Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Delta Recruitment In-Game Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment have announced a new in-game event for Star Trek Online called "Delta Recruitment" that has been building for the past five years. The Iconians are poised to invade the universe resulting in all races putting out a call for recruits to fight the threat.

The event is has some nice perks for new captains created during the event that include events, upgrade materials, gear, and individual and community goals.

Existing players will get a new character slot for a Delta Recruit with a progression perk that is account-wide to keep all characters on a player's account up to speed.

The Star Trek Online site has yet to be updated with further information about Delta Recruit, but we'll be sure to keep you posted when more is posted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    To bad STO has become P2W.  A shame really.  It was a great game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    One of games I would gladly play is STO but IF they rewrite graphic engine from scratch. Not even Lotro has such bad feeling when moving, jumping, fighting, .. just bad, really bad, even if both games would be 15 years old.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

I still play STO & enjoy it, but in the last year particular it has certainly taken a turn for the worse in my opinion.  Too much short term cash grabbing concepts & not enough offerings to current players to entice not coerce spending money.

I still think it is one of the more generous free to play games, but PWE & Cryptic seems to be in attempts to shackle that with more blatant time & money sinks.

I will wait & see/hear about this "Delta Recruitment" concept since it might have promise, but there will be probably a negative catch to the proposal.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I think it's kinda interesting that they're encouraging new characters at this time.  It doesn't seem like they have a significant amount of alternate material for new characters to go through.  It sounds like there are XP bonuses to zip people through the what's already there with some added bonuses.  Why pick now to do that?  Because they're getting rid of the shoe boxes, maybe?

I gotta say, I AM looking forward to that.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

The site is updated now

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9080423-delta-recruitment

Sounds kinda neat. I'll check it out. Especially if we get an extra character slot for it.

Not sure what I'll roll though.. probably Federation... Too much red in the Klingons, too much green for the Romulans. I guess I'm a sucker for blue :)

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

I Still have hope for this game with new game director. This event looks promising this really appeals to Atl-holics like myself. 

I can't speak to the anger about the content at the higher levels but I have never seen so many different post by so many different players that where angry about the changes on the last expansion. Check out the rating from the guys on steam who have put in thousands of hours... not good to tick that player base off. Maybe they can win them back?

I go back ever so often to get my space fix... 

Its not dead yet Jim!!!

• norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    STO has gone through a lot of changes recently and is poised to make more changes with  Chapter 10.   I mean they revamped Skills twice .   Added a faction, Re-did the tutorial, and more recently added a new BOFF system.    Right now is a great to time to start especially during the event especially with a free character slot.     only thing that Bugs me on the CS is the Lockbox  Keys since Boxes drop like snow  in winter.    
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by DijonCyanide

I still play STO & enjoy it, but in the last year particular it has certainly taken a turn for the worse in my opinion.  Too much short term cash grabbing concepts & not enough offerings to current players to entice not coerce spending money.

I still think it is one of the more generous free to play games, but PWE & Cryptic seems to be in attempts to shackle that with more blatant time & money sinks.

I will wait & see/hear about this "Delta Recruitment" concept since it might have promise, but there will be probably a negative catch to the proposal.

Like their turning ships into a grind.  Level yourself, now level your ship, until the new ones come out...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

Like their turning ships into a grind.  Level yourself, now level your ship, until the new ones come out...

I don't particularly like the grind but I do like how they put in some sort of progression post max level. It used to be about gear but at least now we get new skills and perks for grinding dilithium.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

I don't particularly like the grind but I do like how they put in some sort of progression post max level. It used to be about gear but at least now we get new skills and perks for grinding dilithium.

Dilithium... Despite the games serious craptastic endgame fiasco the dilithium grind is what kills me in STO...

I am in a small fleet with friends and we are slowly grinding the fleet ... then comes crafting, the upgrades and so on and still we can only convert 8k dilithium a day...

This is still one of the main sticking points for me over this game... Sure Delta Rising is a serious let down for its cash grab mechanics, but after 5 years and at the level STO has become dependent on the Dilithium grind one would think that they would loosen the iron grip a little by now.

Oh you could by zen from the Arc Store...  100 zen to a dollar starting increment is 10 dollars... then go to the in game dilithium exchange and trade your paid for Zen into diltihium.  and this is where the game earned its most heinous reputation as a P2W game.

EC has become useless except for those newbies who are new to the game or those who arent interested in the crafting.

