Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy Crap! New Player Experience....

gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

despite having played a few years ago (well, many)  i went for the new player experience (since it was so long ago)

completely lost and apparently i managed to "fly" out of the starter area so that the very first step in the "tutorial" of finding an enemy is not available

GM popped into my chat to help but it seems english is not his/her first language so that "help" is not that helpful

after about 30 minutes in EVE i've decided that Project Gorgon is more my speed

at this point i'm guessing that Star Citizen is gonna kill EVE (eventually)

Comments

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    How did you manage not to follow simple instructions.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by gatheris

despite having played a few years ago (well, many)  i went for the new player experience (since it was so long ago)

completely lost and apparently i managed to "fly" out of the starter area so that the very first step in the "tutorial" of finding an enemy is not available

GM popped into my chat to help but it seems english is not his/her first language so that "help" is not that helpful

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Your not missing anything exciting or new in an Eve tutorial or missions.

As to Gorgon ,i liked it for awhile until he made some really dumb changes then i figured this guy went from realism to unrealism and turned me away.Initially you will find it cool and fun but eventually you will see how locked down every class is by the mana/power system,it actually makes every class feel the same even though your casting different spells.

The lead/owner also decided that Boss mobs could not be damaged past the armor  threshold because he gave them unrealistic regen.His philosophy was he didn't like players camping bosses..lol ,,,hello to gaming.I guess he thought it was wrong  that a player level 50 skill should not be able to kill a Boss rated at 30 skill...again hello anyone in there?He also spent too much time worrying about NEWEST or newer instead of finishing the beginning aspects of the game and fixing unheard of lag in all of the earlier dungeons.The economy in Gorgon is ok but imo a tad high because there are so few players that the few that actually stick together and group to get the best drops have the market owned.

I feel you might last 2 months in Gorgon then realize it doesn't really do enough different to make it a great choice.Too bad really i had high hopes for Gorgon,i thought it was moving in a great direction but now i see the dev is more worried about catering to the few echelon of vets that keep it going.It is why too small a team just doesn't cut it,there is just too many things that need addressed in a game.it would take far too long to realize a Triple A game in less than 10 years like that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

First:

you can restart the EVE tutorial at any time. Anywhere. You may have to fly back to the starting system.

Second:

Besides the tutorials you can also do the "Sisters of EVE" series of missions, specifically made for new players. You will get TONS of ships, skillsbooks, cash and modules during that story arc.

If you forgot your starting system ... takes about 1 min search on the internet to find the name  (depends on which character and empire you have chosen for your avatar).  Fly there and you find your target areas.  You could also ask in (General) Chat.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Rookie_Systems

You find MONTHS worth of information on the EVElopedia website.

Have fun

PS:

If all that is too much bother for you ... then EVE is not your game. Go play Gorgon. EVE would frustrate you time and time again.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

EvE Online - often the most exhilarating and amazing MMO experience you can ever have... coupled with being often the most boring the tedious MMO experience you can ever have.

Game sure has its ups and downs. Sure is unique in the current market.

I'm still holding out that one day it'll be the game I really want it to be. The complete "living the life of a starship captain" experience I've been craving since... well boyhood really.

Still, amazing game... pretty hard to get into though, and not very forgiving! 

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by BadSpock

EvE Online - often the most exhilarating and amazing MMO experience you can ever have... coupled with being often the most boring the tedious MMO experience you can ever have.

A bit like real life ...

Have fun

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Erillion

A bit like real life ...

Have fun

Thing is, games should be better than real life. Otherwise we might as well just stick to what we're already forced to do (real life).

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

A bit like real life ...

Have fun

Thing is, games should be better than real life. Otherwise we might as well just stick to what we're already forced to do (real life).

except the whole space-sapceship thingy ;)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

A bit like real life ...

Have fun

As to what games should be there is something else.  You should look at what a game offers then decide if that game might be for you.  If you see eve online and think "doesn't seem to be better than real life" then buy that game, you can't bitch about it not being better than real life.  Players need to take some responsibility for their choices.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Eve is not hard ,EVE is different

Eve is not game about space ships ,Eve is game about  players interactions,

Eve Is not space sim,Eve is sandbox sci fi  MMORPG

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    +1 for rolling out the 'aren't we clever diagram' up above ;p.

Eve is a great pvp sandbox that simply needs the player to be able to research and plan when they start playing the game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I hate that EVE graph. EVE requires "gaming skill" in the way that reading the dictionary or an encyclopaedia requires "gaming skill". Reading is actually the only skillset you need to play EVE as the game itself isn't much of one.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Rusque
    I hate that EVE graph. EVE requires "gaming skill" in the way that reading the dictionary or an encyclopaedia requires "gaming skill". Reading is actually the only skillset you need to play EVE as the game itself isn't much of one.

Lol, sounds like you were another victim of that "learning-cliff"... image

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by waynejr2

A bit like real life ...

Have fun

As to what games should be there is something else.  You should look at what a game offers then decide if that game might be for you.  If you see eve online and think "doesn't seem to be better than real life" then buy that game, you can't bitch about it not being better than real life.  Players need to take some responsibility for their choices.

