Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Character creator idea.

jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255
I think it would be a really cool idea to be able to go somewhere like....gamestop for instance, and let's say they have a booth set up like a changing room, and you can go there, and have your body scanned (maybe in spandex or something....whatever it's just a general idea) and you could also have your face scanned. Whatever game you were being scanned for (nothing out yet) would allow you to upload this information, and render you in the game. You could have it updated when you want, but when you scan you get like a special verification icon that you did the scan option instead of making your guy the standard way. I think this could be useful especially for stuff in the future if VR catches on because mapping where someone gets hit would make more sense if it knows exact size and all that for mapping (assuming it advances to full suits vs current gen) Yeah...random stuff. Just think it would be a cool idea. Any thoughts? 

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Not possible. There's no way to automatically adjust animations and equipment of characters. That would need to be done by a human and would take too much time.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

An interesting idea.

Probably the closest thing to that that might be possible (it would still have a lot of issues needed to be worked out) is to do a base scan and then reference it to the character creator to try and find an approximate match. Still, it would make more sense to just release a character creator prior to launch, and let players save character files to be uploaded when they make their accounts (if desired), so people can jump right into the game and not feel like they are torn between making the character they want, and 'beating the rush' of new players.

- 3d Scanning tech has come a LONG way since its inception. However, what often goes unspoken is the amount of work done off-camera behind the scenes to clean up the mesh & make sure the model animates properly. It's not nearly as plug-n-play as many places will have you believe. As a result you can have issues with the animation rig (as previous posters have stated) not applying correctly to the model. In addition to that, however, you can also have problems w/ armor & weapons not fitting right (massive clipping problems, floating pieces, etc.), and there's also the problem of 'too much' information. There's a reason why most character creators that allow you to build old people don't model in most (if any) of the wrinkles. It's more efficient to just have a sprite / texture / bump than it is to actually model all those nooks & crannies.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

I do understand that the current tech isn't there. This is an idea, and not something that I'm saying is for current gen. Just something I find as an interesting idea. Now as far as the VR suit you may be correct about full detection, but that's only for size. It isn't for appearance. As for the person who says it's "impossible." How is it impossible? Have you come from the future with the knowledge of everything that will ever exist up until the point of our exodus as a species from existence? I mean if so I would rather you go somewhere else to spread you knowledge, because although I'm sure we appreciate it....there are probably more important things to spend your time on. 

Digging into the world anywhere you wanted in games didn't used to be doable, but now voxels exist. Maybe at some point (and I don't fully understand the tech, but I think they are static so maybe not) Computer hardware will be good enough to allow the creation of Character models with a voxel base system If not voxel maybe some other new tech. The point being that it's not "impossible." When I was a child the internet wasn't something that existed for consumers. A cell phone that is basically a computer was confined to Star Trek fantasy. 

I did see a video  but I have no idea if there is any truth to it because like I said I haven't researched it.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    And what about those of us that don't play humans in MMOs! 

Well....get your house cat scanned. :) (Or in that situation you could get a body/face scan, and then have a different skin texture for the race, and have yourself morphed with the non human race?)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Interesting idea. I bit like the body scanners in Caprica.

The only problem I see is that not everyone regards their characters as an extension of themselves into the VR space. Some people regard the character as being completely separate from themselves, that they merely direct its actions and that it is otherwise its own entity. These are the people that usually refer to their character as he or she rather than me. "Look, I have green hair." vs "Look, Thaniel has green hair."

I think this is an artifact of some coming to MMOs from table top RPG gaming and others from shooters and console gaming.

Simply put, not everyone wants the person in the game world to be themselves.

All die, so die well.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

They already exist.  Here's just one example.

http://www.twinkind.com/en/landing

Viking you are right....that's why I said there would be a special icon to see who chose to do this, and a normal character creator also. And loki.....I like the video, and it's cool the tech is getting there, but what are your thoughts on mmorpg application?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by jerkbeast
    Viking you are right....that's why I said there would be a special icon to see who chose to do this, and a normal character creator also. And loki.....I like the video, and it's cool the tech is getting there, but what are your thoughts on mmorpg application?

Depends on the type of MMORPG.

Today's MMO are so geared towards combat that most playing characters are covered with armor/helmets. So even though I might spend allot of time in character creations most likely I will be the only person actually seeing "me" while everyone else see's mostly this full armored dude.

Unless the MMORPG that might impliment this scan idea have lots social feature's making it more of a realistic (fantasy or sci-fi) world instead of just a game-world.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They could add your face and games already have sliders to manipulate the body style,that is really all you need.Other than your face the rest of your body is always covered in some armor so makes no sense to even attempt any further than jus t he face.

It is actually sort of easy to already do the face thing,the problem i guess is how to and having to load several million different faces for a zone.You see as your face is loaded for anyone else to see it in game,every single player would have to d/l your facial file and with a couple million players that is a rather large file base.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Starting from the top, MMO players don't tend to be 'athletes' nor do they tend to be candidates for catwalk modeling, and i've always thought that guys + spandex is a hugely bad idea for all sorts of reasons, so the idea of having in game characters based on images involving the actual players wearing such apparel, just, no.  image