GPL has always been pointless

Dilithium is the main currency of STO and it is also the one that is the most frustrating of any currency in any other game.

Star Trek Online is a perfect example of the South Park episode "Freemium isn't Free"

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Akumawraith

EC has become useless except for those newbies who are new to the game or those who arent interested in the crafting.

Dilithium is the main currency of STO and it is also the one that is the most frustrating of any currency in any other game.

Star Trek Online is a perfect example of the South Park episode "Freemium isn't Free"

Nah, only the endgame grind maybe, but even that is pretty far from the "Cana-dough" version SP presented :)

EC was always useless, and GPL got some role back within DOff assignments, but yep, still pretty pointless. Dilly is controlled by Cryptic firmly, and they can tweak it any way they want with the patches.

Still, maybe because I don't play the endgame grind anyways, I like STO. And this recruitment event seems fun, I haven't started a new captain since New Romulus, so it will be a good time to level up a new one. (or at least goofing around with, LotRO's Anniversary will be around that time too image )

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Robsolf

I think it's kinda interesting that they're encouraging new characters at this time.  It doesn't seem like they have a significant amount of alternate material for new characters to go through.  It sounds like there are XP bonuses to zip people through the what's already there with some added bonuses.  Why pick now to do that?  Because they're getting rid of the shoe boxes, maybe?

I gotta say, I AM looking forward to that.

Until you hit the mid-40s, it's one mission = one level.  In the 50s, it slows down as the content thins. Up until that point, it doesn't seem like they have added much on a faction basis (other than adding Romulans). I haven't tried the Klingons though.  They did a double-XP weekend recently and I was levelling at a truly ridiculous pace. No point in trying to gear up a ship properly until the 40s. You will be screaming through the levels so fast you will not be able to afford to buy stuff off the AH. (and on a double-XP weekend, 5 missions just isn't enough before it's time for a new ship...)

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Akumawraith

Nah, only the endgame grind maybe, but even that is pretty far from the "Cana-dough" version SP presented :)

EC was always useless, and GPL got some role back within DOff assignments, but yep, still pretty pointless. Dilly is controlled by Cryptic firmly, and they can tweak it any way they want with the patches.

Still, maybe because I don't play the endgame grind anyways, I like STO. And this recruitment event seems fun, I haven't started a new captain since New Romulus, so it will be a good time to level up a new one. (or at least goofing around with, LotRO's Anniversary will be around that time too image )

cana dough that SP introduced is a carbon copy of STO...

1 -  120 bucks for the mega pack or 30 bucks each for the Delta pack T6 sperm cruisers and such... over priced.

2. New crafting system, 400 zen for 1 material requisiton box ar 1000 zen for the 4 pack. oh and they added the T6 Jemhadar attack ship upgrade to it if you get lucky.... cash grab central

3. Ship upgrades... again 700 zen for 1 upgrade token, or 2000 zen for a 4 pack... these lil items allow you to take a tier 5 ship to tier 6 but not get the benefits of the tier 6... a complete waste of money.

Shall we go on?

so a break down... if you dont want to buy all the ships from the bundle because you dont play romulans or klingons.. or federation then you buy them individually at 30 bucks each or 3000 zen. oh wait the Consoles have a bonus for being in a set.. thats 120 dollars or 12000 zen for the three then... Hell might as well buy the mega pack its the same price... Greed mongering at its finest.

New crafting system isnt so bad, you could run STFs and do mission and farm the mats ... however for those that are keeping track the STFs are damn near a ghost land. Few if any are running the damned things.. so that means all the crafters are buying them... and most are probably doing it for the Strike Ship... so that cash cow is heavily pregnant.

Upgrades... I have 10 Captains at 50 5 have T6 ships from the anniversary event. 1 has a free upgrade and thats my Chimera Heavy Destroyer from LTS. then I bought an upgrade for my KDF Bortasque Cruiser.... ... not spending anymore on the others....

so yeah its a fools paradise for a freemium game

Once upon a time STO was a good game, Delta Rising crapped all over it and now its not worth even updating... the end game is a joke. When they added Dust to Dust anniversary mission as the end mission for Delta I almost cried in shame that i had spent any money since its release....

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    This is a sign of how terrible this game is doing right now.  Having to give out free stuff just to get people to play your game after you made terrible decisions and lost a metric ferengi ton of us is just showing how bad your decision making process is cryptic. Sorry, not coming back until you restore the XP to it's previous levels and make it so that dilithium isn't used for every single thing including using the captains toilet!