Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar: Should You Come Back

2»

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I loved the gameplay, but after my friends and kids quit playing, I stopped along with them. If it went B2P I would be there in a heart beat, but for now, it isn't worth the subscription to me. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    thankfully i played the beta and i never bought the average overprice game!
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Originally posted by SoloAnything
    The way I see it is Wildstar doesn't offer anything to justify the subscription fee. You can play Rift for example completely free to play and enjoy dailies and whatever Wildstar offers, or Aion.

I never understood the hangup on subscription fees.  $15 a month is inconsequential to an adult.  Cost or non cost, the reason not to return to, or even try Wildstar, is that it is just another wow repeat.  The gameplay is tired.  I don't play tired games regardless of price.  It is the game that matters.  If the game was brilliant and a breath of fresh air, the $15 would gladly be paid by all.  

You basically answered your opening statement.  If more MMOs being released these days were brilliant breaths of fresh air, of course people would pay to play them.  However, there really hasn't been an MMO worth the price of a sub for a long time.  Thus, the hangup on subscription fees which is causing arrogant dev studios and publishers to change from subs to f2p/b2p.  I think ESO was final lesson learned for potential new AAA MMOs in the future.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Don't care what they fixed or changed. Still was the worst game I have played. Those of you who like it...have fun.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Hows the optimization? I have a 3.9 hex core, EVGA 760 and 8 gbs of ram and loading into a main city was a freaking disaster not to mention random fps drops.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Originally posted by SoloAnything
    The way I see it is Wildstar doesn't offer anything to justify the subscription fee. You can play Rift for example completely free to play and enjoy dailies and whatever Wildstar offers, or Aion.

I never understood the hangup on subscription fees.  $15 a month is inconsequential to an adult.  Cost or non cost, the reason not to return to, or even try Wildstar, is that it is just another wow repeat.  The gameplay is tired.  I don't play tired games regardless of price.  It is the game that matters.  If the game was brilliant and a breath of fresh air, the $15 would gladly be paid by all.  

You basically answered your opening statement.  If more MMOs being released these days were brilliant breaths of fresh air, of course people would pay to play them.  However, there really hasn't been an MMO worth the price of a sub for a long time.  Thus, the hangup on subscription fees which is causing arrogant dev studios and publishers to change from subs to f2p/b2p.  I think ESO was final lesson learned for potential new AAA MMOs in the future.

Two problems with that.

1) Devs are not going to say "Oh no if ESO can't make it with a subscription model then the model is dead."  If anything devs will be asking themselves: why was FFXIV able to succeed with the subscription model and ESO was not?

2) There are no new AAA MMOs being made in the West because investors have finally realized no new MMO is going to achieve WoW numbers anytime soon.  When the best case scenario is 1 million subscribers rather than ten million suddenly investing that 300 million in the stock market rather than a new MMO looks a lot more appealing.

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Hows the optimization? I have a 3.9 hex core, EVGA 760 and 8 gbs of ram and loading into a main city was a freaking disaster not to mention random fps drops.

A friend and I have been playing and optimization seems much improved. I have a 3.2 hex core (extreme), although I also have a GTX980 and 24 gb of ram, so everything has been perfect for me. My friend's config is a bit closer to yours -- 3.4 hex core, 8 gb ram and a GTX570 -- and he has not complained of any fps drops, even in the capital.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Out of all the MMOs with "action" combat, this one is the best.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I try to play wildstar for pass 2 weeks, it was making it harder and harder to stay with the game so pass few days I stop playing, is not bad game I think I have my hands in other stuff to keep me playing the game, but I know one can just get a creed or 2 and pay there months off, but finding the time to farm gold, make it harder to let the game sink in and keep paying for it when feel like getting more rewards in a other game.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think what hurts this game is they made a huge, interesting open world, and then made a bunch of instanced content. It makes the world feel empty because everyone is off in a dungeon or raid or house or warplot or arena or space mission or challenge. Which is unfortunate because I thought the open world was really well done.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think what hurts this game is they made a huge, interesting open world, and then made a bunch of instanced content. It makes the world feel empty because everyone is off in a dungeon or raid or house or warplot or arena or space mission or challenge. Which is unfortunate because I thought the open world was really well done.

Interesting.  I thought the open world was kind of boring, and had tons of pointless quests littering the landscape like so much garbage.  I did enjoy the BG arenas though.

I thought the character design was really top notch, that the game was responsive, and that it had interesting combat.  When I compare it to SMITE, though, I can't really justify a subscription fee. 

I basically played both as arena games, and SMITE comes ahead due to being free and being "fair".  At least when I was playing, the Wildstar devs seemed to want the pvp to be the opposite of fair.

Wildstar did have many fun customization options though.  If they changed it over to B2P or F2P, I would come back and buy a few skins to help support them while playing arena.  I just can't justify a subscription, however.