Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you play a female character as a guy because you get treated better?

Comments

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I usually don't like how the males look in mmos.. Almost always the females armor looks better and they have better animations.  It cracks me up when guys get offended about this.  Go out in the real world if you want to meet girls.

This.

If the artists and animators put as much time into the male models, I would play more male characters. I play a mix of both and base my decision at the very beginning based on the character's art style and animation quality.

For people who are curious why a male would play a female character, let me ask - are you also perplexed when a white person plays as an Asian or dark skinned race? Does it bother you? What happens if I play as a cat? Would someone get mad because it's feminine and since I am a man, I should choose a more K-9 inspired race?

What about a goat? I guess it depends if the goat appears sexy. If it does appear sexy... what does that say about you? (the viewer, not anyone in particular)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I dont have a problem with someone playing a female avatar as long as you are not doing it to gain something from someone. I had a friend in EQ back in the day had a guy con him he was a woman and get all sorts of in game gifts. Even sent him money in RL. My friend that got conned ended up quitting the game when he found out the truth. Sad to lose a guildie over such a stupid thing. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I dont have a problem with someone playing a female avatar as long as you are not doing it to gain something from someone. I had a friend in EQ back in the day had a guy con him he was a woman and get all sorts of in game gifts. Even sent him money in RL. My friend that got conned ended up quitting the game when he found out the truth. Sad to lose a guildie over such a stupid thing. 

Blame the right person, the idiot friend of yours.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Those are some pretty overwhelming poll results. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Whenever I see a female character in an MMO I automatically picture the person playing it as actually some forty year old man  sitting in his boxers surrounded by pizza boxes.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• the_stickmanthe_stickman Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I prefer to play female characters because I'd rather look at a female for hours than a male.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    As most, it is because they look better.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Male characters have usually terrible animation

Look TERRIBLE, most males in games look like they are on steroids.

Male characters if voiced, always sound terrible unless its voiced by a famous actor which would be really expensive

The only exception is WoW which does a vastly better job at males

Tauren look more "fat", not like on steroids

Forsaken are bony (super skinny) so males look AMAZING

Troll males look great too

Males (at least NPCs) in WoW sound amazing

Most games just make males look like on steroids and sound lame. Very few games let you be fat or skinny or ugly. Only WoW for MMOs as far as I know lol. Plus WoW males have great voices, so huge plus there.

SO to sum it up, WoW is the only good MMO if you want good males :P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Actually only play male characters, they might be fantasy or sci fi based.

Only play female if a game doesn't give me another option. But that's mostly singleplayer games, example Lara Croft......

Have nothing against male playing female characters or female's playing male characters. Had a old SWG friend who exposed "himself " after a half a year of playing together. He played a very convincing female character.

Overall the only thing that matters to me is if that other person is enjoying his/her character experiance. Don't really care if it's a male playing female or female playing male. Aslong they both stay in "role"

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    When I want to make a male toon I try to make them look like me, which means bearded and chubby. It never really works. Either there are not fat options, the armor is not designed for any body type other than standard, beard choices suck. So I just make a nice looking lady instead. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I admit I don't know whether it's a real issue or not... personally never heard about any difference of treatment or approach due to avatar genders, and same goes for players on voice chat - true, my main games have mature and respectful communities.

I just wanted to post a thanks, it was a great fun re-watching 4Tanks, since the title and question reminded me onto LuvPrncess right away: https://youtu.be/A47d3fjDNSQ?t=8m12s  image

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I knew a guy that did this all the time. And he always had the best gear made or given to him by other players.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Tauren look more "fat", not like on steroids

Forsaken are bony (super skinny) so males look AMAZING

Troll males look great too

Like you , i prefer the male model have some special , they at less need to look fun and epic or little strange.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Don't want to stare at a guys back(side) for 6 - 8 hours a day.

So its about half and half between male and female characters.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by Muppetier

When I play a male tauren warrior I am a rampaging bull.

When I play a female blood elf priest I am an 18yo lesbian with no cam.

Hehe

there needs to be a thumbs up or like feature here

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Blame the right person, the idiot friend of yours.

Really sad thats your take on that. 

• GReYVeeGReYVee Member UncommonPosts: 52

Interesting responses with plenty of familiar explanations that relate to aesthetics. I have heard these answers so many times I am pretty sure it's pure bullshit.

