Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Funcom financially (and TSW) not doing so great?

430005430005 Member Posts: 52

http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_fourth_quarter_financial_report_for_2014

Looking at the quarterly for Q4 2014, it's not looking good. Funcom made less profit this year then last year, operating costs exceed revenues for 2014 but they stated they can last for another year.

(On a sidenote, LEGO hasn't been making much money either for Funcom, which i can kinda understand since  LEGO Minifigures is just a cheap knockoff of LEGO Universe).

Anyone fearful what the future may hold for Funcom? It's clear that people are still buying items in TSW and Age of Conan, but they can't hide the fact it went down a lot.

Anyone care to discuss?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by 430005
    http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_fourth_quarter_financial_report_for_2014 Looking at the quarterly for Q4 2014, it's not looking good. Funcom made less profit this year then last year, operating costs exceed revenues for 2014 but they stated they can last for another year. (On a sidenote, LEGO hasn't been making much money either for Funcom, which i can kinda understand since  LEGO Minifigures is just a cheap knockoff of LEGO Universe). Anyone fearful what the future may hold for Funcom? It's clear that people are still buying items in TSW and Age of Conan, but they can't hide the fact it went down a lot. Anyone care to discuss?

Before tsw Age of conan had the most unbearable low pop you could imagine besides ryzom.
    It looked like the game was gona die any minute And yet, It still went on and i played for many year(s).

The secret world last time i played was doing "fine". The population was stable but small and you could go about your business knowing there was enough players to support what ever that may be. The population never went to the level age of conan was/is.

So i'm doubtful that any of these funcom titles will get dumped even with the financial situation they are in. The most likely doomsday scenario is that they revise for a more aggressive micro transaction system, and reevaluate the content production for tsw.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The Lego game is actually pretty fun - or at least it was during beta. After beta they first  added a paywall and then the requirements to enter new worlds. Even if you as new player are willing to pay up you will be rewarded by grinding the first world over and over again until you have enough characters to enter world 2. Rinse and repeat from there on.

I don't know how serious the financial problems are but I know that both Lego and TSW offered lifetime subscriptions last December.

Losing TSW would be a shame - the combat is clunky and dull but the atmosphere is pretty much unique in MMOs and it still makes me log in regularly.

Harbinger of Fools
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Anyone fearful what the future may hold for Funcom?

Fearful?

Well, I'm Norwegian, so is Funcom, which automatically makes me want to see them succeed - it's our only MMO company, we're not a major game producing country.

On the other hand, I don't like their games, so I'm not sure if I should even care.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I can't remember when last Funcom's financial reports "looked good".

It seems like every year they say the same thing: "Things are worse than last year, but we should be able to survive for another year". How they do it I don't know...

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I can't remember when last Funcom's financial reports "looked good".

It seems like every year they say the same thing: "Things are worse than last year, but we should be able to survive for another year". How they do it I don't know...

They live on loans, thats how, if they dont pick up like right now it wont last forever.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Nitth

http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_fourth_quarter_financial_report_for_2014

Looking at the quarterly for Q4 2014, it's not looking good. Funcom made less profit this year then last year, operating costs exceed revenues for 2014 but they stated they can last for another year.

(On a sidenote, LEGO hasn't been making much money either for Funcom, which i can kinda understand since  LEGO Minifigures is just a cheap knockoff of LEGO Universe).

Anyone fearful what the future may hold for Funcom? It's clear that people are still buying items in TSW and Age of Conan, but they can't hide the fact it went down a lot.

Anyone care to discuss?

Before tsw Age of conan had the most unbearable low pop you could imagine besides ryzom.
    It looked like the game was gona die any minute And yet, It still went on and i played for many year(s).

The secret world last time i played was doing "fine". The population was stable but small and you could go about your business knowing there was enough players to support what ever that may be. The population never went to the level age of conan was/is.

So i'm doubtful that any of these funcom titles will get dumped even with the financial situation they are in. The most likely doomsday scenario is that they revise for a more aggressive micro transaction system, and reevaluate the content production for tsw.

This was what I was thinking as well.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

What if instead of AoC and TSW they had put their resources into a new Anarchy Online?

I think AoC and TSW were the last games Funcom will produce. They had some great ideas and they did try to innovate in many ways. For that alone, I want to see them succeed.  I've had my issues with them, but not with to the extent that I would want to see them fail.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    I agree AoC combat when it launched was great. I remember memorizing my combinations for my Dark Knight was that what the shadow knight like class called cannot remember now. The fatalities were so much fun. I also think Tortage was one of the most fun places I ever played. I still like that Royo fella and his dialogue even today.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

they should following other game companies and offer P2W stuff in cash shops ,just follow current trend  F2p games,

Or start KS ,crow founding  for new contents,early access cash grab ... they should to be tricky  and more corrupted on mmo's  market.Players love those trends and spend money on pixels , unfinished product,paying for testing ... etc ...

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Sadly I feel the reason they are not showing good numbers is because they are not screwing customers on the cash shop like most games.

Combine that with the fact there are so many lifetime accounts with TSW that never have to spend a dollar on anything not even expansions and you run into cash flow problems.

So basically as punishment for treating the customers well they suffer.

• 5ubzer05ubzer0 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Considering that they recently announced that TSW's game director is being moved to another project, the future for TSW doesn't look bright. It's a shame, really.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by 5ubzer0

Considering that they recently announced that TSW's game director is being moved to another project, the future for TSW doesn't look bright. It's a shame, really.

From what I've been able to glean he was moved because of his successes with AoC and TSW. And by glean I mean he said, "TSW has been going from strength to strength lately - all of the live games have - and my moving off is actually more of a consequence of that success."

