Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the sith is Galactic Starfighter not legacy wide??

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Bioware should do something about this, I don´t want to grind out Galactic Starfighter on multiple characters, it´s totally pointless!

Now I have a character to queue up for GSF, great. Always relogging for some space combat? Come on

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Bioware should do something about this, I don´t want to grind out Galactic Starfighter on multiple characters, it´s totally pointless!

Now I have a character to queue up for GSF, great. Always relogging for some space combat? Come on

Because they chose to be greedy, and were hoping people would convert cartel coins into whatever the ship currency is called.

Even the CM market ships and unlocks can't be made account wide through collections, so you'd have to buy them all again on each character you want to do it on.

Needless to say, I think their approach has backfired pretty badly, and as a result they've pretty much dropped GSF for the time being.

Hopefully it was a learning experience for them when it comes to future content.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Because they chose to be greedy, and were hoping people would convert cartel coins into whatever the ship currency is called.

Even the CM market ships and unlocks can't be made account wide through collections, so you'd have to buy them all again on each character you want to do it on.

Needless to say, I think their approach has backfired pretty badly, and as a result they've pretty much dropped GSF for the time being.

Hopefully it was a learning experience for them when it comes to future content.

bad for them so if they don't update and change it to fill this design hole I won't queue up for GSF and play Star Conflict instead (which is pretty much the same concept  plus PvE and open world).

Really hope this whole SWTOR space thing would be more thought through and content rich.

Ah what do I expect, it's just Star Wars. Nothing much going on in space right...

SW Battlefront 3 in December

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

The fact that this surprises anyone is amazing. SWTOR is an amazing business model at work. Minimal Product for maximum profit. The elements of the game are always released to the players with a deft use of outrage testing. They create path of least substance content, and they charge for everything on many layers. It's not about making money, it's about making money off of the tensile strength of the SWTOR devotees attachment to the only Star Wars game on the market. 

Through all of the layoffs since launch the developers of SWTOR have maintained it's primary principle of delivering far less than imagined while charging far more than expected.   

Anyone who has gone to a Disney theme park should find the SWTOR experience familiar: You take the inner child to the park and after a few hours an $8.00 soda makes sense because you are thirsty.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Archlyte

They create path of least substance content

well that´s kinda true. Many features feel polished but a bit half a**ed as if they did the minimum that is necessary to make it work.

Strongholds another example with the limited hook system. It´s good, but not amazing. GSF, kinda good, but not amazing.

Pretty much everything is average but well polished at least, and works.

Legacy system is cool though, I think this is the only thing that feels like it has some depth and took a long time to make it work.

If BW would add an extra mile to all systems it could be amazing, e.g. make GSF legacy wide and add some PvE with cockpits.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

If BW would add an extra mile to all systems it could be amazing, e.g. make GSF legacy wide and add some PvE with cockpits.

It'd definitely make it more popular. But I suspect programming the AI required for it is a monumental task that they don't want to invest in.

My original level of excitement when it was revealed that it would be a PvP only thing was pretty much  "...yay...? That's supposed to be the big thing we've been waiting for..?"

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

The fact that this surprises anyone is amazing. SWTOR is an amazing business model at work. Minimal Product for maximum profit. The elements of the game are always released to the players with a deft use of outrage testing. They create path of least substance content, and they charge for everything on many layers. It's not about making money, it's about making money off of the tensile strength of the SWTOR devotees attachment to the only Star Wars game on the market. 

Through all of the layoffs since launch the developers of SWTOR have maintained it's primary principle of delivering far less than imagined while charging far more than expected.   

Anyone who has gone to a Disney theme park should find the SWTOR experience familiar: You take the inner child to the park and after a few hours an $8.00 soda makes sense because you are thirsty.

Blizzard seems to be taking notes.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

But I suspect programming the AI required for it is a monumental task that they don't want to invest in.

Made all the harder by - I suspect - developers within Bioware viewing SWTOR as a "sunset" project. Something not yet at "the end of the road" but "in the home stretch".

And a project that gets to this stage creates its own set of problems for management. Consider:

If you are a developer planning to retire then working on SWTOR would be OK. If not then you will want to be working on (Frostbite) SW Battlefields, (Frostbite) Need for Speed, (Frostbite) EA Golf, (Frostbite) DragonAge, (Frostbite) Battlefield, (Frostbite) Plants vs. Zombies, Command & Conquer, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge ...... more and more titles within EA are now using Frostbite, adding capability to the engine in the process.

When this happens - in any company - management struggle to retain staff / bring on new staff.

And the IT cost of supporting a unique IT engine is going to loom large as well. When every game used a unique software engine then the fact that your game did was no big deal. With Frostbite costs being spread across many games any project that requires or uses unique IT is going to find it harder to get funding, resources allocated etc. 

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

They create path of least substance content

well that´s kinda true. Many features feel polished but a bit half a**ed as if they did the minimum that is necessary to make it work.

Strongholds another example with the limited hook system. It´s good, but not amazing. GSF, kinda good, but not amazing.

Pretty much everything is average but well polished at least, and works.

Legacy system is cool though, I think this is the only thing that feels like it has some depth and took a long time to make it work.

I agree with you. The thing that is most frustrating to me about SWTOR is the way you can see the potential that was there but it just dead ends in every instance. Every piece of the game is a half finished project set to working order. There is no depth in the game, and every solution they used was the cheapest except for voiceover/cutscenes.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Gunships ran alot of people off.  A game without their presence is a wonderful thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_InOkvMwaEE

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I'm fine with ship req only being on one toon. But they should have made fleet req legacy wide. They would have made a lot more money doing that.  I might even being ok with unlocking a ship be legacy wide. But not have them geared.