Well, yes, the implied point is that people shouldn't buy it in the first place.  Unless that's what they're looking for, for whatever reason.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

I will admit it looks nice but SC will not be much of an MMORPG. It is a game of ships, upgrading ships, PVP combat and exploration. You do not 'craft' anything. It might be fun but I begin to believe that like alot of other games, repetition, like the wing commander games, Freelancer games etc. will be the thing. Unlike alot of other games, P2W is the way they've funded it. Unless you think people are putting up upwards of $20k for nothing? 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I think the new player experience today is much improved compared to when I started in 2007. Just did it last summer and it taught a great many more things and left my new character with lots of ships and loot. A lucky pirate faction drop in high sec have me enough cash for my first mining barge, and the Sisters of EVE story arc was very entertaining.

But EVE isn't for everyone, heck it's only for a small few really, and no big deal if not for you, you are in good company.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    na
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

SC is not a open world MMO and instanced based, so no.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Dranny
    How did you manage not to follow simple instructions.

yeah i was wondering the same, also one GM appeared to help him... wtf i don't want to continue my reply it might be offending for the abilities of the OP .. xD

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90

Since there's nothing good in the MMO world, I decided to give EVE Online another shot after a 3 year break with a special promo at 9.99$ for 30 days.  So I decided to renew my account for a month and after barely 10 hours of game play, it is now uninstalled, here's why : 

I used to be in a nice corp / alliance which I got kicked out over a year now, since I'm in the starter corp for over a year now. ISK ain't a issue for me, got well over 17bil liquid and another 50bil in assets. But I've forgotten much of the basics of the game and decided to undock my exhumer in high sec and start mining for the fun of it.  Well, I got ganked within a hour.  So I kept my cool and decided to run a level 4 mission to try out some new fits, again got ganked after a few hours.   Really now?  I've played EVE for 8 years and never have I gotten ganked in high sec.  The game used to have well over 65K~75K people at peek hours but only had 35ishK down to 15K when I was gone to bed.  I can clearly understand why,  CCP are pig headed, granted the game looks amazing, but the community and game play is to crap on.  New players continuously need to look over their shoulders, it's a good concept when at war or in low / null sec,  but in high sec?   Just make every system 0.0 and be done with it.    

When you look at the bigger picture, World of Darkness has been cancelled / postpone because of the fact that EVE-Online isn't doing all that well right now and DUST514 ain't all that either.   What really destroys EVE-Online are the kill boards, people will gank all over the place just for that stat upgrade on their pathetic selves, when in fact they're pissing new players off and driving them away from the game.   It's a shame, because EVE could of been a whole lot more popular, but the matter of fact is that EVE is losing players, and I sure as hell didn't know they lost this much inside of a 3 year period.  Sure the trailers look nice and all, but it's all gimmick.

Back when I was new to EVE  in 2005 with some co workers and friends, we would all mine in high sec to begin with and run missions when bored of mining, without ever getting ganked for a few months and trained ourselves for PvP until we were ready for the jump to low / null sec, those were the golden years of EVE.  Today, can't even mine for 30 minutes without being targeted / ganked by other players in high sec.    It's a real shame, because new players that want to try out the game with their friends won't be able to experience the game like I did back when I started playing with my friends, they'll simply get ganked whenever or where ever and end up uninstalling the game.  Gankers might find it funny to gank in high sec and blowing stuff up for the fun of it and putting it up on youtube,  but deep down they are destroying EVE-Online little by little, and CCP doesn't seem to give a damn, they'd much rather keep their small population happy, which will eventually quit and not be replaced, rather then to listen the massive player base that have tried and want to come back to EVE-Online, and don't get me wrong, people want to pay the monthly fee without any questions, but what's the point when you can't even run a level 1 mission without being jumped by gankers? Or mining in a bantam without getting popped by gankers in high sec?

It was a nice 24 hour come back while it lasted.  I knew I shouldn't have expected much from EVE, but meh, had nothing to do and had 10 bucks to burn.   Learned my lesson now and never again am I returning to EVE-Online.  I might just head back to PlanetSide 2, a lot more enjoyable and no 48 hour planning to gank 4 players with 500 players.  EVE-Online needs a massive revolution to happen, and it's about time that CCP stops petting their 50K player base, where easily 50% are scammers / multi boxers / gold sellers / bots, and start listening to the outside world that wants to jump in this once-upon-time-kick-ass-MMO.   

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    How many SP does your character have? Any interest in giving me that character? I'll pay for the transfer fees of course.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Yea I have to agree with op, the tutorial was going ok and then I ran into this thing called probe scanning and after dealing with that for a couple of hours I said NO
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's definitely got a learning curve.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I have tried many many mmos over the years but never EVE.  I have a friend who is into it and decided i would give it a shot ( about 4 days ago ). after about a hour in the game a GM popped into my chat and was giving me tons of info and alot of help answering any question i had. it was pretty amazing that a gm even did that i have never seen that in a game before.

Well to make a long story short, im still playing and having a great time. and i think a big reason is because i have a friend that is experienced in the game and is helping me out with any question i have and showing me the ropes. The game has alot to it and it took me real patience and alot of reading to get the hang of things. but in the end im glad i stuck with it because it really is a fun game.

The game does not hold your hand you need other players to do that for you to make the experience a little less rough when starting out.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Rusque

A skill is simply applied knowledge, and Eve requires a lot of knowledge. How do angular and transversal velocity affect your damage modifiers? How do ship mass calculations affect wormhole stability? What is the difference between warp scrambling and warp disruption, and in what situations is it better to use one over the other?

If you know the answers to the above, you can apply it in game, and that is skill.