Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I think Star Citizen will be great

GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

Most AAA games are made by big companies with lots of constraints. They are forced to be bland carbon copies to make their money back. This game is different. There's not going to be any rushing the game out the door to please investors, or cutting features deemed to "risky" because it's all crowd funded. CR said he wasn't even expecting the crowd funding to break 10 million. It's essentially like giving an ambitious indie developer 100 million dollars to make a game and letting them do whatever they want with no constraints from investors or company management.

I mean reading more about this game it's sort of like as if someone who's never played MMO's before, and only had a general idea of what they where, and so had no preconceived notions as to how they should function got 100 million to make one. Like even beyond the whole sandboxyness, the fact that there are no skills, and the fact that it's completely first person with COD combat, but with an economic system as deep as EVE's, it completely turns so many genre tropes on their heads, and that's not even the start of it.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Gintoh
    Most AAA games are made by big companies with lots of constraints. They are forced to be bland carbon copies to make their money back. This game is different. There's not going to be any rushing the game out the door to please investors, or cutting features deemed to "risky" because it's all crowd funded. CR said he wasn't even expecting the crowd funding to break 10 million. It's essentially like giving an ambitious indie developer 100 million dollars to make a game and letting them do whatever they want with no constraints from investors or company management.

Which could end up just being a 200k SNES era game that they just walked out with 9.8 million dollars on

i dont see how your A+B=C adds up there lol.

I do like star citizen though. backed since a long while ago

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

I mean reading more about this game it's sort of like as if someone who's never played MMO's before, and only had a general idea of what they where, and so had no preconceived notions as to how they should function got 100 million to make one. Like even beyond the whole sandboxyness, the fact that there are no skills, and the fact that it's completely first person with COD combat, but with an economic system as deep as EVE's, it completely turns so many genre tropes on their heads, and that's not even the start of it.

That also means there is no accountability, they can burn cash and have nothing to show.  None of what you said means that the game will end up being good.  Last time CR was in charge of a company he ran out of money and was 18 months behind and had to sell it to Microsoft.

SC is not not much of a sandbox, player can not create much of anything, or have much effect on the universe in general.  I am also not sure were you got the idea that SC would have EVE's economic system, that is just wrong.  SC will not have a player run economy, it will have an influenced one, very different things.  There is also no crafting, while it is planed that you can own manufacturing facilities, there is no information on how much of it you have control of, there is no direct crafting.

SC is also not the first MMO not to have skills, there are many other games that also do not have skills.  Its also not completely first person there is a 3rd person camera.

SC does not turn any ganre's on their heads, in fact SC is not really do anything new in terms of gameplay.  What is new is that SC is trying to put many different types of game play into a single game, while making those gameplay feel seamless between them.    

Oh and on the whole rushing it out the door, well CR already gave that excuse for the release of AC.  

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-star-citizen-stage-demo/2300-6419567/

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

"... have nothing to show ..."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Here you find about 6 months worth of "nothing to show" in articles, video blogs, trailers, forum entries and download links for pre-feature complete Alpha code. Get a long vacation and start watching/reading.

On the SC economic system and its complexity

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13128-The-Star-Citizen-Economy

On all the rest ... (SC) "Life, the Universe and all the rest ... including fish"  ;-)

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Have fun

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    This is about as informative and useful as my thread, "Why I Think the Lord Cthulu is Rising Soon!"

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

Originally posted by Electro057
    This is about as informative and useful as my thread, "Why I Think the Lord Cthulu is Rising Soon!"

Did you follow the links and check out  some of the available information ?

In principle the OP posted a personal opinion. For others the mileage may vary.

Have fun

PS:

W.r.t. Cthulu ... we have the nuke ready ... that will drive him away for 10 min. Then he comes back ... radioactive ! ;-)

(ok ok, insider joke ...)

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Erillion

Here you find about 6 months worth of "nothing to show" in articles, video blogs, trailers, forum entries and download links for pre-feature complete Alpha code. Get a long vacation and start watching/reading.

Seemed pretty clear that he was being hypothetical not literal...

---

I liked the recent video although I do wonder how much variation they'll have in their sets by the time release rolls around.

All of the buildings / set pieces used in the video are ones we've been seeing for many months, they're just a bit more populated this time and I would have been more impressed if they showed a new landing zone or something. At least we know exactly what  the 'social module' is going to be.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by TheYear1500
    That also means there is no accountability, they can burn cash and have nothing to show.  None of what you said means that the game will end up being good.  Last time CR was in charge of a company he ran out of money and was 18 months behind and had to sell it to Microsoft. SC is not not much of a sandbox, player can not create much of anything, or have much effect on the universe in general.  I am also not sure were you got the idea that SC would have EVE's economic system, that is just wrong.  SC will not have a player run economy, it will have an influenced one, very different things.  There is also no crafting, while it is planed that you can own manufacturing facilities, there is no information on how much of it you have control of, there is no direct crafting. SC is also not the first MMO not to have skills, there are many other games that also do not have skills.  Its also not completely first person there is a 3rd person camera. SC does not turn any ganre's on their heads, in fact SC is not really do anything new in terms of gameplay.  What is new is that SC is trying to put many different types of game play into a single game, while making those gameplay feel seamless between them.     Oh and on the whole rushing it out the door, well CR already gave that excuse for the release of AC.  http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-star-citizen-stage-demo/2300-6419567/ 

Spot on.

