Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with virus. :$

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Hi, so apparently I got some sort of virus on my PC, randomly when I click on things websites will pop up saying I've won something, or I've got a virus, or something stupid. I've ran Malwarebytes scans, they caught a few things but never this one.

I also think it's slowing down my internet, when I'm playing games my internet will drop to 0.02 upload and stuff. Maybe I should just completely wipe my PC? :/ 

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Run a full scan with a real Antivirus program. One that is free and pretty good is Avast.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Malware bytes and a good antivirus program should do the trick. I would try that before a fresh OS install.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You just need a good cleaner.

I run YAC myself, works best for me and is easy to use but you might find that something else works better for you.

Edit: YAC is free, and so is a bunch of other good cleaners.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'm paranoid.

I use AVG, Avast, Malwarebytes, Threatfire.  I used to use Ad-Aware too.... but not really anymore.

AVG I have on all the time with Threatfire.  The other two I have as backups.  They tend to find each other as virus' based on their definition updates.  It's kind of funny.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    If you use more than one browser does it happens in any of them? Or just one. If just one then that browser has been compromised either without your knowledge or when you agreed to use an add on that you need to remove.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Thanks guys, I was looking through CCleaners options and found something: http://i.imgur.com/oicNt2O.png and it's still on my PC. I guess that could be it, after googling it, it's a virus lol.

@Grunty, good idea, I didn't try other browsers, it seems to only be on Google Chrome.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    spybot is a good one to
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Yeah, no matter what I do this thing always comes back, thankfully YAC blocks the websites it tries to link me to now.. lmao. It always happens when I go to sign out of Hotmail, it's weird.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Loke666
    You just need a good cleaner.I run YAC myself, works best for me and is easy to use but you might find that something else works better for you.Edit: YAC is free, and so is a bunch of other good cleaners.

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/yac.mx?utm_source=addon&utm_content=warn-viewsc

ayy lmao

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Make sure you are loading up in safe mode before you run your virus software.  A good virus can hide from most scans otherwise.  Sounds like you have a hijacker virus or some sort.  Does it also reset your homepage sometimes?  More than likely it is something hiding itself in your registry.

Anyway good luck, I know how annoying those things can be.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

ADWCleaner is pretty good at finding and removing adware.  Works well in conjunction with malwarebytes

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237
    ok, before using malware bytes, or, any other antivirus software, I use Ccleaner, I remove java script, and, Adobe Flash first from my computer, then do a full registry clean, takes 3-4 wipes to get all of the registry keys, then, I follow it up with antivirus scans. That way, if a trojan is hiding under the java script, or, adobe flash, mostly gauranteed getting them.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Baxslash
    ok, before using malware bytes, or, any other antivirus software, I use Ccleaner, I remove java script, and, Adobe Flash first from my computer, then do a full registry clean, takes 3-4 wipes to get all of the registry keys, then, I follow it up with antivirus scans. That way, if a trojan is hiding under the java script, or, adobe flash, mostly gauranteed getting them.

I wipe and reinstall if that's at all an option - typically takes about an hour, there's no trace of any virus/malware afterwards, and your back to a pristine installation.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I get virus' once in a blue moon. Personally, I prefer just wiping the system and making sure its gone. Viruses can mess with your system in ways you might not even notice and cause your software to perform funky. But this is only because I rarely ever get viruses and have everything backed up in several places including the cloud. If I got them more often, I would probably use restore points. I already have anti-virus programs, so those will probably fail if I do catch a virus.
  • gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

Check your browser settings, especially that it has not had a proxy server set up. This will usually stop it from working at all, or slow it down.

What browser do you use? In firefox, the proxy setting are in options->advanced->network

It should be set to auto detect settings!

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

I agree with the wipe.

Just in case you would like to hunt it down,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/

This site has some good tools for hunting down and killing problems.

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

I also agree with wiping. Format it, install drivers and then Avast Anti-Virus. Make sure you have the drivers for at least the network controller so that way when u are finished installing the O/S you can install the network driver and then download the rest of the hardware drivers afterwards.

I rarely get viruses but sometimes shit happens. Only surefire way to get rid of them is a format. You can run scans and whatnot but format for sure gets rid of it. The sucky part is reinstalling all the stuff you had before. Some games are like 15+ GB download.

Good luck.

