Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Justice system needs work.

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

You know how in mmo's when you go to a City or Town. You could be shopping or just hanging out and some high lvl player would throw out some buffs to everyone. It happens in every mmo i've ever played. They are just being friendly and hanging out. Warning..Don't do this in ESO now that the justice system is in place. A high lvl player was doing this with health buffs and hots. Then somebody decided to start killing npc's. With each kill the buffer got a bounty on his head and it kept growing. It finally cost him 17k in gold to pay it off. This justice system needs to be reworked badly. You have dead bodies all over the place now. I always thought that this would be something lame.

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Hariken

You know how in mmo's when you go to a City or Town. You could be shopping or just hanging out and some high lvl player would throw out some buffs to everyone. It happens in every mmo i've ever played. They are just being friendly and hanging out. Warning..Don't do this in ESO now that the justice system is in place. A high lvl player was doing this with health buffs and hots. Then somebody decided to start killing npc's. With each kill the buffer got a bounty on his head and it kept growing. It finally cost him 17k in gold to pay it off. This justice system needs to be reworked badly. You have dead bodies all over the place now. I always thought that this would be something lame.

This is... very bad if true.  Thanks for the warning.

Buffing people and helping them out is a main focus for me in games.  I suppose I can understand if I get a bounty for healing someone as they perform crimes, but if I buffed them before it, I don't think that should be applicable.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If you buff a bad guy, you should get a penalty.  Don't support bad guys.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Are you truly and seriously trying to say that these people that stand outside the banks (or in them), spamming buffs and other crap are trying to help? Cause they aren't. They are trying to be annoying like every other game.

Besides, isn't there a toggle for killing affecting NPCs? Yes...there is. I don't see how, if the option to not harm NPCs is turn on (or is it off?), how it would do anything...but that's just me. I may not know cause I don't spam annoying crap in town like some do.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Are you truly and seriously trying to say that these people that stand outside the banks (or in them), spamming buffs and other crap are trying to help? Cause they aren't. They are trying to be annoying like every other game.

Besides, isn't there a toggle for killing affecting NPCs? Yes...there is. I don't see how, if the option to not harm NPCs is turn on (or is it off?), how it would do anything...but that's just me. I may not know cause I don't spam annoying crap in town like some do.

Huh?  There are games where higher lvl player buffs are critical.  You apparently have never played any of them.  It definitely sounds like they need to take buffing off the list for aggro or faction hits.  I'm sure they will figure out a solution.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Huh?  There are games where higher lvl player buffs are critical.  You apparently have never played any of them.  It definitely sounds like they need to take buffing off the list for aggro or faction hits.  I'm sure they will figure out a solution.

Not talking about "games"...talking about ESO and the justice system. Where an NPC can be attacked and murdered. You have the option to turn it off in the setting so as not to "accidentally" hurt or kill an NPC and become wanted by the guards.

Now reread what I said....there are ppl that do the usual spamming of their abilities in crowded areas cause they think is funny to annoy others. This one mentioned in the OP affected an NPC and got a bounty from the city guard. The OP is either not sure about the option, or telling a tall tale.

Like I said....unless I missed something...cause I have yet to see spamming of buff affect any NPC in any town/city.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yeah and this isn't one of them. There are no long term buffs you can give anyone in ESO.

So yeah, it's just people goofing around looking at their purty GFX who are doing this in town... and I seriously doubt the OP is true since that kind of bounty would take much longer to rack-up than the 30s or so of the longest duration other buff they could give.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Yeah and this isn't one of them. There are no long term buffs you can give anyone in ESO.

So yeah, it's just people goofing around looking at their purty GFX who are doing this in town... and I seriously doubt the OP is true since that kind of bounty would take much longer to rack-up than the 30s or so of the longest duration other buff they could give.

Thanks...thought I might have been goin crazy....more than usual :D

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

This is a little bit of a pointless thread as ( as others have mentioned) you can turn off the ability to accidentally hurt innocents in addition to there not being any buffs that lasts longer than hmm...let's say 30 seconds maybe?  

Its refreshing to play a game where idiots running around town throwing off dangerous spells or swinging swords randomly will be attacked like the crazy person they appear to be. 

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

This is... very bad if true.  Thanks for the warning.

Buffing people and helping them out is a main focus for me in games.  I suppose I can understand if I get a bounty for healing someone as they perform crimes, but if I buffed them before it, I don't think that should be applicable.

ANYTHING you do mindlessly should be punished. Whats the point of doing stuff if you do it without thinking. This is something that has been fostered in new age MMo's and I am glad its being punished. If you want to buff someone.. pick your target and consider what you are doing. Mindless actions should be costly.. in life and in games. Anyone crying about this is learning a valuable lesson.

Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Originally posted by Iselin

Aw damn it. I was hoping this was true as it sounds hilarious. However you could always log on to one of your characters and see if is true.

I value my gold too much to test it...even if it only costs me 30g :) There used to be one DK weapon buff that buffed anyone around you for 1 minute but the time on that one was nerfed and is only like 8s now. I can't think of anything that lasts longer than 30s now.

I know that if you put a HOT on someone and they attack a citizen or guard while the buff is on them, you also become a criminal. I did this once on the PTS before 1.6 made it to the live server. So that part of it is true. But my bounty was something like 60g, not 17K.

