Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If interested in TESO for consoles, should I wait to get the game when that release, or should I get

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

If interested in TESO for consoles, should I wait to get the game when that release, or should I get the PC version till then?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    The pc version can be obtained much more cheaply than the console version at present.  When the pc version is rebranded as tamriel unlimited it will probably cost the same as console version.  The console version is not released until june 17.  I don't think you can transfer from pc to console.  If you are set on playing the console version ultimately you will only get about 3 months worth from purchasing the pc version.  The pc version will be b2p from march 17.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

If you want the console version i would say just wait for it and save some cash. 

I am waiting for the console version but i already own the PC digital game so i will not pay full price for it again. Ill trade in some older console games at the store or just wait for a discount. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by mystik13
    The pc version can be obtained much more cheaply than the console version at present.  When the pc version is rebranded as tamriel unlimited it will probably cost the same as console version.  The console version is not released until june 17.  I don't think you can transfer from pc to console.  If you are set on playing the console version ultimately you will only get about 3 months worth from purchasing the pc version.  The pc version will be b2p from march 17.

You can transfer from pc to console if you bought the game before some point. I cant remember the date they said... Someone will have to post that info.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Console versions will cost money monthly for PSN or Xbox Gold and have gimped low population cyrodil. I don't see why anyone with a PC would want to play the console versions.
  • jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Sketch....what makes you say they will cost monthly on console? I'm pretty sure you're making that up in your head. Yes you have to pay for xbox live or psn, but if you have a console these days you're already doing that.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I was in the same boat and decided to buy it for PC the other day. I like playing everything with controller and I've seen that ESO has a nice addon for that purpose, so I said why not.

Truth is, addon is good, but it's not as good as the official support was in Skyrim, so I kind of lost interest in the game after a couple of days.

My point is, if the controller is the deal breaker for you (as it was for me), you should better wait. Otherwise, go ahead and buy it for PC. With good PC, graphics and framerate, as well as community should be superior to console versions.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

If you buy the PC version now you wont be able to transfer your characters to the console version.  As of now PC players who registered an account before 6/30/ 2014 ( I think ) can transfer over to console for a small fee.

They may end up changing that as many players are asking for the ability to transfer.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

If you are interested in playing on console then I would wait until it comes out on console.

This is not a port from PC to console. TESO was due to launch on console a few weeks after it came out on PC. A release that was pulled. They have said they have totally redesigned the interface and, with no players on console, they will have had more freedom to make other changes "under the hood" so to speak. So - maybe - it might run better.  

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by jdnewell

If you buy the PC version now you wont be able to transfer your characters to the console version.  As of now PC players who registered an account before 6/30/ 2014 ( I think ) can transfer over to console for a small fee.

They may end up changing that as many players are asking for the ability to transfer.

Yeah the $20 transfer is only for those who purchased the PC game by June 20, 2014.

At this point,  just wait for the console version to be released if you haven't begun playing on PC already.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    If you waited this long, I'd probably just wait for the console release in another few months.
    Originally posted by jerkbeast
    Sketch....what makes you say they will cost monthly on console? I'm pretty sure you're making that up in your head. Yes you have to pay for xbox live or psn, but if you have a console these days you're already doing that.

"Console versions will cost money monthly for PSN or Xbox Gold" is what I wrote. PC is free, if you ever stop your console subscription you can't play ESO. 

Learn to read before you post.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Sketch420

"Console versions will cost money monthly for PSN or Xbox Gold" is what I wrote. PC is free, if you ever stop your console subscription you can't play ESO. 

Funny it says no subscription required on the Bethesda site:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/joinus

Internet costs money too... if you stop paying for it, you can't play the PC version either?  Your point?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Console versions will cost money monthly for PSN or Xbox Gold and have gimped low population cyrodil. I don't see why anyone with a PC would want to play the console versions.

Where did they say cyrodil will have gimped population?

Originally posted by Pepeq

Internet costs money too... if you stop paying for it, you can't play the PC version either?  Your point?

Right, and that would apply to both versions.

The point being the console versions have an extra subscription needed to play.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

And the main reason for them dropping the subscription was they didn't want the console owners to pay for a sub and network fee. This was a good marketing move. Skyrim console sales where 80% compared to the PC sales 14% ESO could be huge on the consoles as there are hardly any mmo's on consoles.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

One thing I think Sony and Microsoft need to do is allow is cross platform to each others consoles. As it stands ESO has two lots of servers for the consoles.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

So in other words, in order to play ESO on a PS4, you will have to pay an internet access fee and a Playstation access fee on top of the actual game price.  And this would come as a shock to console users because this has never been the case before.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Are they buying a console just to play ESO? No? The fact is if they own a console they are ALREADY paying for PSN and LIVE for the games they already have. Over half of PS4 owners subscribe to PSN for example. You are trying to make it sound like the fee is just for ESO and it isnt.. Or maybe you just dont know much about consoles. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Are they buying a console just to play ESO? No? The fact is if they own a console they are ALREADY paying for PSN and LIVE for the games they already have. Over half of PS4 owners subscribe to PSN for example. You are trying to make it sound like the fee is just for ESO and it isnt.. Or maybe you just dont know much about consoles. 

The appropriate phrase here I believe is "making a mountain out of a mole hill".

Wouldn't be the first time however; Destiny for example got the same comments from some people / reviews (e.g. mmorpg.com). The good news however is that this didn't stop Destiny selling - when last reported - over 16M copies on consoles.

Now there was no sub for PS3 and unlike Destiny TESO is only available on PS4 and XB1 but what Destiny clearly demonstrates is that the console fee alone will not put buyers off. Zenimax will have to "sell" the game however; put last years sub-par launch behind them - and either fix the outstanding issues or demonstrate that they will be absent on the console servers. Console reviewers will know what to look for.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

You are obviously a console hater Sketch. 

XBox Gold for the 360 is 60 bucks a year or 5 bucks a month.   For that I get access to Netflix, Youtube, downloadable game content, etc. etc. .... basically everything I want. 

So why would I stop paying this?

While we are at it, why don't  we add in the costs of constantly upgrading our PC, if you want to do this nickel and dime nitpicking.

Just another console hater thats gonna hate.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• StoprunningStoprunning Member CommonPosts: 9

I'd probably stick with the PC version, since you don't have to pay an extra 10 dollars for PSN or Xbox Live . If you can play on either system, at will, then it would be worth it. But, I guess you can play one or the other.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Console online sub is yearly, not monthly. I play a lot of games with PS+ so that does not affect me. And i highly doubt a console player will only buy a new console to play ESO, in which case i would agree with you that on PC was better without the yearly sub. I personally am switching from PC to PS4, mainly because of the native (and obvious) controller use. Xpadder doesnt cut it for me on PC and i dont enjoy that game specifically with a mouse and kb set up.

I guess it will just be preference, but i still cant believe why ZoS didnt follow Square Enix with the PC and console cross server. If Microsoft doesnt want to be part of it then ZoS could have worked with SONY just like Square did. ZoS is lame sometimes.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

first you get a ps4 then you get bloodborne,i only have ESO for the the time till bb releases.

get a console cause all the souls games are going to be ps exclusive!

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Probably because the console is GUARANTEED to play the game at playable frame rates with at least decent graphics settings.  That is typically not the case for a lot of PCs, especially among the casual player base who do not build or customize PCs specifically for gaming.

I'm actually thinking about going over to console gaming for that reason, given more and more MMORPG-type games are releasing for them.  In the long term, it's a much, much cheaper solution.  A $350 console every 4-5 years is a lot cheaper than a new $1000+ PC every 2-3 years.