Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Layoffs at Cryptic

ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

The rumors about layoffs at PWE aren't rumors .... so far there is confirmation on Community Manager Smirk and Content Desiner Matt Miller getting let go from Cryptic and PWE.

Sad to see Matt Miller go as he was a real asset to STO and the company in general.  I'd have loved to have seen Al Rivera go instead of Matt Miller.

I wish them both best wishes and hope they find gainful employment soon.

Comments

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Valoreah

The rumors about layoffs at PWE aren't rumors .... so far there is confirmation on Community Manager Smirk and Content Desiner Matt Miller getting let go from Cryptic and PWE.

Sad to see Matt Miller go as he was a real asset to STO and the company in general.  I'd have loved to have seen Al Rivera go instead of Matt Miller.

While it does sadden me that people lose their abilities to provide for their families in a manner they enjoy. This does not come as shocking news. This appears to be the beginning of the wind down of this game. It is now 5 years old and the returns are probably diminishing quickly. Games in general states of decline tend to layoff staff or re-assign with no replacement, in order to save money. expect longer periods of between updates and patches , until there aren't anymore. If this game goes another 5 years I'll be seriously surprised. Currently, it stands as an impediment to other Star Wars based games.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Awesome.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

While it does sadden me that people lose their abilities to provide for their families in a manner they enjoy. This does not come as shocking news. This appears to be the beginning of the wind down of this game. It is now 5 years old and the returns are probably diminishing quickly. Games in general states of decline tend to layoff staff or re-assign with no replacement, in order to save money. expect longer periods of between updates and patches , until there aren't anymore. If this game goes another 5 years I'll be seriously surprised. Currently, it stands as an impediment to other Star Wars based games.

it is actually bigger , than it has ever been before (content wise), and some new game mechanics too

you should prolly have written "trek" instead of "wars"

lets see what the future brings

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

They've had a number of layoffs in the past, yet content seems to come out in a timely, competitive manner.  There can always be the straw that breaks the camel's back, though.

Up til' about a month ago, I used to play Neverwinter and STO fairly regularly.  While it seems that alot of people dumped Neverwinter due to the last Xpac, my reason for quitting was their changing Bags of Holding from bind to account to BoE.  I bought 4-5 bags either from the store and at auction with the idea that when I create a new character, I can move those bags to the new character and have plenty of storage; foregoing the annoying inventory juggle "mini-game" that tends to occur, otherwise.

If that wasn't possible, there was NO WAY I would have bought them at the absurd price they demanded for those bags.  And given that the move shows that they are willing to gimp storebought items(not even talking obsoletion by level cap, here; they deliberately took an item they sold for cash money and made it less powerful/useful), that's pretty much compelled me to wash my hands of Perfect World, altogether.

Though TBH, the RNG madness that the games have become has been gnawing at me for some time, now.  So yes indeedy, this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yea ,the RNG boxes are madness in STO, but i think, thats where they get most of their cash

i tried some, only got some crystals, didnt even bother to open all

they can sell me inventory, bank slots, character slots..anything useful, with a fixed value

RNG boxes ..no thanx

I said "awesome" before and I would like to add, if these guys get a new job within the industry, they at least learn what they did wrong by joining a company like Cryptic.
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 2

You know, with what I've seen coming into STO and out of Cryptic, the game is more active than it's been in quite a while. I've only played STO since March 2014, mind you, and it's not to where its been in that year, but they HAVE done things that have brought it back in the right direction and even then, they still were not hurting for players playing the game. And I follow Smirk on Twitter, and according to him...he left. And the Content Director? Not too sure about him but since he's been gone Trek has actually gotten pretty damned fun. Fighting Iconians? That seems to be something that people like, as they have come back. And the game has still been clinging onto enough people to make the game worthwhile, to the point that I say to the people that come online DAILY and trash Cryptic and the game, that they obviously don't REALLY feel that bad about it, otherwise they wouldn't log on to trash the game. And content wise, it's the best it's ever BEEN now.

Just had to throw my two cents in.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by ronanobrien

You know, with what I've seen coming into STO and out of Cryptic, the game is more active than it's been in quite a while. I've only played STO since March 2014, mind you, and it's not to where its been in that year, but they HAVE done things that have brought it back in the right direction and even then, they still were not hurting for players playing the game. And I follow Smirk on Twitter, and according to him...he left. And the Content Director? Not too sure about him but since he's been gone Trek has actually gotten pretty damned fun. Fighting Iconians? That seems to be something that people like, as they have come back. And the game has still been clinging onto enough people to make the game worthwhile, to the point that I say to the people that come online DAILY and trash Cryptic and the game, that they obviously don't REALLY feel that bad about it, otherwise they wouldn't log on to trash the game. And content wise, it's the best it's ever BEEN now.

Good to know that you felt such a strong need to post a glowing opinion of STO that you had to create a new account to do it ! image

• ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Good to know that you felt such a strong need to post a glowing opinion of STO that you had to create a new account to do it ! image

Oh, I didn't always. Would have actually preferred the Perpetual version of the game...but I still feel that since they HAVE dropped the game, and the devs that were let go were let go, what was developmentally holding the game back is no longer there. And to hate on Cryptic on a layoff post? Have you ever WORKED for them? I've not, but really, I don't get that. I get that you dislike their games, but what does that have to do with them being laidoff? The games they make are still quite active, and I don't think that they care that you dislike their games nor do I think that your disliking them caused them to get laid off...unless you were their number one contributor financially and your sudden leaving the game caused them to majorly lose enough money to influence two layoffs. Which I seriously doubt one person could potentially do, unless you buy thousands upon thousands of keys, R&D boxes, and other consumables like that, and not one-time purchases like ships.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    You know, with what I've seen coming into STO and out of Cryptic, the game is more active than it's been in quite a while. I've only played STO since March 2014, mind you, and it's not to where its been in that year, but they HAVE done things that have brought it back in the right direction and even then, they still were not hurting for players playing the game. And I follow Smirk on Twitter, and according to him...he left. And the Content Director? Not too sure about him but since he's been gone Trek has actually gotten pretty damned fun. Fighting Iconians? That seems to be something that people like, as they have come back. And the game has still been clinging onto enough people to make the game worthwhile, to the point that I say to the people that come online DAILY and trash Cryptic and the game, that they obviously don't REALLY feel that bad about it, otherwise they wouldn't log on to trash the game. And content wise, it's the best it's ever BEEN now. Just had to throw my two cents in.  

Oh, I didn't always. Would have actually preferred the Perpetual version of the game...but I still feel that since they HAVE dropped the game, and the devs that were let go were let go, what was developmentally holding the game back is no longer there. And to hate on Cryptic on a layoff post? Have you ever WORKED for them? I've not, but really, I don't get that. I get that you dislike their games, but what does that have to do with them being laidoff? The games they make are still quite active, and I don't think that they care that you dislike their games nor do I think that your disliking them caused them to get laid off...unless you were their number one contributor financially and your sudden leaving the game caused them to majorly lose enough money to influence two layoffs. Which I seriously doubt one person could potentially do, unless you buy thousands upon thousands of keys, R&D boxes, and other consumables like that, and not one-time purchases like ships.

Well, I'm glad you're happy playing a nickle diming "game". That "game"has almost nothing to do with Star Trek at all.

I wish you the best of luck opening lockboxes with keys you have to grind or pay for. I also hope more Cryptic personel are fired in the future and I will celebrate with a cold one when they do. Thanks for your glowing evaluation of the "game".