Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time for transgender characters?

2»

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,465
    Originally posted by maji
    Originally posted by delete5230

I'm not trying to be a holy roller family PG13ish about it, but Straight, Gay, Bi, or Trans, is about feelings of sexual, and that's not what games are about.......It's not about being Black or White either, you often have skin sliders for that.

That's not quite true. Gay, Bi, Straight and the like is about love and desire, not about sex. And love plays a role in the stories of each and every  MMORPG. 

That's bull crap, on paper only.

Lets be real, you and I and everyone here knows what the real modavations will be !

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm not trying to be a holy roller family PG13ish about it, but Straight, Gay, Bi, or Trans, is about feelings of sexual, and that's not what games are about.......It's not about being Black or White either, you often have skin sliders for that.

That's not quite true. Gay, Bi, Straight and the like is about love and desire, not about sex. And love plays a role in the stories of each and every  MMORPG. 

Lets be real, you and I and everyone here knows what the real modavations will be !

So, you are saying that love in general does not exist but is all made up in all cases to get sex?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Not all transgender people identify as opposite their birth sex, so it's not that simple. Just look at how many gender options are available on Facebook. Though, I think most of those are complete nonsense.

The whole thing could be solved with sliders that go from masculine to feminine. Ditch hard coded sex options and let people create whatever male, female, androgynous, short, tall, fat, skinny, etc. characters they can come up with. Within the bounds of what makes sense in the game world of course.

Not all transgender people identify as opposite their birth sex..... only, isn't that exactly what makes them transgender, its the premise on which the whole concept revolves, and once a 'transgender' has had their gender reassigned they are to most intents and purposes, the gender they identify themselves with, its really about realigning the body to match the identify of the person. 

There is no need for 'transgender' in MMO's they are either male or female, its only the ignorance of other people who view them as being otherwise.image

Just to clarify though as some people seem confused with the concept, body identity and sexual preference are not the same thing.

Not really, no. Transgender simply means that a person doesn't identify with their birth sex. Covered by that term are transvestites, bi-genders, genderqueers, and androgynous people. Not all of those gender identities conform to the idea that a person is either male or female.

It would be far to difficult to try and include every gender that transgender communities can come up with, obviously. And, if a game is going to include one, it's only fair to include all of them. I think the masculine to feminine sliders I mentioned above would be the best solution for a game that wanted to do so.

Character creation with that kind of a slider, implies that genitalia is going to be depicted, not sure i'd be too comfortable with any game that really went that deep into that kind of thing, and its really only in terms of genitalia that that particular type of slider would really mean anything. Any game that focused too much attention on that kind of thing anyway would probably be hit with several problems, firstly that it would probably be more appealing to under 18's and secondly, that it would only be legally playable by 18+ and thirdly... how popular is Scarlet Blade again? image

Its hardly a new concept after all, and most games have character creation tools that allow the player to create a character that has either more masculine or effeminate depictions regardless of the characters sex.

So, you are saying that love in general does not exist but is all made up in all cases to get sex?

I don't think I really need to get into a deep level of an age old argument.

Think of what people will do with this stuff.....Seriously think about it......It's just un needed in a video game.

Roll play if you like but to bluntly add it to a game is a bad idea. On top of that, developers will just not do it for argument sake period.

Look at us......Were already arguing between sex and love.....And yes you are, don't tell me it never crossed you mind with this topic......It's a bad topic and un needed....It's a video game were talking about.

• xROOxxROOx Member UncommonPosts: 8

as a MtF transgender i dont see why this would be needed at all. i identify as a women and thats what i pick when i choose my toon. i would like to assume in most cases this is how it would play out.

i have always said games need more customization when it comes to making your toon, gender as it is tho is perfectly fine IMO

Originally posted by AllyAmber

as a MtF transgender i dont see why this would be needed at all. i identify as a women and thats what i pick when i choose my toon. i would like to assume in most cases this is how it would play out.

i have always said games need more customization when it comes to making your toon, gender as it is tho is perfectly fine IMO

Good for you, very well stated :)

• RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,207
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Thoughts?  Transgender characters?  Are they coming to your MMO?

can you describe it in the context of Orc culture please?

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,343
    Originally posted by Robokapp

can you describe it in the context of Orc culture please?

Ogg like pretty shiny armor. Ogg smash human and take pretty shiny armor!