I'm not going to say that TSW is doing amazingly or anything like that, but  I'm not willing to go all doom and gloom on it yet either.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If Funcom keeps bleedinig money, the ride will end sooner than later. Regardless of how much you might like their ideas/innovation etc., FunCom's days are numbered.
  • Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

Funcom went in the wrong direction

they made AO a pvp game still alive okey the number are great but that graphic is all and all i am surprise it survived

then they made a semi-pvp game it would be still going much better if they didnt turn it in a pve-grind game

then they made funcom totally pve game (with after though pvp) and is the one losing most money

they still don't get it... everybody can do pve they are good at it but not enough to make a player do the same quest 23536357645 times...

they got it with AO a game with pvp can last much longer but they wanted the big number so they went pve i guess but nowday u wont survive focusing only on PVE unless u have the strenght to pull out new content every month and they never had that  and if they think they did i would fire whoever made that assumption.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

I think it is great that Funcom is out there making niche MMORPGs.

I only wish TSW combat were less clunky.  I love the concept of the game, but every time I log in I am like "bleh" and have to log out again quickly.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    TSW is a fantastic game with a great build system and fantastic storytelling. Unfortunatley, it's just so stagnant. It really needs much better update support, especially when two major pillars of the game (combat and pvp) have needed work since launch.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

TSW has a wonderfully "Lovecraftian" atmosphere, a compelling story and beautiful graphics.  Unfortunately, we spend 90% of our time in modern games fighting NPC's and the combat system is meh at best.  Boring and unengaging at worst.  Even more disturbing is a recent interview with the lead developer who claims that combat feels just fine to him.  Look anywhere that people are discussing TSW, and most people have the same exact primary complaint about your game; the combat is terrible.

AoC is one of the best games ever crafted around an IP.  The combat is brutal, engaging, easy to learn and difficult to truly master.  Unfortunately, development for this game is glacial.  Many classes are in desperate need of balancing which will never come.  Updates that were promised years ago are still promised to this day.  

Worse, Funcom decided to add features such as the achievement system which no one asked for and isn't remotely necessary in a game that's seven years old.  We get remixed dungeons, tedious world bosses and useless fluff rather than class revamps, crafting updates and true Tier 5 raids.

If Funcom does understand what their player base wants, then they must not have the funds to implement those changes.  If Funcom does have the funds to implement those changes, then they must have no clue what their player base wants.

One of these statements is true. I'm just not sure which one because if they have the funds and understand what needs to be changed, then they are either incompetent or purposefully spiting the player base... which I can't bring myself to believe.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    There's not much I can do about Funcom's bottom line - but I absolutely love TSW, so I happily throw my money at the game whenever I can, buying clothing sets and whatnot.

• GurnleiGurnlei Member CommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL
    There's not much I can do about Funcom's bottom line - but I absolutely love TSW, so I happily throw my money at the game whenever I can, buying clothing sets and whatnot.

Same here. I love AO and TSW. Play them both (TSW more than AO) and at least a subscriptions worth every month in the cash shop on top of my GM.

Will play TSW until it closes down most likely. The RP Cabal I'm in is the best I've been with across any game I've played, truly it makes the game better than anything else out there.

• 430005430005 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Gavaevodata
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL

Same here. I love AO and TSW. Play them both (TSW more than AO) and at least a subscriptions worth every month in the cash shop on top of my GM.

Will play TSW until it closes down most likely. The RP Cabal I'm in is the best I've been with across any game I've played, truly it makes the game better than anything else out there.

It's nice to show some dedication, but really, from a normal consumer point of view, why would someone pay for a subscription other then supporting the game? Is it worth the purchase?

I am quite aware of the fanbois that are present in the game and defending it tooth and nail, I am just posting realistic facts to bypass all the troll propaganda and get to the gritty.

Funcom's profit for 2014 is still going down and operating costs exceed the revenues. You say you will play TSW untill it closes down, which is pretty dark.

Does that mean you expect TSW wont be able to stand on its own feet only a few years after launch?

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

It's nice to show some dedication, but really, from a normal consumer point of view, why would someone pay for a subscription other then supporting the game? Is it worth the purchase?

Yes, it's worth the purchase. The subscription gives me monthly bonus items, game-store cash to buy the expansions and a discount on any purchases, and an XP booster item.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I always find my way back to TSW. Still my favorite MMO. I redid my Templar character to test the new stuff. I just can't get into other MMO games in the end for some reason. 
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Sad Really... To this day AoC is still one of the most beautifully crafted MMOs out there. the range of the zones, the innovation on the combat, the killing etc..

Heck even boobies :D

Sadly AoC was their pinnacle for me, but they suffer what a lot of companies do a bad release for me had they released AoC successfully it would be still one of the biggest games around, but sadly people come, people see then people go and never come back, for me it ruined Funcom and their rep and it was my reason as to why i didn't play TSW

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

Sad Really... To this day AoC is still one of the most beautifully crafted MMOs out there. the range of the zones, the innovation on the combat, the killing etc..

Heck even boobies :D

Sadly AoC was their pinnacle for me, but they suffer what a lot of companies do a bad release for me had they released AoC successfully it would be still one of the biggest games around, but sadly people come, people see then people go and never come back, for me it ruined Funcom and their rep and it was my reason as to why i didn't play TSW

I have never seen the expansions, but back then in the original game the zones where all square and not very large. Did they change that with the later zones?

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Sorry by range i mean the variation on the type of landscape, one minute your in a vast desert jump into next zone and its a lush forest style etc. :) not range as in size :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy