Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you play a female character as a guy because you get treated better?

Comments

• wiscelwiscel Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Male always playing female characters. If I'm gonna play a game like Warhammer Online for a long time I don't want to stare at a dude's ass :-D 
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Two reasons, mainly.

First:  My first DnD character was a female character (on a dare).  She ended up being one of my all time favorite characters.  The name has translated into every MMO or RPG game I've played.

Second:  Character models.  Most male models are horrible.  If I'm going to stare at the ass of something (I play in 3rd person normally) for 50+ levels; it needs to not be ugly.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

I usually only roll female characters as alts with the cooking profession so that they can provide food buffs for my mains (all males) when they go hunting for mats.

It has worked in our society for thousands of years, why reinvent the wheel?

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by askdaboss
    I usually only roll female characters as alts with the cooking profession so that they can provide food for my mains (all males) who go hunting for mats.

Do they run around barefoot too? 

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I never really noticed it, actually I get treated worse in certain communities, like rp communities, because there's always some sort of female planetary giant that's afraid I'm going to steal her orbiters.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by GeezerGamer Originally posted by Foomerang Yes I think being treated differently is the correct term. "Better" is highly subjective even if someone is being nice to you because you are female. Is that really better? Knowing someone is being extra nice to you because they think you have a vagina. And all the assumptions and social courtesies that go with it.
    I guess that would depend on what you define as better vs. different. To some, I'd imagine they like the extra attention regardless, and to others, I'd imagine they'd rather be acknowledged for how they play the game.
    What I'm saying is women are not treated better because they are thought of as better. They are thought of as less. We treat people with mental disabilities better also. Buy none of us would actually want to be disabled. We do it because we feel we must spare them from the harsh realities that normal people endure. And subconsciously, we treat women the same way, as having a disability.  
    I don't know. I think it has to do with the anonymity and imagery of who is behind the avatar. And the Geek Fantasy hormone factor.

To yoru point though. It is common for men to adjust their behavior and language in the presense of women so as not to be as offensive as they might be otherwise.

But I recall back when I had just gotten engaged, my then fiance had some old friends in from out of town and I ended up being a 4th wheel on a dinner outing. It's funny to watch 3 women loosen up over drinks. I became virtually invisible as they began to open up among each other.

Yeah, They were as offensive as any "male" conversation I had ever seen. So they do it too, they just hide it better.

Hehe that's awesome.
  • andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89

I nearly always roll female characters, simply because 9 out ten times they always look better.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I usually don't like how the males look in mmos.. Almost always the females armor looks better and they have better animations.  It cracks me up when guys get offended about this.  Go out in the real world if you want to meet girls.

Very much this.

Also, I'd mention that I've never noticed being "treated better" if I play a female character than a male character.  Matter of fact, on some occasions I've had to log off due to encounters with creeps.

My choice on character gender is also often based on the class.  If it's a sword and board "tanky" kind of class, I'll usually play a male character.  If it's more of a nimble, "strike from the shadows" sort of character, I tend to play females.

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

I play both male and female characters, depending on how I feel about roleplaying. There are ocassions in which a female character gets treated better (usually by dumb, horny teenagers), but as soon as I detect that, I let them know I'm a guy (I also use voice chat a lot).

Why do I play females sometimes?

1) They make more sense for that class withing that world. While a male human Priest does make sense (the class is Priest, not Priestess), I'd rather roleplay as a female, becuase in my mind, females are more caring and nurturing. On the other hand, I'd make a huge Draenei Warrior or a tough-looking Dwarf because they look badass.

2) Sometimes, it's just because they look better. Of course, that's a biased opinion, since I'm a male, but it's commonly accepted that females are sweeter to the eye than a male.

3) On a rare occasion, I want to troll people or gain the advantages of fully inmersing myself as a female. I'll go full RP here, and actually believe I'm a very feminine woman. Yeah, I have mental issues. Deal with it.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

"female character models look better" = I love that TNA and don't want to come out and say it, ha ha...

I'm a male and I roll 80/20 Female, gotta love those curves :)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I usually play a mix of male / female depending on the character.

Example my sneaky thief NB in ESO is a male khajiit. My healing spec Templar is a female Breton. My plate wearing DK is a male. My Sorc. is a female dark elf.

I dont RP but I do try to play what I kind of envision the character to be. Cloth wearing priestess type who specializes in healing for my Templar for example.  Sneaky, stealthy Bow user a Khajiit goes perfect.

I have never been "treated" better on my female characters, at least not that I notice. And I am also quick to tell anyone I am a male if they ask or get weird.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    What I want to know is why the topic always reads males playing female characters and never females playing male characters?  Screams sexism to me.  Why is it bad for a guy to act like a girl but not a girl to act like a guy?

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

My main is always male, class type assasin, thief...that kind.

Some classes generally have weird armor or animations if male, so I choose them female, as rangers and mages.

And for another character of the same class (for example, a warrior), I use the other gender. If I had a male warrior, then the next warrior will be female.

