Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad performance?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Hey guys, I tried out ArcheAge yesterday, and actually found it pretty fun. However, having poor performance is not fun. During the whole start of the game I had a fine FPS, until when I got around level 9 and it started to show with crazy stuttering,  and low fps. My specs are:

Win 7 64

• NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti
  • AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
  • 8 GB RAM

Is my machine just too slow to even run this decent on low, or is the game engine just crap in general?

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    It's a crappy engine, period. And the gameguard that comes with the game also hurts fps. The client itself is pretty much as shitty as it can get. But what else can you expect from a korean game developer company? 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Make sure to use DX9 not 11 with older machines. Having said that, your character's level shouldn't have any impact at all. If you have issues like that the first thing to try is to reboot the game. It fixes lots of things.

I must admit I haven't played for a few days but I was getting a bit of lag after last weeks patch and I have a well specced machine. If the game has got a graphics problem at the moment, hopefully it will be fixed quickly. It's always run fine for me.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    I can run any game in DX11 without any issues except ArcheAge. Wouldn't my game run actually slower in DX9 mode, when my gfx card is designed for DX11?
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    No it wouldnt run slower. And archeage isnt true DX11. It is a modded DX 10.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    I can run any game in DX11 without any issues except ArcheAge. Wouldn't my game run actually slower in DX9 mode, when my gfx card is designed for DX11?

As i have written the client is a terribly bad one, it is not optimized for DX11. And also as others suggested you might have to tone down graphics properties a lot to get optimal fps. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

DX9 is likely all you will need to do to resolve your issue. The reason that you noticed it at level 9 I assume is simply due to time played and degrading performance. When playing in DX11 mode, some PC's will slowly degrade in performance. In addition, you may notice your textures starting to drop. For me personally the more I port, the faster it happens. If you have ever experienced a memory leak in a game, this will behave exactly the same.

Switching to DX9 will prevent all of this. If you still want to use DX11, you will just need to restart your client once performance drops. Another thing you can do to buy a bit more time in DX11 is to delete the AA shader cache under "DocumentsArcheAgeUSERshaders". Delete the DX9/DX11 directories and then start client.

• chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    DX11 in AA is simply broken and I have heard it only supports 1 feature, but someone take screanshots for me and point out what it is cause I can't see it. It certainly isn't worth the headache.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Just joining in on the DX9 bandwagon.  Also note that you might have to go out and get the DX9 distributable package because not all Windows 8.1 systems even have DX9 in them anymore.

Next thing I would think about is, of course, more ram or at least making sure that your ram is in the right slots and paired properly.  For whatever reason (most likely in order to make the upgrade seem like more of a performance increase) a lot of companies have been building machines with mismatched ram sticks in them lately.

6 gig machines feature a 4 and a 2 that DO NOT run in dual channel mode.  People will often upgrade the second stick to a mismatched 4 in order to get the 8 and STILL not be running in dual channel mode.

Archeage doesn't like this at all and will tell you so as soon as you go through a couple too many different areas or get into a couple too many crowded situations.  And since that game is all about going to a bunch of areas and getting into a bunch of crowded situations it is best to be running in the most optimal configuration to do so.

Remember, if the amount of your ram divided by the number of your sticks is not divisible by 2 or products of 2 (meaning 4, 8, 16, 32, etc...), if your banks aren't populated properly, meaning 1 and 3, 2 and 4 or all 4, or if your ram does not match, it is most likely that you are not running in dual channel mode.

Not saying that you don't already know all of this but its a good tip for the string.