Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 month recurring, Membership valid until 2015-03-18

skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

I resubscribed and my 1 months is almost up....I have to figure out what  I want to do.

On one hand I had some fun this time back. On the other hand, the game is a major time sink. I waste a lot of time trying to get stuff done, I am really worried about wasting money as well as my time.

I was thinking I could do 12 month subscription and it would be $7.95 per month, but is it worth it if i only play 3 or 4 months out of that year?

The game is pretty dead 70% of the day, I am not sure if I even want to play 1 more month and the 14.99 price to resub another month is making it harder to decide.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
Warframe:Skuly1775

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Wether it is worth your time and money is an easy answer:

Do you have fun? Yes? Sub! No? Don't!

Worth 15 bucks? Well what other hobbys do you have that work for 15 bucks? Serious question. there may be some... i am personally not lucky enough to like or enjoy free stuff. So my other hobbys run at around 100-250 bucks a month. (noone is even talking about the prices in those communities, it is just a given and people enjoy their hobby)

Bottomline: If you have fun, don't save on the wrong end. There are easy ways to spend 15 bucks way faster with way less fun.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    That isn't a question you can ask other people, only a question you can ask yourself. If it's a timesink that you actually enjoy then I would say yeah go ahead and do it. But if it's something you don't think you will end up actually playing, then why waste money. 
  • skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    That isn't a question you can ask other people, only a question you can ask yourself. If it's a timesink that you actually enjoy then I would say yeah go ahead and do it. But if it's something you don't think you will end up actually playing, then why waste money. 

I'm not really asking others to decide for me, It's something I have to decide. I want to voice my opinion that Anarchy Online/Funcom should lower their subscription price.

Maybe if it was 9.99 they would make more money. Maybe people on the fence would have a reason to resub or to sub multiple accounts.

Anarchy Online is a great game, but it takes a lot of time and effort. And if the game is unplayable 70% of the day/week and I only have a small window of time to login and get teams for stuff, it's really hard to justify paying.

I'm finding it hard to justify the 14.99, especially when there are so many free to play and buy to play games out there. Games I can walk away from or take small-large breaks from and not feel bad about it.

I really want to play AO but can't afford to be paying 14.99 on the monthly basis when I spend so much time not having fun and I don't want to take the leap of faith and pay $95 for a year.

I might just spend that 14.99 on H1Z1 or something.

These days I need a game that I can login and get things done...LIke if it's 12:30am or 12:30pm and I feel like I want to do something specific in a game.. I need to be able to just login and get it done. With AO it seems like I need to look at the clock and the calendar to see if it's even worth logging in.

Maybe if we could have subscription for weekends only at a low price it would be worth it, because the only time the game is really active is on the weekends.

Originally posted by Rattenmann

Wether it is worth your time and money is an easy answer:

Do you have fun? Yes? Sub! No? Don't!

Worth 15 bucks? Well what other hobbys do you have that work for 15 bucks? Serious question. there may be some... i am personally not lucky enough to like or enjoy free stuff. So my other hobbys run at around 100-250 bucks a month. (noone is even talking about the prices in those communities, it is just a given and people enjoy their hobby)

Bottomline: If you have fun, don't save on the wrong end. There are easy ways to spend 15 bucks way faster with way less fun.

Well videogames and MMORPG's in general take a lot of time and time is a commodity, it's a very valuable commodity. Considering we only has so many hours/days/years in our lives, so $15 is a lot for mmorpg's that require me to throw so much time into them.  And then to have the game feel empty during the week just makes it worse.

If a game could give you a massive jolt of "fun" that lasted days without playing, so you hardly needed to play.. that game would be worth $100 or more a month.

But I think thats the problem with mmorpg's and games in general. It's like that awesome song/joke/movie... the more you listen/watch it.. the less awesome it get's. Some people can enjoy things forever or damn near, I envy them.

Anarchy Online is so Old and I played it for 5+ years... very hardcore.. Anarchy was the only game I ever played more then 10 hours.. I played Anarchy Online for 48 hours once back in 2005, I can't even stay awake 48 hours anymore.

When I say I can't afford to pay, thats not literal, I mean I can't justify it and it hurts my psyche.. so that $15 = my psyche.

My messed up brain can't afford to spend $15 then hate myself for doing it 30 days later when I reflect back on all the hours I spent trying to get a group or killing dyna bosses for days without ever getting any good loot. 

You guys made it easier for me to decide (I had a good month of AO but it wasn't good enough), plus I was watching H1Z1 videos after posting this and figured I could just spend the money on that game instead of AO. 

Nothing i could suggest then i think.

I don't understand people that argue like you do,... there are so many of you that i don't want to say "you are wrong!" tho. It is perfectly fine and up to you to limit yourself like that.

To make it clear: The game has so much content that you need time and actually need to play it to progress. That spells VALUE to me and obviously something negative for you. The game does not offer instant gratification, which spells HELL YES for me and again something negative for you. It takes time to get things done, which spells MORE TIME OF FUN FOR MY MONEY for me and again something negative for you.

