Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Utherous: First Look: Utherous

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Snowpelt
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

You might want to take a look at Age Of Wulin as well, it has some very original features.

Anything in particular in Age of Wulin? I don't have any experience with it but would love to know what you found intriguing about it.

The skill system, the offline system, the crafting system, the kidnapping system, the list goes on.  

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/28/age-of-wushu-is-probably-the-greatest-sandbox-youll-never-play/

http://feature.mmosite.com/age_of_wushu/feature.shtml

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

You had me at stress mechanic and making use of taverns for relief.

RPG immersion overload.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by haplo602

my usual stupid question: Native Linux support ?

It should run native on Linux, we are aiming for a unified server for all platforms as well.

Where's the queue for testers ? :-))

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Velqor
    Another mmorpg using Unity asset store models? Awkward

Nothing wrong with using a few of the good models on the unity store, as long as you do your own stuff as well.

Originally posted by remyburke
    Open world PvP? Ugg....why do devs keep doing this?

Because we needa good open world PVP game.. lots of people want this type of game.. sure its not for everyone but there are many PVE focused games already out there no need to add more to that pile.

Sounds pretty good will keep an eye on this one.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What is the big deal about that?

If you were to sub-contract graphic designers that would be different?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Ikisis
    If it had more of a Darkfall 1.0 combat system, Rather then that i don't even know what that was combat system, Id play for sure with that feature list and Full Loot PvP.

Our actual combat system is still early in development. I am not familiar with Darkfall 1.0.  Care to elaborate?

I guess the quickest way to describe Darkfall combat is to say its like Quake but with swords and spells. Basically fast pased fps style combat and it was good fun.

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Sounds interesting, huge worlds that foster exploration make me giddy however the one caveat to this article is )or if it is I missed it) is if it is open world PvP or is the game PvE centric?

Open World PvP is a huge component in the game but it will have many PvE aspects as well. Still working on the day to day balance, but we understand not everyone wants to PvP all the time.

Make the game you want to make if its good people will play its as simple as that.. if you try to cater for everyone it will end up a boring mess.

Stick to your vision.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Doesn't matter how well the name fits. It's awkward to say unless you're an elf from LotR and people will pronounce it very similar to uterus. Everyone's first thought will be uterus. So stop shooting yourself in the foot and get it done before it's too late.

As it is now you might as well name it Vaghina or Thesticle, which would probably be better actually from a publicity point of view.

This will literally be every first word-of-mouth conversation ever:

John: "Hey, have you heard of Utherous?"

John's friend: "Uterus???"

Every forum thread ever:

Topic: "Check out this cool game in development: Utherous"

And yeah, you already mentioned google :D

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Always something more to give a try. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• MnotMnot Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Open world PvP & FPS = Major Turnoff. GL with your game :)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Mothanos

There are so many carebear mmo's  on the market and they all flopped after launch, some faster then others but who wants to fight monsters all day when you can play Skyrim...or ESO...

Look at Eve Online one of the most succesfull sandbox mmo's ever created.

Its still going strong today.

I hope one day we get to play an mmo with such depth in a fantasy setting like Eve Online.

Everything destructible, world pvp, zone domination,  building castles and towns, defending sov, attacking or raiding neighbours, become a real pirate or outlaw, after seeing how Archeage did everything wrong what could go wrong i realy lost hope something like Eve Online in a fantasy setting will not be created in my lifetime :(

We are looking at EVE for a lot of our inspiration.  

Eve is not a Sandbox.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Nitth

What is the big deal about that?

If you were to sub-contract graphic designers that would be different?

Lol, agree! 

"So guys, let's put our heads together and really come up with something new and fresh for this client! They want an Orc. Any ideas? Tom!" 

"Ummmm, we could always render the Orcs from our last game a different color?"

"And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is why we pay Tom the big bucks! Do it!"

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SnowpeltSnowpelt UtherousMember UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
    Eve is not a Sandbox.

I didn't realize this was such a debated topic.  Was super interesting reading both sides of the argument.  Thanks for the lunch time reading lead!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Whoever the leader of this project is....they should have insisted this story not be released until they had a decent web site.
  • KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70

Why are so many indie MMORPG developers trying to "do it all". They aim so high with so little polish. It feels backwards. Open world PVP is a turnoff for me as well.

Might want to change the name of the game and the game world to something that does not remind us of the female genitals.

-Kirrik

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
    Originally posted by Mothanos

There are so many carebear mmo's  on the market and they all flopped after launch, some faster then others but who wants to fight monsters all day when you can play Skyrim...or ESO...

Look at Eve Online one of the most succesfull sandbox mmo's ever created.

Its still going strong today.