The lack of critical thinking involved is stunning but I guess that is how hype is being build up.

• Karu403Karu403 Member Posts: 48

you are wasting your time trying to convert this small handful of haters. they just want to sit around looking at the anime boobies this site likes so much

Patience is a virtue ;-)

Have fun

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well, reports are out that Star Citizen will be a 100 GB download........ I hope you have a good connection.

http://www.hexus.net/news/pc/8158-star-citizen-client-download-expected-100gb/

Good grief - it is either bloated as sin or........

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

On the SC economic system and its complexity

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13128-The-Star-Citizen-Economy

On all the rest ... (SC) "Life, the Universe and all the rest ... including fish"  ;-)

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Have fun

Still jumping to the wrong conclusions I see, all in a desperate attempt to defend the game when it was not even being attacked.  

As another poster stated it was hypothetical not literal, simple reading comprehension should have cleared that up.  Thanks for the links, they very nicely back up my statements.   

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

OP, don't even try, the trolls are out in full force since the beginning of the campaign even before the first $ came in.

Roberts has made so many enemies, enviers and grudgers, no matter how great the game looks and plays, you're going to read the same type of comments and disinfo for the next 10 years.

You'll see crowdfunding haters, advertisers for inferior products trying to jump on the hype train, and many more ugly things.

It won't help though, SC is on the blockbuster train and will smash a few more records on its trail.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    SC, what's not to like? PVP, Hardware exclusive, Selling weapons (the ships) to fund itself aka P2W. It looks good but so does a corned beef and kraut sandwich. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Hi Doc,

there may be some vocal critics on the forums. But when i look at the overall numbers:

--> Star Citizen backers have  reached the 75  million dollar mark last week.

--> Number of Star Citizens was at 797.238 last week  and growing. (837.015 at the moment, due to the free trial)

--> Thats approx. 3000 new backers per day last week  and another 40.000 extra from the free trial this week.

I would say Star Citizen gains more and more supporters interested in following the progress of the project, no
    matter what some of the nay-sayers say on the forums.

So ... to all you new Star Citizens i say ... See you in the 'Verse !

Have fun

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I don't think the technology exists (more accurately, the technology is not readily available for the typical end user) to do everything in this game that they intend to do in the way they intend to do it.

It's too big, and too ambitious.

I hope they do succeed, for the sake of the genre and what they are trying to do/prove, but ya'll need to have more realistic expectations.

Originally posted by Stone_Fountain
    SC, what's not to like? PVP, Hardware exclusive, Selling weapons (the ships) to fund itself aka P2W. It looks good but so does a corned beef and kraut sandwich. 

Not just the ships, its actually selling weapons in its cash shop.  Oh and ingame currency.  

--> Number of Star Citizens was at 797.238 last week  and growing. (837.015 at the moment, due to the free trial)

--> Thats approx. 40.000 from the free trial this week.

Don't forget those numbers are only registered accounts, they don't necessarily mean a new backer. It counts forums accounts, free trial accounts etc.

There was also a lot of supposition on the forums over the last couple of weeks that org mates could only jump into owned character slots (extra accounts) and not NPC slots which saw current backers buying quite a few additional accounts.

Which is not meant to knock that there's a good amount of interest in the game.

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

That also means there is no accountability, they can burn cash and have nothing to show.  None of what you said means that the game will end up being good.  Last time CR was in charge of a company he ran out of money and was 18 months behind and had to sell it to Microsoft.

Well they've already showed a lot

SC is not not much of a sandbox, player can not create much of anything, or have much effect on the universe in general.  I am also not sure were you got the idea that SC would have EVE's economic system, that is just wrong.  SC will not have a player run economy, it will have an influenced one, very different things.  There is also no crafting, while it is planed that you can own manufacturing facilities, there is no information on how much of it you have control of, there is no direct crafting."

Just because it doesn't conform to yournarrow idea of what a sandbox is doesn't mean it's not a sandbox. That's exactly what I'm talking about, the game isn't hampered by excessive pre-conceptions as to how this or that "should be." Also I never said it had an economy like EVE, just that it has a deep economic system and an economic focus like EVE.

SC is also not the first MMO not to have skills, there are many other games that also do not have skills.  Its also not completely first person there is a 3rd person camera.

Like what MMO's? Don't say Planetside or something because that's not so much an MMORPG so much as an open world futuristic COD.

SC does not turn any ganre's on their heads, in fact SC is not really do anything new in terms of gameplay.  What is new is that SC is trying to put many different types of game play into a single game, while making those gameplay feel seamless between them.    

Oh and on the whole rushing it out the door, well CR already gave that excuse for the release of AC.  

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

--> Thats approx. 40.000 from the free trial this week.

