Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed Beta Impression

PhertiasPhertias Member UncommonPosts: 51

Ive been playing quite some time now and I thought I would give a review of what the game is like:

Combat - Perfectly awesome, very fluid and compared to all other games, you never look at your actionbar, you look at the combat, which I believe is a big plus

Zones - Everything is instanced, but actually fairly few are full with invisible walls. Most stuff is in the air, covered by rocks/water/thick wooden areas and such. If you dislike instanced content, you should not play this. THIS game is the definition of a themepark. I myself dont mind for now, because no games have an open world anyway. Everything is zoned today

Environment - Very nice fantasy/sci-fy environment with great graphics and I still have 60 FPS in most zones. Thats very good for a beta

Difficulty - Very very easy for now. I think the learning curve is waaaay to slow, boss mechanics are simple. They get harder, but I would like it to be more difficult

Classes - Unique classes in both playstyle, animations and rotations. I think the classes are some of the best designed in history.

What this game is? This is probably the best F2P, instanced, combat-focused game there is. Its Vindictus 2.0. This is not so much an MMORPG, but a 3rd person Action RPG. I think its great for what it is and I think if you can play this alongside an open worlded MMO, then this would work great. For me, its TSW. TSW + Skyforge = Best of both worlds. I know 

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Phertias

Ive been playing quite some time now and I thought I would give a review of what the game is like:

Combat - Perfectly awesome, very fluid and compared to all other games, you never look at your actionbar, you look at the combat, which I believe is a big plus

Zones - Everything is instanced, but actually fairly few are full with invisible walls. Most stuff is in the air, covered by rocks/water/thick wooden areas and such. If you dislike instanced content, you should not play this. THIS game is the definition of a themepark. I myself dont mind for now, because no games have an open world anyway. Everything is zoned today

Environment - Very nice fantasy/sci-fy environment with great graphics and I still have 60 FPS in most zones. Thats very good for a beta

Difficulty - Very very easy for now. I think the learning curve is waaaay to slow, boss mechanics are simple. They get harder, but I would like it to be more difficult

Classes - Unique classes in both playstyle, animations and rotations. I think the classes are some of the best designed in history.

What this game is? This is probably the best F2P, instanced, combat-focused game there is. Its Vindictus 2.0. This is not so much an MMORPG, but a 3rd person Action RPG. I think its great for what it is and I think if you can play this alongside an open worlded MMO, then this would work great. For me, its TSW. TSW + Skyforge = Best of both worlds. I know 

Wow.... just wow

I have to concur on DMKano here.

Personal opinion, it's better than the other current instanced brawlers out there (Vindictus and Dragon's Nest, mainly), but it falls very short overall. The setting is a non-immersive mess, if an attractive one. The classes don't appear to be very special, and there really aren't enough of them to really make the hot-swap ascension atlas system worthwhile. Combat is held back by poor targeting and too much self-rooting. It simply doesn't have any legs to stand on other than its combat.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

What I like about the game, very nice world graphics. Spell and combat animations graphics are done well, some are the best I've seen. Best feature hands down, you can change classes anytime out of combat. Get bored with a run as a gunner switch it up, bang you're a paladin. Non trinity combat model. Rooted spells what? everything's done on the move with the exception of the channeled and combo stuff. Combat's fluid feels more like GW2 like most people said in beta. 5 classes available in beta are unique and pretty cool so far. Nice simple gear system. Cosmetic on the fly. Shared group mob and loot. 

What I don't care for, no swimming so far. The class talent model is really cool but looking at the sparks you have to collect to progress looks like a hell of a grind. No levels but seems the same flavor to me. Invisible walls and static mobs peeve of mine. So far what I find a real negative is the stories a little kid corney and voice overs are just ok. It's closed beta I'm sure many changes before launch. it's a fun ftp game I'm glad I early accessed and look forward to launch.

• PhertiasPhertias Member UncommonPosts: 51

Well to be fair, I have never seen DMKano being satisfied about anything besides old school games, and while we all love Vanguard, EQ and SWG, this is not the future of MMORPGs unless Brads little plan works out. Which I doubt it will.

Saying "Wow, just wow" just tells me your perception of perfect combat is not nearly close to mine. What is mine? Action phrased with a lot of possibilities in terms of spells and movement. If yours is standing still, then please do disagree with me ;)

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425

So...this is Unreal Tournament 2015?

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

After playing CBT, I can't hate this game more.