I hope one day we get to play an mmo with such depth in a fantasy setting like Eve Online.

Everything destructible, world pvp, zone domination,  building castles and towns, defending sov, attacking or raiding neighbours, become a real pirate or outlaw, after seeing how Archeage did everything wrong what could go wrong i realy lost hope something like Eve Online in a fantasy setting will not be created in my lifetime :(

We are looking at EVE for a lot of our inspiration.  

Eve is not a Sandbox.

You can't make such an absurd statement without at least some kind of attempt to backup your comment.  So I guess that leaves you with the label forum troll.

As to Utherous, not enamored with the name, but I wish the developers luck.  Maybe one of these days one of these indie developers will strike gold.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Sounds very interesting. Sounds almost like they are making the game, because of the fun of making the game, and not for the money that they can make. That makes them stand out in the current industry and the love for the game itself just might be enough to make this a success.

Absolutely.

This one and Project Gorgon (unfortunate name) are on my shortlist of titles I'm interested in..

• Magician2905Magician2905 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Snowpelt - great to see someone from the dev/publisher side so engaged!!!! Good work!!

As a great baseline for gameplay you should seriously look at Asheron's Call, https://www.asheronscall.com/en

That had a amazing mix of open world pvp, dynamic (Open World) events and interesting Raid mechanics. They also didn't totally fubar the open world pvp.

I have fond memories of logging in to find that certain types of mobs had gone rampant and taken over the world and towns and one off events where 100 foot tall mobs would spawn at towns all over the world, killing them would drop items that could be used to open small instanced dungeons - a great way to handle dynamic events and keep things fresh!

Whilst the graphics are old hat, even with the updates, the game is still ongoing after over 10 years.

Another good mmorpg that you should look at would be Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (sadly it was released before it was ready due to pressure by SoE) but it played well and had some nice features, specifically crafting was very deep.

Some sort of collaborative crafting system would be awesome;

For example 2 ppl are able to interact in one crafting window so that they can pay, an agreed sum, and introduce rare/unique mats to the crafting process to get a better item.

I would see it something like https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1DWFQgNIgL_JvtE_2ir_arfnAriqsQVHea_tvvkm3Ndo/edit?usp=sharing

I have to say that, imho, Darkfall is a very niche mmo and, for me at least, if Utherous follows the direction of the same it would be a big disappointment...... (1st person mmo just isn't an mmo....... not until we get decent FOV at least - maybe with VR and 100+, 120+ ideally FoV)

But "To each, their own" as they say.

• Magician2905Magician2905 Member UncommonPosts: 22

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Is this a MMO?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Whoever the leader of this project is....they should have insisted this story not be released until they had a decent web site.

We are actively working on the website every day. If there are specific things you think we should improve I would actually love to hear them.  It's hard to believe but it looks A LOT better than it did pre-PAX, but I know it's a work in progress.

Originally posted by Magician2905

Snowpelt - great to see someone from the dev/publisher side so engaged!!!! Good work!!

Magician, 

Thanks! We are so early it's hard of us to show stuff,  the least I can do is try to be engaged with people willing to take a look!

We have looked at Asheron   and several of the team members have experience playing it. While we are not going exactlyt hat route there are likely to be many aspects that harken back to the things it did well.

Man.. I remember being SO excited for Vanguard.  That wolf race.. by far the best thing I had seen in an MMO to date at that point.  I still want it!  I personally don't have any experience with the crafting system but I will take a look at it. Sounds like it could be interesting for our larger crafting ideas.

As far as Darkfall goes, like I said above, our combat system is still in early stages and we are looking for input.  I checked out the video's of darkfall combat and I can see why it's appealing to people, but we have not decided which direction we are going yet.  The best way to ensure it reflects a system you want, is to get involved and tell us what you want!

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Is this a MMO?

It is an MMO!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by timtrack

Doesn't matter how well the name fits. It's awkward to say unless you're an elf from LotR and people will pronounce it very similar to uterus. Everyone's first thought will be uterus. So stop shooting yourself in the foot and get it done before it's too late.

As it is now you might as well name it Vaghina or Thesticle, which would probably be better actually from a publicity point of view.

This will literally be every first word-of-mouth conversation ever:

John: "Hey, have you heard of Utherous?"

John's friend: "Uterus???"

Every forum thread ever:

Topic: "Check out this cool game in development: Utherous"

And yeah, you already mentioned google :D

This exactly.

I am a gen X and have read many Arthurian novels from TH White to Stephen R Lawheads Pendragon Cycle etc etc and I knew Utherous was a reference to Uther Pendragon but still the power of the uterus trumps Uther..lol

I imagine the new generation will not really know who Uther is and care even less.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.