Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Ways VR Headsets Could Improve MMOs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It seems like a new VR headset is announced every few months now. First there was the Oculus Rift, pioneering a newly discovered market segment. Now we have Sony’s Project Morpheus, Steam and HTC’s Vive, the Samsung Gear, and a whole host of other companies clamoring to get in on the topic while it’s still hot. Since they’re not widely owned yet and are still very much in developmental stages, it’s tough to tell exactly how it will play out, but it’s an exciting time for sure.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 Ways VR Headsets Could Improve MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

5 valid points.

I have never felt immersed in first person perspective because the fake first person simulation is too obvious. There is an empty space with a M&KB or gamepad between me and the screen that is supossed to simulate my face. Total immersion breaker for me.

I think VR is the only way i would actually feel immersed in first person gameplay but ONLY if my hands are part of the gameplay itself, not using a mouse/fb or one gamepad. I would have to use movement based peripherals like wiimote (or the image on point #2) to simulate weapons and holding objects.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I really do not like first person view either. It just never felt right. The rest of the points would be nice though.
  • AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I once had the experience of taking a ride in a battle tech simulator down in Indianapolis and that was the closest I got to a real virtual world.

If the VR headsets and peripherals can get me as close as what I felt back then they will be worth it.

Then we just need to get the developers around the world to get off thier collective arses and start producing worthy games....

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Fine for FPS but for an MMO where my character progresses and aquires new cool looking armour, I want to see him leaving a trail of destruction behind. I want to see him swinging his sword and running around.

I just don't see VR working quite as well in 3rd person, which is how I want to play MMO's.

For FPS, flight sims, racing games yeah great but not rpg's or MMO's.

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

can see it being ok for space flight sims, but for rpg's not so much. not played a first person view since the old days of doom and duke nukem.

i prefer to look over my shoulder so i can get a better view of where i'm going.

also, what about people who have problems with their eyes? vr would be totaly wasted on them. have a friend who can only see out of one eye, if a vr headset was required people with eye problems would be screwed.

there is also the slight matter of people getting sick wearing those headsets. can just imagine the group chat "afk a few mins, need to clean the vomit off my keyboard"

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I think they are the next step in computing. In that sense, they will be much bigger than MMORPGs alone; data visualization, telepresence conferencing, vacation planning, etc.

I am also looking forward to seeing how these devices will affect the gaming landscape as a whole.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

I look forward to VR headsets being incorporated into a good MMO.

I still prefer to play in first person for the immersion and this will only improve with the new technologies.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    The problem with VR headsets is that they are headsets. Most will not wear vomit inducing neck sprainers. Create a way simulate VR without the headset, and I'll buy into it.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

If there were a single API, like DirectX.  If you could take any large screen phone (>=5”) or small tablet (<=8”) and slide it into a headset rig and go.  If the controller wasn’t as bad as the Nintendo power glove.  May be then I would say it had a chance.  I would also want to use my own headset and mic.  I wear glasses and must have a headset that fits over my ears and glasses.  MMORPG controls run about 20 - 80 keys, doing that blind is a steep learning curve.  Most if not all gamers are not athletic and may not be up to the strenuous activity and equipment weight  implied in the article.

What the gaming community wants from a VR system is to lay in bed and wear a light weight neural interface for whole body 5 senses.   Anything less will to some degree or over time “break immersion.”  What we are seeing is 3rd generation technology, when what the gaming public wants is around 8th generation or better.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I have already been doing VR in MMO's 
  • ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    What's that you are playing? Motion Sickness Simulator 2015 with realistic puke bucket controller? 

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

5) They’re Just Plain Cool  

How is this even a point it is just a subjective opinion.

4) More Immersive Roleplaying

Perhaps, but if it involves standing in a field with a bunch of other guys all of us with nerdy looking headsets on then no thanks.  If it requires me to jump up and down run on the spot or any other shenanigans then forget it.  My Avatar may be young and fit, I am not.

3) Gesture-Based Controls       2) Engaging Combat

Waving my hands in the air and pretending to swing a sword or use a bow.  It would just make my partner laugh and send the dog into a frenzy.  Again no thanks.