• gridiron70gridiron70 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Formatting is the last option for me. Even with a backup, wiping and starting over is a pain in the a$$.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I always use this first then run a full scan http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller only takes a few seconds. I would stay away from free virus scanners always better to get a nice package where everything is protected. Personally I like Norton 360 but they are putting that into Internet Security this year. But they are all good as long as you get full version.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes you have run into the same problem i did.There is a wave of malware going under the names of Unideals and saverpro or something like that .

What these new malware are doing is very sneaky,and VERY tough to totally get rid of them.Sneaky in that they have embedded files that will rerun and make the same malware appear even after your antivirus says it deleted them.

For starters Malwarebytes is complete garbage,don't waste your time.

I use 3 sources ,hitman pro usually detects them all,however erases the obvious files but cannot find the embedded files that will rerun the malware right back again.Trojan Killer is really good at finding actual viruses but not very good at detecting malware,however i have not tested higher Heuristics yet.

My third goto and has always been my fave was Trend micro Housecall,a free online virus check that in full scan can take some time.However again it does not usually find the real tough malware files.However i once ran it in safe mode and detected everything.

BTW  you need to reset back to defaults and erase all browsing history and cookies on  ALL your browsers,not just the one you usually use,so Firefox or Chrome and Internet explorer.This may again not solve the  issue of the same malware files coming back .My ongoing problem was the files were in my IE files and all i was doing was cleaning up my Chrome .

If after all that you reboot and the same popups keep happening ,then just keep searching for a really good malware protection software that can also find the rootkits.

I word for the wiser,take your time installing new software,that is how you get most of the malware as free software often installs malware as a way to finance their free software.SO do not allow those programs to install anything other than what you wanted.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I use Acronis pc backup and recovery, just to make a copy of the drive on an external drive, then put it away.  When the original drive gets infected I copy the copy back to the original drive and done.  You don't even have to install Acronis just put it in the DVD tray restart and it will copy which ever one you tell it. 

To clean friends computers I use

1. CCleaner to clean out junk files,

2. SuperAntiSpyware to scan,

3. Malwarebytes to scan,

4. ComboFix

Microsoft Security essentials has picked up stuff that other antivirus scanners have missed.

Kaspersky Anti-virus online scanner is also good.

Love Nod32.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by k61977

Make sure you are loading up in safe mode before you run your virus software.  A good virus can hide from most scans otherwise.  Sounds like you have a hijacker virus or some sort.  Does it also reset your homepage sometimes?  More than likely it is something hiding itself in your registry.

Anyway good luck, I know how annoying those things can be.

Just do what k61977 said.

If this still doesn't work, get something like spybot that you can change in settings to  run at startup before all processes are loaded. That usually does the trick.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The only thing that really helped me remove big infections from my computer in the past (aside from just formatting) was a program called combofix.

The tricky part is that the program can also screw up your computer if you use it without knowledge. You should probably seek help and describe your problems on the forums mentioned at the end of this page. Most of the people there will tell you to turn MalwareBytes and CCleaner first, as well as other programs.

If you do decide to just run combofix by yourself, make sure not to mess with it when it's running. In fact, don't even touch your computer while it's running :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

There's a lot of posts here suggesting different products to use to scan for and remove this.

Unfortunately, there is no good answer.  No single scanner will pick up everything.  Virus scanners are designed to scan for viruses and only sometimes remove adware.  MalwareBytes was made in response to this and was designed to scan for and remove non-virus malware.

In the OP's case, they got a browser hijacker or extension.  Often, these include Windows uninstallers (in add/remove programs) that actually work, though sometimes they don't include it.  When they don't, a virus scanner often picks them up due to the ways they hide from the OS.  If neither of those work, scan with MalwareBytes, ADWCleaner, and HijackThis.  If that still doesn't work, the variant of the malware may be too new for the scanners to pick up.  Boot into safe mode and manually remove whatever files and registry entries it deposited.

A system restore should also work if you have it turned on.  If that fails, reinstalling Windows should be your last resort.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

Hi, so apparently I got some sort of virus on my PC, randomly when I click on things websites will pop up saying I've won something, or I've got a virus, or something stupid. I've ran Malwarebytes scans, they caught a few things but never this one.

I also think it's slowing down my internet, when I'm playing games my internet will drop to 0.02 upload and stuff. Maybe I should just completely wipe my PC? :/ 

You can try to the poorman's fix and do a system restore at a point before you clicked on the link.  It could fix your problem or it might not.  It is at least quick and easy.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"