Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with no levels...skill based.

dsmwookiedsmwookie Member UncommonPosts: 8
Never been a fan of levels and prefer a U.O. style skill base that needs to be worked on. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Runescape. Online CCGs.
  • NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Mortal Online is a lot like UO in how the game is designed.

No classes.  Just a skill point limit.  You train up stuff and when you run out of points you can untrain stuff to make room for others or just lock your skills where you want to keep them.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Healing with a firearm was always odd to me. 
    Xarko

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    There are no classes or character levels in Project Gorgon, just skills.  If you want to get better at something, you have to use that skill.  If you want to learn new skills, you have to make friends with NPCs and they will teach you.  It's pretty fun so far.  Free to play.

Me

Her

• dsmwookiedsmwookie Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Any games that are more up to date?

Gorgon seems neat, but the graphics are a bit too dated for me.
  • dsmwookiedsmwookie Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Tried mortal online, it was pretty clunky and poor graphics.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

You have to be much more specifc when you just say "no levels" or  "skil based". Unfortunately, both terms mean different things at different times. Example, "levels" alone could mean anything from character level to just skill level. "Skill based" could mean level of skill learned OR earned via character leveling. The definitions are just too blurred as stated. People could "assume" just about anything and therefore answer accordlingly.

Frankly, I do not know of any MMO that does not use some form of leveling. All so far mentioned technically have leveling one way or anyother. Also, there is no such thing as a purely "skill" (as in player skill) based games that do not use some from of leveling. If you don't see the leveling being done openly, you see in other things as flags to players to let them know they are progressing.

I am not arguing that there should or should not be a purely "skill based" MMO. I think it would be great if someone would do that. However, I think the majority of MMO players are too us to having the yardstick of "leveling" to make it popular with everyone.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

You could try Darkfall Unholy Wars. It's the 2nd implementation of Darkfall, which initially had a class system but they have removed that and changed it to an open skill system and changed armors to impact various stats (spell power, attack speed, etc) so you can completely customize your character by mixing up different armor and weapon types with a wide array of skills.

It is twitch / shooter style combat and full loot PvP. One or both of those may be a turn off to some, but if not then it is probably a great game for you to try.

Theyve been making some pretty sweeping changes to combat and mechanics recently as well. Fine tuning character movement and combat fluidity, removal of or nerfing of most of movement / cc skill and replacing them with new types of skills. Previously the game relied quite heavily on certain movement / cc abilities screwing with the balance of the game by allowing things like the traditional skirmisher builds to way too easily either a) not engage in combat by being able to easily escape with no chance of being caught (outrunning mounts, leaping off of mountains and flying hundreds of yards away) or b) easily chase down weaker players with no chance to fight back or escape. Then you had other builds who had enough CC to just completely lock players down and prevent them from being able to fight back.

A a result, theyve started making the game more reliant on actual player movement and positioning rather than gimmick builds that exploit the advantages of CC / movement abilities.

As for graphics, the graphics themselves arent too bad. theyre not the greatest, it is an indie game after all, but theyre decent. The art style and animations leave a bit to be desired as well. Especially by vets of Darkfall Online who used to have more variety in characters and some better looking races. Unfortunately with DFUW they decided to normalize everyone. Same height and hitbox sizes, more human looking (Mahirim race went from looking like werewolves in DFO to looking like some kind of goofy looking goat with a flattened face).

Anyway, minor issues (mostly aesthetic) aside, it can be a very fun, though grindy at times, game with high build customization and a focus on open world pvp and politics between clans. If you like being a solo player there is still plenty of fun to be had, i spent a lot of time as a solo player myself, but if youre new to the game especially joining a clan is recommended. Always helps to have some friends so you dont get ambushed while fighting mobs and lose the stuff youve been farming for the past hour. Clan territory control mechanics also provide you with bonuses, so another bonus of being in a clan.

I would likely still be playing myself but unfortunately am at a point where I just prefer to kick back and relax while i play with a controller which i can do just fine in most MMOs, but in Darkfall not having the accuracy of the mouse and all the available keys for individual skill and weapon / tool swapping is too limiting.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    The Repopulation 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    Haven't played UO, but I suggest The Secret World. There are no levels, you grab points upon completion of missions, which are used to learn skills for the weapon of your choice. The weapon and build marks your role. Characters are roll-less.

But don't under estimate TSW world, because there's no levels, doesn't mean you can take your nose everywhere.

While is a themepark, quests are not fully hardcoded in their order. It offers some flexibility for exploration.

i was going to suggest TSW but didnt because although it doesnt have lvls it is heavily based on gear stats, not skills.

• thremmathremma Member UncommonPosts: 16

Going to erase this, just want to see how sig looks

• KruzilKruzil Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Monster Hunter (any)
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

You could try Darkfall Unholy Wars.

I agree. I think it's the best bet among current choices.

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Originally posted by dsmwookie
    Never been a fan of levels and prefer a U.O. style skill base that needs to be worked on. Any suggestions?

Crowfall is made by Gordon Walton (UO) and J Todd Coleman (Shadowbane). Players will start playing in alpha at the end of this summer.

It has action combat and high skill progression (disciplines, promotion classes, passive + active training, advantages, runes, etc.), no level, no grind (every item created by crafters).

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by dsmwookie

As an avid UO player who still plays I'd highly highly recommend EVE Online. As a UO player also i was unhappy with : Darkfall,Mortal Online, TSW, and pretty much every other one mentioned except for crowfall.

• jeddakusjeddakus Member CommonPosts: 8
    edited October 2017
    I am also looking for a skill based (skills increase as you use them) mmo type game so I am going to check out the suggestions.     

btw  why is project gorgon talking about levels for players ?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Most games have levels/progression per say, some just don't show up as numbers; even the older games. In some ways that number you see in most games is just a visual aid that serves to tell the player whether or not they can take on a certain aspect of content. The numbers don't always reflect the true nature of your abilities or the games progression ladder either. You might unlock a particular skill, or trait you need to become stronger every 5-10 levels, in between the experience you gain and minor skills act as a buffer.  SWG had levels, but it was hidden behind a skill system; but worked much the same as MMOs today.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Most games you are either grinding one or the other...Many liked UO because they used scripts to raise their skills
  • MaguaMagua Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Legends of Aria is the closest thing to UO since UO since it is being developed by former UO developers and players. The game just finished the final Alpha so it still has a lot of polish work to be done but they plan to launch Beta on Steam hopefully by the end of the year. In the meantime, you can pledge to back the game and get instant access to the Community servers that are being run and administered by independent groups of admins/devs who have access to the game's code.

So far there are a lot of old UO vets playing and my guild is thoroughly enjoying the open world sandbox. As long as you play with an open mind that it is NOT a finished product you'll enjoy it and hopefully participate in the testing and further development. 

FYI - number of old UO pvp guilds are playing on Teiravon server currently until the official server is available again in beta.
  • A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276
    age of wushu/wulin was kinda non level based but u had too collect skill books for different skills instead

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(