Ogg add more blood to make Ogg's armor prettier.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 253

It seems like it would be pretty simple.....Make it so when you are customizing the head you can pick from ALL customization options.....then pick a body to go with the head. They already have sliders for breast size, and all that stuff so with the body types you could just do male with female armor, or female with male armor, or each armor piece could have a spot to select male, or female version. I personally don't think it's that important of a topic....it's a video game, but then again I do generally make my character look as much like me as I can. Since I'm 6'4" 220 and reasonably good looking it's usually not that difficult within the confines of most games. I guess I do see that there may be a gap for people wanting to represent themselves that I don't notice. So I guess.....use my idea, and make it so :P 

• justmemyselfandijustmemyselfandi Member UncommonPosts: 559

Are you going to demand to be able to run around naked with anatomically correct parts so people can see your "girl" with a penis or your "boy" with a vagina? Good luck with that.

And since that's the only way someone would now you were a "tranny" in the game, it's not worth the dev time to implement for a ridiculously small portion of the gaming world ( not to mention the entire real world also ).

Are you a guy who wants to be a "woman"? Roll a female and name yourself Bob to identify yourself to others as "special".

Are you a woman who wants to be a "man"? Roll a dude named Bethany.

Star Wars The Old Republic Referral http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn
    Free 7 days of sub time, unlocks, and items!
  • silentdevosilentdevo Member UncommonPosts: 13
    As transgender is really about being the opposite sex, wouldn't see a reason to add a gender, also until the debate about being gay and transgender as stone cold fact of being inherent, don't put that shit in video games and disturb the beliefs and values of others, keep that shit locked up, no reason to expose young kids to that shit
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

What if I only want one female breast? Can I have a single testicle and some female parts also please? Don't hate on my lifestyle choice people.

Seriously, can we keep this s*** out of my MMO's please?

I actually would like to see a guy with tits.. who are you to say its not ok?????????

Just my 2 cents...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,122
    Originally posted by silentdevo
    As transgender is really about being the opposite sex, wouldn't see a reason to add a gender, also until the debate about being gay and transgender as stone cold fact of being inherent, don't put that shit in video games and disturb the beliefs and values of others, keep that shit locked up, no reason to expose young kids to that shit

Why would it matter whether or not it was inherent? Even if it were something that they chose to be or do, at that point, it would be part of their "belief system" and you are "disturbing" their beliefs and values by telling them that you are inherently right and they are inherently wrong. You know, because you said so. If anything, the only reason these people are looked at as monsters at all (I can only assume that you do as well since you think they are to scary for children to know about) is because kids aren't exposed to the realities of sexuality before they get inundated with homophobic rhetoric and extreme social pressure.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

It'd be cool, they could be revealed in a story arc, like Faris. Adds a little something neat to a character, a dash of special snowflake, if you will!  I like it.

• HarkynHarkyn Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by General-Zod

We presently have the two genders:  Male and Female.  But I wonder, with society becoming more open and accepting, if it's time for the third gender:  the Transgender.

Now, this doesn't mean we're going to have a bunch of Micahel-Caine-Dressed-to-kill type of characters walking around with big knives.  But, I think the graphics could looks sort of in-between, with a choice of more of a male or more of a female focus.

For purists, we can let parents filter this out in the controls, so Lil' Johnny doesn't see this if they want it screened out.

Wouldn't selecting the gender they most identify with serve the same purpose?

Ye, this ^

And you can just play a girl and roleplay that you have a d in your pants.

I'm a gamer and I play games, not virtual vending machines.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Adamantine

1. In a roleplaying game, your character is not YOU. Anyone can play a transgender character, if they wish so.

2. Transgenders are not a separate gender. They are people born into one gender who are wired in their brain for the other gender.

3. HOW you play the character depends upon how you think the character would be in the setting. For example in D&D a transgender would simply get a girdle of gender change, or get a spell to the same effect, made permanent. Thus they would play as their desired gender. In other settings, no such means would be available, thus a character would play as their birth gender.

4. Same for asexuals.

5. Intersexuals actually consistute a separate gender. However, even those visually identify as one or the other gender.

It is not actually brain, it is gene. It happens when we are fetus in womb, lack of ingredients to build up a proper gene structure causes the fetus to be unable to build proper chromosome with X and Y or simply X and X, it happens because by nature the process of building 1st prioritize survival. so the fetus then continue to build only concerning survival and build the structure of the most vital organs for survival and  transforms into a form which can survive but may lack a lot of other function or have some extra/unknown function or lack of a proper build up etc. If you know anyone who has biology major in senior high school try reading their textbooks.