This is no different than games where you flag yourself for PVP if you heal or buff a flagged player. People get used to it in those games and don't flag themselves accidentally more than once...unless they're very special people :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

This is a little bit of a pointless thread as ( as others have mentioned) you can turn off the ability to accidentally hurt innocents in addition to there not being any buffs that lasts longer than hmm...let's say 30 seconds maybe?  

Its refreshing to play a game where idiots running around town throwing off dangerous spells or swinging swords randomly will be attacked like the crazy person they appear to be. 

You can't turn off buffing or healing other players by accident.  If you're doing a quest in town and get jumped by NPC's you may have to heal during the fight if criminals are near you they will get part of that heal, instant bounty while questing in town.  If a player wanted to grief you they can as a criminal run through your quest and pickup your heals, instant bounty.  There are a lot of quests in cites and some in buildings that aren't instanced.  Other players are around you when fighting a lot of the times.  This was brought up during testing and left as it is.

A new player who hasn't read about this in the forums will jump into the game and may get a big instant bounty. some have already posted about this.  The best thing to do would be to make it so healing or raising criminals from the dead can't be done in cities.  And what happens if a member of your group is a criminal while doing dungeons or group quests and you don't know it?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Whats with all the "turn off the option to hurt NPCs" responses? Nowhere in the post did he say the person buffing accidentally killed NPCs in the process of buffing people. He said that people he buffed went and killed NPCs which caused him to get a bounty too.

Basic reading skills are hard!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    First of all,i'm not the one that this happened to. There's a long thread about this on the ESO boards. And i guess he didn't know about the option to turn off being hostile to npc's. But even so no matter what the buff was he got punished because of it. He was not attacking any npc's.
    So that part is true...then I sit back and chuckle at the ppl that have to spam crap all the time and say they got what I wished for :P

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Whats with all the "turn off the option to hurt NPCs" responses? Nowhere in the post did he say the person buffing accidentally killed NPCs in the process of buffing people. He said that people he buffed went and killed NPCs which caused him to get a bounty too.

Yeah...you might want to try reading comprehension then.

I noticed he said buffs and didn't care which type. Healing players in most games, and now this one it seems is frowned upon. AS it should be. He didn't say the ones buffed "then went and killed". He said he gained bounty for every heal he was spamming.

I figured it would/should all count under the option to turn it off...is why I also kinda questioned my own knowledge.

Either way....I feel satisfied knowing that the spammers can get tangled up in the mix. Since all they are doing is spamming short term buffs to be annoying.

Easy enough for you?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I noticed he said buffs and didn't care which type. Healing players in most games, and now this one it seems is frowned upon. AS it should be. He didn't say the ones buffed "then went and killed". He said he gained bounty for every heal he was spamming.

I figured it would/should all count under the option to turn it off...is why I also kinda questioned my own knowledge.

Either way....I feel satisfied knowing that the spammers can get tangled up in the mix. Since all they are doing is spamming short term buffs to be annoying.

Easy enough for you?

Really....

"A high lvl player was doing this with health buffs and hots. Then somebody decided to start killing npc's. With each kill the buffer got a bounty on his head and it kept growing."

There it's even highlighted in red for you to make it easier to grasp.

Easy enough for you?

Really....

"A high lvl player was doing this with health buffs and hots. Then somebody decided to start killing npc's. With each kill the buffer got a bounty on his head and it kept growing."

There it's even highlighted in red for you to make it easier to grasp.

Yep...doofus was spamming needless buffs. Then another player starting killing NPCs. Doofus didn't stop spamming needlessly, and yet....never noticed a bounty placed on said doofus...let alone a rising bounty....but kept spamming needlessly.

Did I get it right?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

and i think the last one i played were that was required was DAoC.

in RvR you surely had an advantage with a full buff set from a buffbot.

but that, quite frankly, is a thing of the past. and most of those "buffers" are trolls and trying to annoy the shit out of the rest of the players.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

First of all,i'm not the one that this happened to. There's a long thread about this on the ESO boards. And i guess he didn't know about the option to turn off being hostile to npc's. But even so no matter what the buff was he got punished because of it. He was not attacking any npc's.

There was also someone who posted on the forums that he had 235 CPs... and then Gina checked and posted: "No you don't, you only have 70" :)

17K is not even the kind of lie that makes you think it might be true. Too exaggerated. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    The one great side effect of the Justice System has been the dramatic decrease in people spamming spells in cities. There are consequences to your actions now, Me Likes.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

Originally posted by DelCabon
    The one great side effect of the Justice System has been the dramatic decrease in people spamming spells in cities. There are consequences to your actions now, Me Likes.

Exactly my point. I get that the buff affects all now...so "some people" should stop responding....I'm just saying that we may now have peace. Maybe....

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

You only get the bounty if you kill the NPC or just attack the NPC ?  I'm asking this because the HoT is of a very short duration and unless you keep on spamming it in the vicinity of a player whom you can see clearly is engaging in killing NPCs and you continue to spam the HoT...aside from annoying people in towns has no benefit,you would have to be spamming it when the NPC dies . Why would you spam the HoT in this case ? Isn't is obvious that you are healing a criminal ?

Don't forget also the guards yell and say stuff so it is not like you are kept in the dark about whom you're healing.

You do something wrong you know is wrong and then you whine about it when it has consequences and he would have had to be quite close for the HoT to work. Rubbish complaint. This fellow was just spamming HoTs and Buffs to annoy people and he got a bounty ....I think that was a just punishment. Stop that annoying practice.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Im happy for the change no more running into the bank with 50 people spamming aoes.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3