Don't forget those numbers are only registered accounts, they don't necessarily mean a new backer. It counts forums accounts, free trial accounts etc.

There was also a lot of supposition on the forums over the last couple of weeks that org mates could only jump into owned character slots (extra accounts) and not NPC slots which saw current backers buying quite a few additional accounts.

Which is not meant to knock that there's a good amount of interest in the game.

It's probably more than 750,000, because if that where the case the average donation would be 100 dollars per person.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

This is how people set themselves up for disappointment. Years after years of the same tired post and people still haven't learned to simply let the game itself talk and not the developer's word.

The reality is before a game is release or shown in beta, almost any game has an infinite amount of potential. We don't know what will happen between now and release, we don't know if things will turn out the way the developer himself expects it will turn out, we don't know if the blow the budget and come up short. We don't know if the mechanics will work as well as we will have liked.

The point being, we don't know about anything significant to be able to declare a game great a year or 2 before it gets released. 

Not saying it is the same, but people were already declaring Everquest Next has the next best thing and one random day, Sony decided to sell the company to a venture capitalist and that venture capitalist gutted out the studio's talent.

It's probably more than 750,000, because if that where the case the average donation would be 100 dollars per person.

Then you would be surprised at how much people are spending on this game, ie in a recent survey of ~5000 backers 15% had spent between $1000 and $9999 so far - https://www.instant.ly/report/54a985dde4b0cea5d72c8c2a

Easy to see how the numbers are skewed.  Even at $1000 that's 5 years of $15 p/month, $10,000 is 55 years in subs and there are people that have spent more, much more - it's totally insane.

Edit: I wanted on the expand on the above, 15% of 5000 is 750 people, if they have spent $5000 each that's $3,750,000 which is equivalent to ~83,500 sales at the basic $45 package.

AKA 1%ers

SC is not not much of a sandbox, player can not create much of anything, or have much effect on the universe in general.  I am also not sure were you got the idea that SC would have EVE's economic system, that is just wrong.  SC will not have a player run economy, it will have an influenced one, very different things.  There is also no crafting, while it is planed that you can own manufacturing facilities, there is no information on how much of it you have control of, there is no direct crafting."

Just because it doesn't conform to yournarrow idea of what a sandbox is doesn't mean it's not a sandbox. That's exactly what I'm talking about, the game isn't hampered by excessive pre-conceptions as to how this or that "should be." Also I never said it had an economy like EVE, just that it has a deep economic system and an economic focus like EVE.

Like what MMO's? Don't say Planetside or something because that's not so much an MMORPG so much as an open world futuristic COD.

LOL who says I have a narrow view of what a sandbox is?  Just look at the definition of a sandbox and SC has very little of it.  Also you have yet to show that SC has a deep economy, when in fact it does not.  Nor is that economy a focus, I have no idea where you got that idea from.  You really need to look into the game a little better, its just not what you think it is.  

LOL who says I have a narrow view of what a sandbox is?  Just look at the definition of a sandbox and SC has very little of it.  Also you have yet to show that SC has a deep economy, when in fact it does not.  Nor is that economy a focus, I have no idea where you got that idea from.  You really need to look into the game a little better, its just not what you think it is.  

Is their some dictionary definition of Sandbox that says it needs to be exactly like EVE or SWG to be a sandbox? The economy is pretty much the focus, the majority of the missions and PVP are based around it. I mean I really can't think of anything that doesn't have to do with the economy in the game. You're either transporting or modifying goods, fighting over resources and economic nodes in  PVP, doing missions that are dynamically spawned by the economic nodes ( and how you handle those missions determines how the economy functions), or you're mining, or you're manufacturing your own products with the factory or mine that you own. Just because both players and AI do the things that normally just players would do in EVE doesn't mean it's not a sandbox.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Karu403

you are wasting your time trying to convert this small handful of haters. they just want to sit around looking at the anime boobies this site likes so much

lol

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Op ...

You realize this guy runs a business just like anyone else?He made several games in the past,all of which i would consider budget ware games,he is out to make a profit just like everyone else.

He is making a game that brings NOTHING new to the genre.You sit in a cockpit arguably no better than any other game doing the same thing and fire pew pew at targets.His game is built in space,the EASIEST setting to make a game,costs pennies to generate a space map/zone.

Economy???LMAO i have seen tons of really great economies,this guy has proven nothing yet and no EVE was not a great economy,a game over run by ISK sellers yes but not a great design.

SO far anything out of ship looks again budget and/or has already been done,looks to me like a copy of DUST an idea already realized by EVE/CCP.

No rush?I guess not he is making ALL of his  money on promises without having to deliver a game,of course he is not going to rush anything,he is going to SOAK as much money off selling ships as he can.IMO if he releases this product,one i believe will be far inferior to what people think.He will only lose his money train which is selling ships because MOST will realize they believed in fake promises.

I doubt anything matters in the end,outsiders will see an over rated game while the fanbois will see just as Eve players see,some great game that nobody else thinks is very good.

This guy with all that money and imo MORE than enough time ,has not shown us anything worth bragging about,nothing at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.