dragged it on to your character. And you could do it in the middle of a fight. So please don't try and put my favorite Tes game into this.

You described a few subtle differences, but basically they all handle the same way.  Like I said, it isn't anything like WoW and that was my point.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

This is limited hotbar, tactical action combat game where positioning and movement is as much a part of the combat as the skills you use.  WoW multiple rows of hotbars is ----------------> that way.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242

I really like this feature.

My ability bar will very seldom match another of my same class. 

Giggidy!

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Obviously these UI's are made for the console there can be no doubt about that.  But I have to give props to the developers in convincing PC gamers that the they don't need so many combat options and its just to "confusing".  That they have "streamlined" the combat system after getting feedback from the community, blaa, blaa ,blaa.

I think I would of been happier just being told, ya we have to make a UI that works on the console,  ya console gamers cant actively manage more than about 5 abilities so we designed our combat system around console game play.  And sorry PC gamers that's just the way it is.

I argue that the 5 slots make things much, much, MUCH more complicated. 

I can't use all my skills, so I have to choose a few. 

I have to figure out which skills will work well together.

If I had all skills available at all times... I would have one type of character. Being limited to only 5 at a time makes me specialize and build a character that is my own and different from the next guy. 

OR

OR

OR

I could somehow rationalize that I am a victim in a situation where a company is trying to sell me entertainment.... somehow..................

somehow...........

additional ..........................................

Originally posted by goboygo

Obviously these UI's are made for the console there can be no doubt about that.  But I have to give props to the developers in convincing PC gamers that the they don't need so many combat options and its just to "confusing".  That they have "streamlined" the combat system after getting feedback from the community, blaa, blaa ,blaa.

I think I would of been happier just being told, ya we have to make a UI that works on the console,  ya console gamers cant actively manage more than about 5 abilities so we designed our combat system around console game play.  And sorry PC gamers that's just the way it is.

The thing is that there are several MMOs that never had any plans to launch console versions with similar limited bars... GW2 and TSW to name just 2. It's a different style of MMO than EQ, WOW and their many clones.

And EQ and WOW were not even true to the spirit of tabletop D&D where casters, for example, had to pre-select which spells they wanted to memorize in between rest periods from a larger set.

Selecting a limited number from many possibilities is actually quite enjoyable and leads to more build diversity,

I play and have played WOW and Rift and SWTOR and many other multiple hot-bar MMOs as well as TSW and GW2 and this one. No one needed to talk me into anything lol. I've played them all and I prefer the limited bar system by far over the old bloated EQ/WOW clone style.

Some people, apparently don't. But saying it's all about the console controller, misses the whole point of this style.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    No nameplates just kills this game.  Cant tell where NPCs are and mobs come from the dark.  Horrid.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    As was already mentioned thankfully this is an Elder Scrolls game and as such it's highly moddable.  Look into installing "Greymind Quick Slot Bar".  This will allow you to forgo the console based spin wheel and exchange it for more PC friendly hotbar for all your potions which can then be mapped to keybinds.  It won't increase the number of action keys (10+2) but it will make it feel more like a regular MMO.  If your issue is just the lack of available action bars then this game is indeed not for you as that is a fundamental part of the combat system and fewer action keys is becoming the new trend in this genre so it's unlikely to be going away anytime soon.
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Iselin

The thing is that there are several MMOs that never had any plans to launch console versions with similar limited bars... GW2 and TSW to name just 2. It's a different style of MMO than EQ, WOW and their many clones.

And EQ and WOW were not even true to the spirit of tabletop D&D where casters, for example, had to pre-select which spells they wanted to memorize in between rest periods from a larger set.

Selecting a limited number from many possibilities is actually quite enjoyable and leads to more build diversity,

I play and have played WOW and Rift and SWTOR and many other multiple hot-bar MMOs as well as TSW and GW2 and this one. No one needed to talk me into anything lol. I've played them all and I prefer the limited bar system by far over the old bloated EQ/WOW  clone style.

Some people, apparently don't. But saying it's all about the console controller, misses the whole point of this style.

Not to be argumentative but EQ didn't have a bloated hotbar system. All you ever had were 8 skills available at one time.

EQ2 and WOW, among others are the hotbar pigs requiring three or more 12 key hotbars for your abilities.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Letsinod
    No nameplates just kills this game.  Cant tell where NPCs are and mobs come from the dark.  Horrid.

This too can be fixed with a mod.  No offense to those who aren't aware but in a thread that mentions the fact you can mod this game and yet continue to complain about issues that have been solved by modders you aren't putting up a very good case for why this game isn't for you.  Instead you're just showing your unwillingness to give the game a fair shot.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by miguksaram
    As was already mentioned thankfully this is an Elder Scrolls game and as such it's highly moddable.  Look into installing "Greymind Quick Slot Bar".  This will allow you to forgo the console based spin wheel and exchange it for more PC friendly hotbar for all your potions which can then be mapped to keybinds.  It won't increase the number of action keys (10+2) but it will make it feel more like a regular MMO.  If your issue is just the lack of available action bars then this game is indeed not for you as that is a fundamental part of the combat system and fewer action keys is becoming the new trend in this genre so it's unlikely to be going away anytime soon.

Just turn on enemy health bars "always on" and it will fix the issue for you.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well among some schools of thought, mostly dealing with art, the saying is, "less is more".   That saying is taking a while in gaining traction with MMOs though.  Either way, I think the UI is trying to mimic the Elder Scrolls games which have always leaned towards consoles since Morrowind.  So, yeh basically the controls/UI were meant with consoles in mind.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I think i might go back to Rift. Its just not the UI either. The game is just not stable. Its been out a year and me and a lot of others are always getting random freezes and crashes to login screen. Its been this way from the time i bought the game. What pisses me off is that i love Tes.games and i want this game to get fixed quickly. I wont uninstall it ever. I will just wait and see if they can patch these problems. I just happen to finish the lvl 35 part of the main quest. And it crashed just after i collected the reward for completing it. That's just to much for me. And the latest patch today has bought in some crazy rubberbanding and lag. It seems to get worse with every patch.

It wasn't like this in January and before (except for specific Cyrodiil issues), but with the launch of 1.6 the server has been under severe strain from all the returning players. They need more hardware and load balancing.