Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you play a female character as a guy because you get treated better?

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Well... It's a role playing game(s). I play different roles. Is this still an issue?

edit: so back in 2009 folks were asking this same question. Did we ever get an answer that anyone liked and will this be any different?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

For me it goes like this, my main is a guy like myself and usually a tank or dual wielding character and then I usually make a female caster type, the other characters tend to be female but it depends on what the males and females look like.

I have found that female characters look better and have better "fashion" gear than the males and I rather look at a good looking chick as I play rather than some stupid looking guy with poor customization. It also depends if I have a specific role or backstory I am going for too.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by TheDove
    I like to play spell casters, and those are sometimes locked as female; leaving no choice. Path of Exile Witch, for instance...

Just sayin, while i totally get what you mean and agree with you, Path of Exile is a horrible example since you can be a spell caster as a Marauder or Shadow if you wanted to. What your character does isn't tied specifically into what character you make. It's all tied into your build and the path you decide to go in the passive tree.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I usually play a male. The only game I played a female in was Aion because I couldn't stand the male characters.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

No I play female characters because:

A, if the male art design for the race I want is poor (I find the art design of a lot of male in various races always done so poorly)

B, if I can think of an interesting characterization and back story for the character.

So, for example, my main character in Skyrim is male, uses multiple weapons and magic but I have a rigid, sort of "Joan of Arc" female character who is more of a paladin type who only uses healing magic, despises all dragons and vampires, etc. "Does the right thign" even though the right thing might not be "so right".

I don't "actively role play" but when I am soloing I try to do things and imagine things the character would do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

Only in SWTOR did I ever play a female character, and that's only because the David Bowie bulge in the crotch of the males really made me uneasy.

Also do people actually treat female toons different? I assume all characters are guys and treat as such until I hear voices on Vent or TS. Edit: And then I just change from saying dude to just saying their name.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by meataxe
    As a guy, I never play female characters as it breaks emersion.  I cant imagine fighting and questing without my trusty shlong hanging on a little to the right.

One might even say...your meataxe...image

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

I play whichever gender gets me a nice looking person faster when I mash random

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by mrputts

Also do people actually treat female toons different? I assume all characters are guys and treat as such until I hear voices on Vent or TS. Edit: And then I just change from saying dude to just saying their name.

years ago, when I was playing Lineage 2, I made an alt that was going to be my recharger for mana. I made the character female.

Outside the dark elf village was a higher level pker taking out lowbies.

He was talking up a storm and knocking off low level characters as they left or were coming into the city.

When it was just he and I he said "dont' worry, I don't kill chicks" and then took off over a field to chase after another "male" lowbie.

one could think he was roleplaying a character but based upon the style of his language he was just some guy who liked "killing" people in game who he thought were really guys.

I probably could have argued the point but "meh" I had to level!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    For me I play whichever has better looking animations for the class I am playing.  I am a big fan of rogue/sin  in most mmo's I have played the female animations tend to look better, alot of male races seem to feel clunky to me sometimes.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

Sometimes the class of my choice is female only (say, Witch Elves in Warhammer), sometimes I prefer the armor or the model, once I even made a female just to be a special snowflake (because everyone else was making males - my first WoW Shaman was a Taureness imagebut the manipulation was never the reason.

Once I was chating with a 15 YO (my assessment) boy on my Witch Elf, he was very talky and friendly and suddenly, without visible reason he stopped talking and went away from me. He didnt react on my whisper, and it took me half a minute of rolling the chat back to understand that my last sentence "revealed" that I am male IRL (not that I was trying to hide it). Poor child was shocked and disgusted image

W...aaagh?
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Myrradah
    No, I like looking at Pixel TnA

Essentially this. Sometimes I do make male characters but first character is always female.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I sometimes play female because if I'm going to look at my character's ass for 1 000 hours it'd better to be good looking ass.

I've also once played females for clothing options available to a female (SWTOR).

Once I did it because there was size difference between the models and I though smaller gave in-game advantage.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I relate to male characters more than female characters, so the vast majority of my characters are male.