From what you are writing you should not invest any money in games at all, but find a new hobby. Smartphone games usually offer FTP access with easy instant gratifications all over the place. It is easy and fast to "get things done".

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by skuly
    Originally posted by Panther2103

I'm not really asking others to decide for me, It's something I have to decide. I want to voice my opinion that Anarchy Online/Funcom should lower their subscription price.

Maybe if it was 9.99 they would make more money. Maybe people on the fence would have a reason to resub or to sub multiple accounts.

Anarchy Online is a great game, but it takes a lot of time and effort. And if the game is unplayable 70% of the day/week and I only have a small window of time to login and get teams for stuff, it's really hard to justify paying.

I'm finding it hard to justify the 14.99, especially when there are so many free to play and buy to play games out there. Games I can walk away from or take small-large breaks from and not feel bad about it.

I really want to play AO but can't afford to be paying 14.99 on the monthly basis when I spend so much time not having fun and I don't want to take the leap of faith and pay $95 for a year.

I might just spend that 14.99 on H1Z1 or something.

These days I need a game that I can login and get things done...LIke if it's 12:30am or 12:30pm and I feel like I want to do something specific in a game.. I need to be able to just login and get it done. With AO it seems like I need to look at the clock and the calendar to see if it's even worth logging in.

Maybe if we could have subscription for weekends only at a low price it would be worth it, because the only time the game is really active is on the weekends.

Your problem isnt with the price. Your problem is with the style of game it is. You want instant gratification of an mmo and AO is old school in that you have to earn it. Its not a mamby pamby mmo like todays mmos are, Your decision should be if your willing to stick with earning your fun or having it handed to you on a platter.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Your problem isnt with the price. Your problem is with the style of game it is. You want instant gratification of an mmo and AO is old school in that you have to earn it. Its not a mamby pamby mmo like todays mmos are, Your decision should be if your willing to stick with earning your fun or having it handed to you on a platter.

Anyone who has played AO for 12 years obviously doesn't want things handed to them and is used to grind.

I can't believe you said that. lol

Anyway, what I said was..I need to be able to login and have fun.. other wise whats the point of loggin in?

If the world is empty monday-thursday, 70% of the day.....I'm logging in and spending hours waiting or trying to get a team or whatever.

I spend more time qued for Battle station then actually doing it. And 4 out of 10 times I get into battle station and it's broken. .i have to logout to leave, then I reque and have to wait again.

If I feel like I want to do some inferno missions and I login, spend 1 hour on LFT while spaming OOC's that i'm looking for team. Then get a team and spend another 10 minutes waiting for the team to be filled.. then 3 more minutes for the roller to roll the mission....run to the cave/ergo and enter the mission.... spend 1-3 minutes where people buff up and get ready... its not uncommon for someone to take a few minutes to get to the mission.

So then it starts and lets say about 20-40 minutes later you got to the end of the mission and got the reward..... often times 1-3 people leave and you have to replace them which could require more waiting around.

But the funny thing is it can take an hour and a half to even start the mission that takes 30 minutes to complete.

And I have done so many Inferno Missions over the Years, all the brown in there puts me to sleep or gives me a headache as soon as i enter.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Do this simple test.  Don't resub.  If you aren't itching to log back in again within 5 days, you have your answer.  Sub when you feel like playing, don't sub just because it's convenient.
  • DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by skuly

Anyone who has played AO for 12 years obviously doesn't want things handed to them and is used to grind.

I can't believe you said that. lol

Anyway, what I said was..I need to be able to login and have fun.. other wise whats the point of loggin in?

If the world is empty monday-thursday, 70% of the day.....I'm logging in and spending hours waiting or trying to get a team or whatever.

I spend more time qued for Battle station then actually doing it. And 4 out of 10 times I get into battle station and it's broken. .i have to logout to leave, then I reque and have to wait again.

If I feel like I want to do some inferno missions and I login, spend 1 hour on LFT while spaming OOC's that i'm looking for team. Then get a team and spend another 10 minutes waiting for the team to be filled.. then 3 more minutes for the roller to roll the mission....run to the cave/ergo and enter the mission.... spend 1-3 minutes where people buff up and get ready... its not uncommon for someone to take a few minutes to get to the mission.

So then it starts and lets say about 20-40 minutes later you got to the end of the mission and got the reward..... often times 1-3 people leave and you have to replace them which could require more waiting around.

But the funny thing is it can take an hour and a half to even start the mission that takes 30 minutes to complete.

And I have done so many Inferno Missions over the Years, all the brown in there puts me to sleep or gives me a headache as soon as i enter.

You cant believe? Are we supposed to know you have played the game for 12 years? Your posts read as I want gratification now, you know, like the wow generation. Im pretty sure you already answered your own question though. If you spend more time searching for group then actually playing then no you arent getting the enjoyment you want and you should unsubscribe, It wouldnt matter if the price is $15 or $10 or even $5 a month, if your here complaining about it, its not worth it.

You cant believe? Are we supposed to know you have played the game for 12 years? Your posts read as I want gratification now, you know, like the wow generation. Im pretty sure you already answered your own question though. If you spend more time searching for group then actually playing then no you arent getting the enjoyment you want and you should unsubscribe, It wouldnt matter if the price is $15 or $10 or even $5 a month, if your here complaining about it, its not worth it.