1) Returning to First Person

OK love to return to first person gaming (actually as much as possible I play this way now) but how is this more likely with a VR hat than it is at the moment?

Conclusion

Nope not sold on VR headsets with MMO's at all.  Against using them?  No just completely uninterested in the outcome

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

5 valid points.

I have never felt immersed in first person perspective because the fake first person simulation is too obvious. There is an empty space with a M&KB or gamepad between me and the screen that is supossed to simulate my face. Total immersion breaker for me.

I think VR is the only way i would actually feel immersed in first person gameplay but ONLY if my hands are part of the gameplay itself, not using a mouse/fb or one gamepad. I would have to use movement based peripherals like wiimote (or the image on point #2) to simulate weapons and holding objects.

Agreed to what he says. I never liked 1st person because frankly it was never my own perspective from where i could see the world in a 1st person game. In a 1st person game i can never tell if someone is sneaking behind me or tailing me while in real life anyone can at least sense that someone is being sneaky. 1st person really kills the mood for me.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I cannot even play first person shooters this tech will make me puke even faster and have horrible headaches . Sad, I  would like to experience this new thing. I'll have to try it and keep my fingers crossed but I think this will be worse than any FPS.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I don't believe that VR headsets will become universally used or obligatory in all games. Far from it.

There are some existing genres (flight simulators, racing games, exploration/puzzle games) where VR could obviously be used to immense advantage in the actual game play. I cannot see VR being remotely useful in side-scrollers/ platformers, for instance, or in a game like Civilization.

And trying to combine VR with actual RL movement will be just as lastingly successful as the Wii console sports games (remember those ?). Most people will quickly get tired of having to take a shower after a session of gaming, aside from which it is extremely impractical in shared spaces like dorm rooms or the family living room.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    You don't need VR technology to make a first person game. You can go out and make a first person MMO right now if you wanted.  I don't recommend it, because there's a a reason damn near every MMO since the two you've listed has been third person.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I think it would be important to know whether or not the Rift the user is wearing in the picture DMKano posted is a dev kit 1 or dev kit 2. The Oculus dev kit 1 lacks positional tracking, which is a major source of motion sickness in some users, and the reason Gabe Newell claims his headset makes 0% of users motion sick.

No doubt, the reports of motion sickness are a bit disconcerting, but for some reason I have this feeling that I'd be one of those who are just able to jack in; it's part cool factor, part childhood dreams, and the fact my MMO of choice was one of the first online multiplayer games to support it.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    The money is in the bank waiting....  As soon as one comes out commercially I like, it will be bought....
  • TurtleDGr8TurtleDGr8 Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by craftseeker

5) They’re Just Plain Cool  

How is this even a point it is just a subjective opinion.

4) More Immersive Roleplaying

Perhaps, but if it involves standing in a field with a bunch of other guys all of us with nerdy looking headsets on then no thanks.  If it requires me to jump up and down run on the spot or any other shenanigans then forget it.  My Avatar may be young and fit, I am not.

3) Gesture-Based Controls       2) Engaging Combat

Waving my hands in the air and pretending to swing a sword or use a bow.  It would just make my partner laugh and send the dog into a frenzy.  Again no thanks.

1) Returning to First Person

OK love to return to first person gaming (actually as much as possible I play this way now) but how is this more likely with a VR hat than it is at the moment?

Conclusion

Nope not sold on VR headsets with MMO's at all.  Against using them?  No just completely uninterested in the outcome

We have gesture based control possibilities now and people aren't going for it.  Microsoft based the XB1 around it, and then backed off when they realized it wasn't selling.  It's really neat, but people in general just aren't looking to mess about with gesture controls.  Not until a lot of the issues with them get worked out.  Like every game, system and interface using a different set of gestures for commands.

I think VR Headsets are definitely the way gaming is going to go.  I'm not at all convinced people are going to adopt it for much else though.

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83

As an owner of  a rift DK2 , any fps game becomes  a thousand times more emersive in the rift.

Battlefield.call of duty, borderlands, the arma series, Elderscrolls online, after playing these games with the rift, I find that i do not want to play them without the rift.