EDIT : if you are talking about a person who has the complete body function of a man but thinks he is a woman or woman who thinks she is a man, that is Gender Identity Disorder(GID). A person who suffers GID can seek psychological therapy to counter the problem.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

We presently have the two genders:  Male and Female.  But I wonder, with society becoming more open and accepting, if it's time for the third gender:  the Transgender.

Now, this doesn't mean we're going to have a bunch of Micahel-Caine-Dressed-to-kill type of characters walking around with big knives.  But, I think the graphics could looks sort of in-between, with a choice of more of a male or more of a female focus.

For purists, we can let parents filter this out in the controls, so Lil' Johnny doesn't see this if they want it screened out.

That content has been implemented in many MMOs by changing Character gender in a paid service.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I don't particularly care about gender inclusion as much as I care about increased levels of customization. More sliders, more body/face types/facial features, etc. If someone wants to make a super feminine male character or vice versa, fine by me. I'd rather see more character customization in general.
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Gender, sex, and sexual orientation are not the same. 

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs.

Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

There are more than two genders recognized in the LGBTTQQ2IAM community, most notable third gender which is not intersex.

The majority of you are treating sex, as in the body and biological differences as gender here. Which is incorrect. 

If you want to add more sexes, then you'd be adding biological components.

If you wanted to add more GENDERS, then you'd be adding transgender, which is not visible really pre-surgery, or third gender. But gender is not visible on the large part, aside from how we chose to cloth ourselves and act.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I'd be very interested to know how you would characterize a transgender. Tell me about some features that might be included to differentiate between a transgender and a "regular" male or female character. I am not a transgender, but I don't really think that this would be a feature that a game company could "win" at. It's just a loss all-around because they're simply going to implement generalized, stereotypical version of transgenders, so doesn't that end up simply being offensive? Maybe they should work on getting Male and Female characters right before they get too fancy or complex.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,096

1. In a roleplaying game, your character is not YOU. Anyone can play a transgender character, if they wish so.

2. Transgenders are not a separate gender. They are people born into one gender who are wired in their brain for the other gender.

3. HOW you play the character depends upon how you think the character would be in the setting. For example in D&D a transgender would simply get a girdle of gender change, or get a spell to the same effect, made permanent. Thus they would play as their desired gender. In other settings, no such means would be available, thus a character would play as their birth gender.

4. Same for asexuals.

5. Intersexuals actually consistute a separate gender. However, even those visually identify as one or the other gender.

I agree with a lot of this.

anyway aren't most of the females transgendered now, since they played by males in real life? So not hard to roleplay that your female is really a transgender..

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Rusque
    I don't particularly care about gender inclusion as much as I care about increased levels of customization. More sliders, more body/face types/facial features, etc. If someone wants to make a super feminine male character or vice versa, fine by me. I'd rather see more character customization in general.

Same here. It's just nice to have more options, be that more feminine looking males in Western RPG's or more masculine looking men in JRPG's, or flatter women, or whatever, it lets you fit the taste of more players.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

4. Same for asexuals.

I agree with a lot of this.

anyway aren't most of the females transgendered now, since they played by males in real life? So not hard to roleplay that your female is really a transgender..

We call those manbians, or shotas if they decide to have a pecker and boobs. Basically ... they know when they screw each other they're both dudes, we know it, but they try to pretend they're both girls so it's not awkward. Cause that'd compromise their bro-status.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

A transgender is basically a male or female who feel that they do not confine within the sex given to them at birth by their genitals.  That being said, ...a male can roll a female character and "walla!", you now have a transgender (in fact, that's very common and happens all the time in games ;P ).   But this is more of a case for role playing since you, the player, are not restricted on character sex at character creation for any of the games (I think Korea is, but they lock their country equivalent of social security number to the accounts).   

Edit:  The one thing I think that developers could do is start making female armor sets for male characters and male armor sets for female characters.   This way the male character that wants to wear a flowing dress can and the female character that wants to wear the full plate soldier armor can.   Just saying...

This discussion has been closed.