Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of scammers in Stickied thread here

Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I got scammed in the "Post your buddy invites" thread here. Supposedly if you use one of their keys, you get money to help you get started in game. Well, I used a buddy key, and the guy will not honor it. So just beware. It's not going to stop me from playing Eve, i'm having fun, but just wanted to get this out there. 

Inb4 all the flames and calling me noob for getting scammed and that it's part of the game. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I'm confused about the scam part.  Somebody gave you a buddy key that allowed you to play the game and you got in and your playing but you didn't get the "free" gold that's supposed to go along with your free buddy key?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Out-of-game scamming sucks. Not that it helps you now but in the future or for anyone thinking of using buddy invites - only do so via the official thread on the EVE forums. Scamming via the recruit process is not something CCP look kindly on.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9874

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Have you already subscribed on this buddy trial account?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by goboygo
    I'm confused about the scam part.  Somebody gave you a buddy key that allowed you to play the game and you got in and your playing but you didn't get the "free" gold that's supposed to go along with your free buddy key?

The buddy keys give you a three week trial. If the person who was using the trial pays real money (i.e. not plex) to activate thier account, the person who provided them the key gets a plex. Usually this is split between the two players, I give the newbies two thirds at least, cause they're paying the money, lot of times people will go halvsies or be cunts about it.

I'm alright with scamming in EVE, because 90% of the scams require the marks to be thinking that they're taking advantage of someone else and 9% are easily avoided if you're not stupid.

Howfucking ever, preying on new players is bullshit. I want more people playing, I want people to stick with the game, I don't want new players to be made to feel stupid and develop only poor associations iwth the game before they can get sucked into it.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by sketocafe

The buddy keys give you a three week trial. If the person who was using the trial pays real money (i.e. not plex) to activate thier account, the person who provided them the key gets a plex. Usually this is split between the two players, I give the newbies two thirds at least, cause they're paying the money, lot of times people will go halvsies or be cunts about it.

I'm alright with scamming in EVE, because 90% of the scams require the marks to be thinking that they're taking advantage of someone else and 9% are easily avoided if you're not stupid.

Howfucking ever, preying on new players is bullshit. I want more people playing, I want people to stick with the game, I don't want new players to be made to feel stupid and develop only poor associations iwth the game before they can get sucked into it.

Good explanation on that. I'm in the same boat with wanting more people to play. Years ago I tried Eve Online, You would see more than twice as many online. Anyways, I played a bit, but never got too much into it. I wanted to try again, so first place I looked was the thread at the top. I know getting scammed is part of the game, but getting scammed into playing is different. I was anticipating getting a little money to help get started.

You know, it is what it is. I just wanted to post a warning. I'm having fun, that was just a bump in the road. 

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Yeah I did. 

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

Is it just me that finds this comment hilarious?

The whole game is based around preying on new players. The game is full of new player traps and scams, they are 90% of the game. The rest are big alliances jerking each other off.

• New players get scammed on the Market.
    • New players get killed in high sec.
    • New players get bumped in belts.
    • New players get blown up in belts or forced to pay protection money.
    • New players get blown up in low sec systems that are part of missions because scum camps the stations 24/7.
    • New players get hunted everywhere because they have less skills and equipment.
    This game is all about screwing up someone else's day and the easiest targets are new players.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Yeah I did. 

Ah, well, people on the internet lie.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Bascola

The whole game is based around preying on new players. The game is full of new player traps and scams, they are 90% of the game. The rest are big alliances jerking each other off.

• New players get blown up in low sec systems that are part of missions because scum camps the stations 24/7.
    • New players get hunted everywhere because they have less skills and equipment.
    This game is all about screwing up someone else's day and the easiest targets are new players.

So the game is designed to keep the population low.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Bullshit. The game is about dumpstering trash players who think they're good because they and their 10 friends can kill new players. All of those things can be avoided if you learn how to play the game. I take care around newbs, not noobs who insist on staying stupid.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

If it is, they're failing at it given the game has a good 500k subs.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Omali

I thought the increase was from the Chinese server Serenity opening.  And that the game hit that number about two years ago.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

I got scammed in the "Post your buddy invites" thread here. Supposedly if you use one of their keys, you get money to help you get started in game. Well, I used a buddy key, and the guy will not honor it. So just beware. It's not going to stop me from playing Eve, i'm having fun, but just wanted to get this out there. 

Inb4 all the flames and calling me noob for getting scammed and that it's part of the game. 

It would help if you name the person who scammed you - as far as i remember several people there offered buddy invites.

BTW you don't need any money from them to play EVE ... do the tutorials and the Sisters of EVE new player story arc and you have PLENTY of stuff to start with.

Have fun

• HarkynHarkyn Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Omali

Not trying to start an argument here, because I don't know much about it... but...

Isn't it true that most of the active players have at least 2 accounts?

I'm a gamer and I play games, not virtual vending machines.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    OP, how much ISK were you promised to subscribe?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

It's not really a big deal, you are getting an extended trial already. You should not accept those before at least talking to the other guy in game.  This kind of deal is very difficult to regulate as you can imagine. 

However if you have any questions or need any tips on how to earn such ISK in game, feel free to hit me up. 

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Out-of-game scamming sucks. Not that it helps you now but in the future or for anyone thinking of using buddy invites - only do so via the official thread on the EVE forums. Scamming via the recruit process is not something CCP look kindly on.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9874

I cannot stress this enough for new players or players looking to join. Never ever use a buddy key you get from anywhere but the official forums. 

CCP takes this kind of stuff very serious.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by shukolade

I cannot stress this enough for new players or players looking to join. Never ever use a buddy key you get from anywhere but the official forums. 

CCP takes this kind of stuff very serious.

Yep, if the guy sending you money was a known botter trying to hide ISK gained illegally, you risk getting your account banned when CCP catches him  .... collateral damage in your case !

Have fun

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You cannot be scammed for something you never owned in the first place.

You were lied, ok. No scam going on around tho.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

If you were sent a trail under an arrangement where you would be given isk once you subscribed to the game and the arrangement has not been honoured and you can prove it then make a ticket to ccp with all the details.

And if you can prove they didn't not honour the arrangement then ccp will take action they do have rules about scamming people when joining the game which they do up hold.

But first did you upgrade with a valid way for them to receive the plex in the first place.