If I do roll up a female character is because:
    1) I want to see how she plays
    2) I relate females more to clerics and magic users
    3) Eye Candy :) (Different outfits for females.)

When I have played females characters, I have not noticed any "better treatment." I have actually been harassed as a female character a few times.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I don't roleplay so its often a coin toss.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Chose my male and female characters at SWTOR because of their voices. Created those character's background story around that voice characteristics. If voice was suited for a hot blooded fighter, I made them a male or female damage dealer. If the voice was that of a stout protector, I gave them a tank role, male or female. If their voice was smooth and reflective, I made them healers, male or female.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I rarely play female avatars, but if i do, i don't like conversing with people as one, because then they treat me as a female, which feels awkward. lol.

My mains have always been males.  But to answer the question, i wouldn't use one just so people could treat me better.  If people are treating you worse because you're a male, then just "man" up, ignore, and move on.   There's thousands of others online that will show respect, whether male or female.  /shrug

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

My main is always a guy. He's always the heavily armored, tanking, sword and board type. He's always the one that looks like me.

however, when I make other characters, I just make them how I envision that character to be when I dream them up or whatever. Some times, it happens to be a female. I hate when people assume I'm really a female though, so I interact a lot less while on female characters

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I usually don't like how the males look in mmos.. Almost always the females armor looks better and they have better animations.  It cracks me up when guys get offended about this.  Go out in the real world if you want to meet girls.

Pretty much this.

I dont really RP but I like to have a back story for my character so to speak. I recently hopped back into ESO since it went B2P and I made a Bosmer Archer whose part of the Ebonhart Pact. Reason is that she came to these strange lands to hunt new creatures and decided to stay.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

my 1 reason to play a race / gender combo is for animations and how gear looks on him/her. Usually play man (90% of the time) , but for some classes i prefer playing a female char , or because gear sets look better on female

treated better? when that happens? ...im sure 99% of the ppl treat a woman character like every other....because u know 99% of the time is a G.I.R.L , and even if is a woman in RL , she should be treated equal , no preferences or advantages.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Playing a female character because you expect to get treated better seems to me as immature as treating a person better because they play a female character. 

My characters are pretty much random, I like variations. The last Diablo 3 character I created was a female wizard. Why? Because the last wizard I played in Diablo 3 was male. The same as my last warrior on Diablo was male, because the warrior before that was female.

The gender of the character doesn't matter to me. In case of doubt, I play what is more rarely played, to add more variation to the game.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

Cause male characthers for the most of the MMOS looks ugly as sin...The only mmo whose male character has a unique aesthetic appeal would be aion, ffxiv arr,tera.

I dont need my male chars to look huge like ronnie coleman... i want them to be visually pleasing... and that is so hard to design............

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

I grew up in the 70's with the Heavy metal comics, and they always had bad ass females in the cartoons.   So when I started playing the PvP games back then, I would roll up a girl toon and whoop ass with it.  Its use to be a lot more fun as you didnt use to see many female characters being played back in the day, mostly because I think people have this notion the character is suppose to be them and the same gender,,,,

There is a small advantage with female models in games, as they are usually smaller.  This can help in game where you want to be more stealthy.

I never act like a girl in game though, that is kinda gay, lol. 

only thing with chick toons these days, is they usually make annoying sounds when they take damage.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    To me, gender usually depends on the game. For 2-3 years I played only male characters in wow and then decided to make females cause I liked how they looked in certain armor sets. Other times it just like a slight RP for my personal taste, like I'll create my personal back story if I am able to get a certain name that I like. I never really play female characters with others in mind.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by sadWinds

Cause male characthers for the most of the MMOS looks ugly as sin...The only mmo whose male character has a unique aesthetic appeal would be aion, ffxiv arr,tera.

I dont need my male chars to look huge like ronnie coleman... i want them to be visually pleasing... and that is so hard to design............

I was about to say exactly the same thing, the female models in those games are amazing as well though.