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    What I want to know is why the topic always reads males playing female characters and never females playing male characters?  Screams sexism to me.  Why is it bad for a guy to act like a girl but not a girl to act like a guy?

Because girls are usually a rare commodity. If a guy finds out that his "buddy" was actually a girl, I don't think he'd get as mad as if it were the other way around. Also, the cliché that most gamers are horny and desperate is kind of true (it's there for a reason).

BTW, you sound like a feminist. I hope you're not, because this topic is going to turn into a battlefield. Just in case: "sexism" will always exist. Why? Because men and women are not the same. Not biologically, not psychologically. You either deal with the fact that we'll never be the same, or you spend half your life being bitter about it.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I predominantly play male characters, but I've dabbled with a few female characters.  I've found it useful from time-to-time in a heavy role playing environment.  It helps me to iron out pesky dialog and attitudes that I try to use in my feeble attempts at writing.  I'm proud (and halfway ashamed) that I was able to carry off a persona of a young 8-10 girl for an extended period (several years) with only 3 people out of hundreds I interacted with suspecting that I wasn't a woman.  Now, if I could get a better handle on an adult female character.

(My first female character was in EQ1, a human bard who was supposed to be a spokes model for the Seafarer's Ring Mail I was making with my enchanter.  She was pretty much retired when the Seafarer's Ring Mail didn't have any special graphical appearance like many of the other cultural armor recipes).

VoIP will hopefully see the cross-gender trend diminish in RP games.  I know it breaks immersion for my scratchy baritone-tenor speaking voice to come over the speakers.  And I've got the whole Jim Neighbors thing going for me -- I'm somewhere between a bass and a baritone when I sing.  So, the whole Dr. Mrs. The Monarch experience.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

LOL to the above.

This is one of those posts that pops up every year or so since, well, since the beginning of this site and even before that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Good question.

A few years back I did know some women who had male characters and funny enough because they felt they got better treated that way instead of the other way around. Of course better treated for them (and me for that matter) meant people were treating them like normal people and not just sone weird rare createure that needs protection and probably suck.

I don't really see what it matters any way around (unless you have cybersex with someone pretending to be something else, that is kinda creepy), it is just a game and what your avatar look like have no impact  whatsoever.

I respect players for being good or if not to make the effort to learn, besides being nice that is. Male of female doesn't matter and I wont give beggers gold or item no matter what.

And if I want to go and pick up someone I go to the pub. If you however must hit a a gamer girl then there are webbsites specifically for that. So cut it off with the stereotype if the horny nerd who pathetically try to hit on the few girls who like the same things (and they aren't so few anymore).

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    The times I play as a female character are if the male models and animations are terrible and/or the armors look better on female models of the class I want to play.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I wonder how many women play male characters compared to males who play female characters. I think those numbers would be interesting. 
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

When I play a male tauren warrior I am a rampaging bull.

When I play a female blood elf priest I am an 18yo lesbian with no cam.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I usually don't like how the males look in mmos.. Almost always the females armor looks better and they have better animations.

Same here. Male appearance and armor in most MMOs usually seems far less ornate and far less inspired to me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Muppetier

This... this is gold! I almost fell off my chair laughing! THANK YOU!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Franconstein
    Originally posted by Muppetier

This... this is gold! I almost fell off my chair laughing! THANK YOU!

IM'd a friend with that one. Comedy gold. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• 5ubzer05ubzer0 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Ender4

Anyone who says they get treated different playing a female in a MMORPG is either acting different when they play one or is jerking your chain, it just doesn't happen unless you are actively acting differently when you play a female.

This.

In my experience, no one cares if your character is female. I've been a female pvper for 15 years playing female toons and it has never been an issue. I can't even remember the last time my gender came up in conversation. And why should it?

Also, why would you exclude all non-male gamers from the poll? It's 2015, keep up with the times!

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Loke666

Good question.

A few years back I did know some women who had male characters and funny enough because they felt they got better treated that way instead of the other way around. Of course better treated for them (and me for that matter) meant people were treating them like normal people and not just sone weird rare createure that needs protection and probably suck.

I don't really see what it matters any way around (unless you have cybersex with someone pretending to be something else, that is kinda creepy), it is just a game and what your avatar look like have no impact  whatsoever.

I respect players for being good or if not to make the effort to learn, besides being nice that is. Male of female doesn't matter and I wont give beggers gold or item no matter what.

And if I want to go and pick up someone I go to the pub. If you however must hit a a gamer girl then there are webbsites specifically for that. So cut it off with the stereotype if the horny nerd who pathetically try to hit on the few girls who like the same things (and they aren't so few anymore).

Yup, over the years I noticed that when I played male characters I got more respect from players than the times I played a female character. 

I am an older lady who plays some of each gender these days and it's amazing how many times guys find it weird that a woman is playing a male character when they hear my voice in Teamspeak.  Yet these same guys don't find it strange that they and other guys are playing female characters.