Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Daily Quest: What Book Series Would Make a Great Game?

13»

Comments

• jebrickjebrick Member UncommonPosts: 1

Parasol Protectorate Series by Gail Carriger - Speampunk with werewolves and vampires.  Great setting and well done world.

another vote for Amber Chronicles although it would be impossible to do properly in a MMO

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I might get crap for it... But I don't care!

Dark Elf Trilogy or any of the Salvatore books regarding everyone's favorite Drow with the name we hate to see.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I do think the Earth Sea trilogy for an open ended MMO.

I also think that in honor of Terry Pratchett's untimely death - his Ring World series would be really fun. Playing Death? Come on that would be hysterical.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ragz45

As so many people have said, Wheel of time would make a great game.  I know a lot of people are fans of RA Salvatore (never enjoyed his book myself though).

But one much lesser known author who's books would make a decent game Patrick Rothfuss "Kingkiller Chronicle" serries.  It's dark, gritty, and not as "high" fantasy as others.   While still having magic and mystery in the world.

It was already made into a game and it was a major flop too.

They are trying it again on Kickstarter.....

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Shayyd80
    The Dark Tower series perhaps.  Clive Barker. Greg Bear' or Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy.

The Dark Tower series...interesting thought. In the hands of a good developer one would think this would have a ton of potential....and could be very open ended with multiple settings.  I wonder if Stephen King would be on board? 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I still think Tad Williams should let them turn Memory Sorrow And Thorn into an MMO. 

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

My faith in humanity has been restored. All these posts and not one Game of Thrones! Good job peeps. Who would want to play a game where as soon as you become important you are killed off permanently?

I am down with the Wheel of Time. Not so sure about Honor Harrington I love the series but not sure how that would translate into an MMO. 

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I think the world of Xanth has not been mentioned. Piers Anthony wrote more than a dozen books in that worlds setting and I think it would make an interesting game world.

However, a little less known is Piers Anthony Adept Series. The series features a future world where a game is the basic motivation of life for most people juxtaposed with a magic heavy fantasy world. Only the richest and most powerful can travel from world to world. It would make for a very interesting game setting in my opinion. 

Watership Down, the rabbit MMO would be the bomb.

And like several others I would love to see a modern Dragonlance game. The problem there, as others have pointed out, is that WOTC owns the IP rights and those won't be cheap.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

Dune, hands down.

Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

Warhammer 40k Horus Hersey setting.

edit- see a ton of wheel of time suggestions. Personally I thought this series was incredibly overrated and just thought it flat out sucked.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. The best fantasy series since Tolkien's LotR

WoT tried too hard to be a great literary piece, for the average reader it was too long and had obtuse words.  At least that was my opinion!  It was decent but for me The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore was and is my favorite fantasy book/s to date.  It had every thing and was pleasant to read.  With that being said we've already gotten several games made off that timeline D&D universe.  So for me I'd have to go with something off the wall, post apocalyptic.  My favorite genre today and I don't think you could go wrong if you made a game based on either The Postman or S.M. Sterling's Dies the Fire series.  2 of my favorite PA books to date!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Grimms Fairy Tales
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

I had the pleasure of meeting Robert Jordan when he was doing a book signing tour for Book 10 of the WoT. I would LOVE to see an open ended game about the Wheel of Time series. I always wanted to be an Aes Sedai. Started reading that series in 1989 :P

I also love the Green Rider Series by Kristen Britain. The strong female lead, and the world is fascinating to me. To be a messenger for the King would be fun!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by sgtalon

My faith in humanity has been restored. All these posts and not one Game of Thrones! Good job peeps. Who would want to play a game where as soon as you become important you are killed off permanently?

I am down with the Wheel of Time. Not so sure about Honor Harrington I love the series but not sure how that would translate into an MMO. 

GoT is IMO one of the worst written series ever.  It reads more like an account of History written by the evilest of men.  Something I don;t spend countless of hours doing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

One of the issues with translating books to MMO's is the roles characters take in books are different than what they can do in games.  For instance in a MMO a player is a hero, warrior, artist, merchant, etc. all wrapped into one where a book series like Dragon Riders of Pern for instance no one person could be all those things.  Main characters might change roles but a dragon rider for instance is to busy to also be a master craftsman both of which are to specialized to be master traders or land holders.  So unless a developer did something like force the player to specialize on one or maybe two things only it's hard to imagine how porting that world to a game would do anymore than present the trappings of the world without the substance.

And I really don't think a AAA mmo could be made to launch in this day in age where the developers forces the players to specialize.  Everyone wants to be able to do everything in a game and the push back against a game that didn't let them do that would be to much for any company to resist.  There is no room for the supporting characters that make many book series so enjoyable in a MMO only the main hero.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by udon

**Snip**

"Everyone wants to be able to do everything in a game "

The core of what is wrong with MMORPG's today.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by ragz45

As so many people have said, Wheel of time would make a great game.  I know a lot of people are fans of RA Salvatore (never enjoyed his book myself though).

But one much lesser known author who's books would make a decent game Patrick Rothfuss "Kingkiller Chronicle" serries.  It's dark, gritty, and not as "high" fantasy as others.   While still having magic and mystery in the world.

It was already made into a game and it was a major flop too.

They are trying it again on Kickstarter.....

err which one?  Salvatore, Jordan, or Rothfuss?  That aside, just because it was tried, and was a flop doesn't necessarily mean the IP was the issue.  The studio / implementation may have just been horrid.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

Sherlock Holmes.  Would most likely need to be a singleplayer RPG.

Grimm Brothers.  could probably work as an MMORPG,  each questhub being a new story.

North and South maybe ??  or Shogun ?