I've exclusively played male characters since I identify with that gender both biologically and culturally. What I look like in-game is basically invisible to me (don't get me wrong I am a fashion-whore) and consider my avatar to be a conduit of expression.

However this is a good question, and on the flip side, I get treated better by female characters regardless of their RL gender. I rarely give people anything but my time and know I interact with male avatars more deferentially. It's just natural for me to play it out under the assumption of character gender rather than the 'All is Male' approach. Otherwise the entire game world is one-dimensional in that respect. So yes, I do 'manage' people based on character gender. The same way I 'manage' people in real life based on gender. If you get to know someone as a person gender is apparent anyways.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I play either depending on what mood strikes me at the time I make the character. I am male, middle aged, and probably the guy you all image is on the other end of the interwebs.

I will say I do notice a slight difference.

I'm usually pretty quiet in games - I am not terribly social or talkative. I am not a roleplayer. So I wouldn't say I knowingly or intentionally play characters any different based on the gender the character happens to be.

I have noticed a difference in the way my characters get treated. I notice it mostly when I say it's my first time doing something (A dungeon/instance/quest/etc... you perverts).

I've noticed as a male character, more people just assume you'll "get it" - give you a basic instruction, and not think another thing about it.

As a female character - Some people are more patient when you, some are more prone to be upset and assume you are incapable of learning it. It's not a lot of people, but it's enough that i've noticed a difference.. but it doesn't really tend to swing either way (bad or good). The support and patient crew are usually "You did so good!" or "Way to go, you got that quick!", and the dismissive crew are more apt to say something along the lines of "Your welcome for your carry".

And I've never, ever been asked to dance or chat for money/gold/gems/items in game when I'm on a male toon. I have when on a female toon (for the record while I have been propositioned, usually a "imma dood" sends them off, I have never taken anyone up on it.. although it could be amusing).

I wouldn't say I get treated better or worse, but definitely differently.

• GReYVeeGReYVee Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    The support and patient crew are usually "You did so good!" or "Way to go, you got that quick!"

I hate this shit. Don't experience it much but have management at work that thinks this actually means something. Empty empty cheer-leading. Fucking loath it.

and the dismissive crew are more apt to say something along the lines of "Your welcome for your carry".

The opposing self-centric side of the coin, who often assumes success is based on their own personal presence. Wrong way to deal with it. A 'Nice work', 'Good Job' or something respectful is more in line. What the hell happened to this. You really dealt with this more often as a female character? That is appalling.

Edit: This sites way of managing markup language is shitty.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    i play male always but most of my male friends role females because they get guys to make anything for them and pay for there sub and items. 
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

My first MMO was FFXI and one of the first times I really even had the option of choosing gender in a game.  I liked the cat race a lot so I went ahead and made one but they were gender locked female so that was the only choice.  Ever since I've always gravitated towards trying to recreate that character in other games that I've played.

I don't understand the people who struggle with this topic.  Most of the time it's a non issue but I've had a couple run ins with people who act like playing a female character is the moral equivalent of murder.  I once had a guy stalk and harass me for hours because he found out I was a guy playing an Assassin, a female gender locked class in Diablo 2.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

As a female character - Some people are more patient when you, some are more prone to be upset and assume you are incapable of learning it. It's not a lot of people, but it's enough that i've noticed a difference.. but it doesn't really tend to swing either way (bad or good). The support and patient crew are usually "You did so good!" or "Way to go, you got that quick!", and the dismissive crew are more apt to say something along the lines of "Your welcome for your carry".

Sounds like you play with a predominantly adolescent (possibly even new to the internet) player base. Can I ask what games you play that you experience that in? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Just wanna watch that ass all day long

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Aori
    Simply aesthetics for me.

I'd say it's mostly that too. When I originally played EQ2 I played only animal races (Froglok, etc.) because I didn't like the look of either male or female humanoids.

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Aori
    Simply aesthetics for me.

Pretty much this and things like animations. I think the first Female alt i created was a Rogue in WoW, but when Burning Crusade rolled out i made a Female Draenei Shaman, simply because the Male version was horrible aesthetically and animation wise. Some people may trick others into treating them better, but i'm honest about things like this.

I think the poll speaks for itself, honestly.