Instanced lobby solo game with mediocre graphics and utterly boring combat. Performance is also really bad. Can't call this an mmorpg in any way.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Come on, OP, its 2015.... games don't release (beta) with only pros.

Where are the cons?

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Skyforge is one of those MMORPGs that actually takes awhile to progress in the game and unlock features.

It is decent at start, nothing mindblowing but gets a lot better later on.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    It's an online ARPG. It's like Diablo in third person view instead of isometric (although I get that isometric is also technically 3rd person). Kinda like SMITE is to LoL, similar game, different viewing angle.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Originally posted by Aeander
    it falls very short overall.

This is a fair assessment of the game in it's current state.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

Ok after playing the first three days of beta, I made it to roughly 4k prestige on my zerker and 3.9k on my gunner class (so I spent the 70$ for the top tier founders pack) I think skyforge has potential still if they can fixes 5 things,

1. Prestige – alienates the games player base. Making playing with friend impossible.
    2. Reward system is trash, they have green quality follower items drop from the world but yet choose to make the white ones a mission completion reward. They should remove all Non-Spark rewards from completion rewards and make it so when you join a dungeon you actually receive the type of reward you entered it for.
    3. Make dungeons Dynamic, They are exactly the same every time. bosses have 1 ability (telegraph maybe) and its really boring. Using 4 symbols reduces the games challenge
    4. PVP - totally imbalanced since prestige is mest-up. (i recommend a gw2 spvp type system)
    5. Targeting is bad, remove lock on target and make some left and right click abilities not need a target period.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by Newnan

Ok after playing the first three days of beta, I made it to roughly 4k prestige on my zerker and 3.9k on my gunner class (so I spent the 70$ for the top tier founders pack) I think skyforge has potential still if they can fixes 5 things,

1. Prestige – alienates the games player base. Making playing with friend impossible.
    2. Reward system is trash, they have green quality follower items drop from the world but yet choose to make the white ones a mission completion reward. They should remove all Non-Spark rewards from completion and make it so when you join a dungeon you actually receive the type of reward you entered it for.
    3. Make dungeons Dynamic, They are exactly the same every time. bosses have 1 ability (telegraph maybe) and its really boring. Using 4 symbols reduces the games challenge
    4. PVP - totally imbalanced since prestige is mest-up. (i recommend a gw2 spvp type system)
    5. Targeting is bad, remove lock on target and make some left and right click abilities not need a target period.

1. Is solved with the Mentor system that isn't in the CBT1.

2. Yea some of the mission rewards are a bit meh.

3. Yes, much yes. When you repeat a dungeon in mmorpgs, they're supposed to get harder, not more tedious with more damage/hp. There's supposed to be new mechanics, new mobs, new abilities to deal with. This game has none of that.

4. Yea, i don't see how they can balance pvp since the matchmaking is tied to prestige which is tied to all the classes/rings/upgrades that character has ever progressed through. It's a real problem thats for sure.

5. lol yea idk what they were thinking when they designed the targeting system. They can keep lock on target, but just don't force people to have to use it by removing the requirement that some abilities require a target. This should be like Tera was where you had to aim for the most part.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Originally posted by Arazale
    Originally posted by Newnan

2. Reward system is trash, they have green quality follower items drop from the world but yet choose to make the white ones a mission completion reward. They should remove all Non-Spark rewards from completion and make it so when you join a dungeon you actually receive the type of reward you entered it for.

1. Is solved with the Mentor system that isn't in the CBT1.

2. Yea some of the mission rewards are a bit meh.

3. Yes, much yes. When you repeat a dungeon in mmorpgs, they're supposed to get harder, not more tedious with more damage/hp. There's supposed to be new mechanics, new mobs, new abilities to deal with. This game has none of that.

4. Yea, i don't see how they can balance pvp since the matchmaking is tied to prestige which is tied to all the classes/rings/upgrades that character has ever progressed through. It's a real problem thats for sure.

5. lol yea idk what they were thinking when they designed the targeting system. They can keep lock on target, but just don't force people to have to use it by removing the requirement that some abilities require a target. This should be like Tera was where you had to aim for the most part.

There is no "Mentor" system AFAIK, even in RU Skyforge.

Please elaborate.

• RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98

the game is like playing Destiny in 3rd person but with much less polish and much worse graphic.

instanced dungeons that players visit times and again to farm nodes/tokens etc (very grindy).

other times players sit in lobby/city area.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Well to be fair, I have never seen DMKano being satisfied about anything besides Trion games

Corrected you there, sir.