Exactly this.

Your posts sound like you want a piece of candy everytime you log in. If you only have fun if you get candy, i can hardly believe you played AO for 12 years. No game of the past offered candy on a daily or even weekly basis. No matter how many people where around.

You got candy every now and then, and got your fun out of PLAYING the game.  If a game is not fun to PLAY, why do you play it?

If you start to notice that FUN translates to "GIVE CANDY NOW!" for you, you have fallen victim to the wow generation. So better get used to playing a game for 1-3 months tops and moving on. Games giving out candy on a daily or faster interval seldom if ever have any long term fun in them. Unless they are WoW and have a company behind that can patch in that "fun" on a monthly basis.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

all i have to say is, i just wasted 18 bucks on food i will dump in the toiled before going to bed. I would have paid 16 on a month of FFXIV instead, but oh well.....

Think about it, i doubt 1 year sub is worth it on a game you said you dont think you even want to play that long. If you like the game then pay one more month and see if you want to keep going. If you decided you dont want to keep subscribing at that price, then there goes a one night meal down the toilet. No big deal. Paying a whole year in advanced just to save a few bucks is not worth on any game. Unless you like to pay for lifetime subs and never pay ever again and still receive all the content they make.

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I don't think you should play it even if it was free ... It seems to be causing you too much frustration and that is not worth your time.
  • deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Its a crime that they are still charging for this game what they are... Someone at Fun com should be shot. I will never pay for a monthly on this game in its current state. Still upset that they didn't take more time sooner to fix the issues with this game, because at its core its awesome. 

Originally posted by Rattenmann

Exactly this.

Your posts sound like you want a piece of candy everytime you log in. If you only have fun if you get candy, i can hardly believe you played AO for 12 years. No game of the past offered candy on a daily or even weekly basis. No matter how many people where around.

You got candy every now and then, and got your fun out of PLAYING the game.  If a game is not fun to PLAY, why do you play it?

If you start to notice that FUN translates to "GIVE CANDY NOW!" for you, you have fallen victim to the wow generation. So better get used to playing a game for 1-3 months tops and moving on. Games giving out candy on a daily or faster interval seldom if ever have any long term fun in them. Unless they are WoW and have a company behind that can patch in that "fun" on a monthly basis.

If (candy == semi-enjoyment and not (boredom and frustration and loneliness) then

I_Want_Candy = true;

end

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

The game was awesome back in the day. I guess the "sub-worthy" part depends on the current state of the game. AO being a group MMO.

How is the population now? Are there people still leveling in Ely and Ado or is there another way to level except grinding hecklers? Are there still groups running missions / Tiun /  whatever at high level? How are the guilds? If you need Pen glasses, Inf boots or hh@b, can you get them by doing the quest (enough people for those quest lines), or people just trade old ones?  Are the raid bots still running, are people still running zods, beast, AI content, Tarasque? Without being able to run these things often and (hopefully) other new things which were deployed in the last years, the game will not shine.

Originally posted by simmihi

The game was awesome back in the day. I guess the "sub-worthy" part depends on the current state of the game. AO being a group MMO.

How is the population now? Are there people still leveling in Ely and Ado or is there another way to level except grinding hecklers? Are there still groups running missions / Tiun /  whatever at high level? How are the guilds? If you need Pen glasses, Inf boots or hh@b, can you get them by doing the quest (enough people for those quest lines), or people just trade old ones?  Are the raid bots still running, are people still running zods, beast, AI content, Tarasque? Without being able to run these things often and (hopefully) other new things which were deployed in the last years, the game will not shine.

Q: Are there people still leveling in Ely and Ado or is there another way to level except grinding hecklers? 

A: Ely is pretty empty, other then the kite teams there probably aren't too many teams, maybe on weekends though.

Q: Are there still groups running missions / Tiun /  whatever at high level? 

A: during the week and depending on the time during of the day during the week.. it can be hard or time consuming to find a group for any level content.

Q: How are the guilds?

A: A lot of the old orgs that where very active are dead and some have people on during peak times.

Q: If you need Pen glasses, Inf boots or hh@b, can you get them by doing the quest (enough people for those quest lines), or people just trade old ones? 

A: Inf boots and hh@b prices are really high.... inf boots used to be like 20-30m and are like 60m now it seems.

Superior Perennium Blaster (soldier Assault Rifle) sells for 80-95m and thats insane...I spent like 8 hours over the course of a few days killing ado golems and pen tiigs trying to get the double barrel to make my own. 

Q: Are the raid bots still running, are people still running zods, beast, AI content, Tarasque? Without being able to run these things often and (hopefully) other new things which were deployed in the last years, the game will not shine.

A: there is a bot called Dnet, its like a global bot for posting pvm,pvp,shopping,raid and whatever else...I've seen messages about raids and stuff sometimes but I assume people are used to just logging in during specific times to do raids or something.

I assume people are used to or don't have a problem only playing the game or doing specific content during peak times.