Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are video games even an appropriate medium for storyteling?

Now don't get my wrong, I am all about art. I care more about art than anything. (except, well, ya know)

BUT

Games don't come from a place of story telling, do they? Did pong have lore? Why do I keep seeing such lame wannabe dialogue.... why do programmers/artists think they are writers? 

The answer must and always be money. So they think that story is essential to the success of a game? Because WoW has a story and is successful? IMO WoW is a very special case, as few game companies have any sort of following like Blizz. 

I have never really gotten into the story for a game (got NES when I was 5.... and it was new not the bargain bin... props to dad for scraping together the cash that christmas)

Although I am a huge fan of storytelling and it's power and necessity in our world, I don't think that video games should really bother trying to be a medium for this. I enjoyed the story for Diablo 1? Knew who I was and where I was going. Good enough.

For example in GW2. it's just a really weak version of a Pixar film every hour for 5 minutes..... why? 

Do any games do story telling well? And remember that childhood is what it is. I had deep feelings for Link and Epona, and was concerned when Diddy Kong fell off a banana tree - but that was because I was a child. 

Is it worth it for games to do storytelling? Why do they try?

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    For me, Absolutely! I look at Final Fantasy series, The Elder Scroll Series, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2! Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Fallout, i mean just a thousand games i've tried over the years that i just was totally touched by games stories.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I live in a world where the demand for story-driven games is extremely high.

What world do you live in?

I mean there are good and bad ways to present story in games, but that's a different question from the one you asked.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

its more of the modern times, most players right now dont really care about the story and just want to eat the content.

so in order to make content less "boring" they just strip most of the storytelling and just give watered down quests or cinematics that are fast to skip and dont make the player actually make an effort to understand.

it happens in all games of this era.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by xaritscin

its more of the modern times, most players right now dont really care about the story and just want to eat the content.

so in order to make content less "boring" they just strip most of the storytelling and just give watered down quests or cinematics that are fast to skip and dont make the player actually make an effort to understand.

it happens in all games of this era. 

Story is content.  Even when presented badly it's content.

It's best when story doesn't interfere with gameplay (happens in real-time while playing) but it's always content.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by nebb1234

Now don't get my wrong, I am all about art. I care more about art than anything. (except, well, ya know)

BUT

Games don't come from a place of story telling, do they? 

Humanity seems to have always had some investment in storytelling. I don't think the first cave paintings had character development let alone secondary character arcs or denouement but they were there to depict important events.

Some games are about story and some aren't. 

Pong isn't. Guild Wars 2 is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Video games have a ton of potential as a storytelling medium!  Video games are as multimedia as multimedia gets - they can include every other medium, including music, still 2D art, still 3D art, animated movies, story, and gameplay.  Game stories are often bad because they are neglected in the development phase - minimal chunk of the budget, not hiring experienced writers, etc.  These are bad decisions on the part of those doing the hiring, not the fault of the game medium.  There have been some really excellent game stories too, from games which had talented writing staff being paid to produce them.  In addition to Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls games, I adored the stories of Okami, The Longest Journey, Sanitarium, Vagrant Story... there are many examples of games with great stories, even if there are more examples of games with lousy stories.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by Sovrath

BUT

Humanity seems to have always had some investment in storytelling. I don't think the first cave paintings had character development let alone secondary character arcs or denouement but they were there to depict important events.

They guy who made pacman said he was trying to design a game women would also like. Because (HIS WORDS OBVIOUSLY) "women like eating, I'll make a game about that!" <----- I wonder if his wife/mom knows that

and thus pacman was born.... eating away for decades to come.

and those cave paintings were about when the aliens came duh :P :P

but yes good point, good point

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

play  to the moon and try to see what u are wrong.

Games are perfect for story telling.

good games have both , a good story and good gameplay.

if u have an awesome gameplay but boring story is somewhat tolerable , because u enjoy playing it!

Good story bad gameplay ugh the story could be the best ever but if u dont enjoy the game ....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Sovrath

BUT

They guy who made pacman said he was trying to design a game women would also like. Because (HIS WORDS OBVIOUSLY) "women like eating, I'll make a game about that!" <----- I wonder if his wife/mom knows that

and thus pacman was born.... eating away for decades to come.

and those cave paintings were about when the aliens came duh :P :P

but yes good point, good point

I think the issue is they need to know what type of game they are and if they want to depict a story, do it in a way that is natural to the game style.

Paintings can depict a story but it's done in a different way than a novel.

As for mmo's. part of the issue is that some players have an incredibly difficult time divorcing themselves from other players when the "story part" come into play. They say "I saved the world and I'm there with 100 other people who have saved the world".

When, for the sake of story, you were the only person who saved the world. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Axehilt

I mean there are good and bad ways to present story in games, but that's a different question from the one you asked.

Agreed.  OP, did you bother googling this at all?

EDIT: OP, if you're genuinely interested in games as a medium for storytelling, I think you'll really enjoy this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajz_1TqccYA

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Yes...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Yes.

Bioware, Telltale Games, Kojima Productions, and many more.  Ever play Asura's Wrath?  It's an excellent action-anime in video game form.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Pong is an arcade game... it's medium doesn't require a story, just a construct.

Most non-arcade games have a story... otherwise they could not be classified as being science fiction or fantasy or the like.  The characters, the world, the places in it are all part of a story.  You may not read the text of the story, but you learn of it, merely by playing the game.  Just what is a Paladin without a backstory?  Or any villain or foe for that matter?  

You are playing a character in a game and you are writing it's story every time you log in.  You are acquiring items that tell a story to others... this person defeated Magnus on ultimate mode... this person has the flying mount that only drops from this dungeon... this person has seen every corner of this game.

You can't play these games without telling a story.  You may choose to ignore the lore, but you cannot ignore the fact that everything you do in game, tells a story whether you intended to or not.

Originally posted by sunandshadow
    Video games have a ton of potential as a storytelling medium!  Video games are as multimedia as multimedia gets - they can include every other medium, including music, still 2D art, still 3D art, animated movies, story, and gameplay.  Game stories are often bad because they are neglected in the development phase - minimal chunk of the budget, not hiring experienced writers, etc.  These are bad decisions on the part of those doing the hiring, not the fault of the game medium.  There have been some really excellent game stories too, from games which had talented writing staff being paid to produce them.  In addition to Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls games, I adored the stories of Okami, The Longest Journey, Sanitarium, Vagrant Story... there are many examples of games with great stories, even if there are more examples of games with lousy stories.

mmmm good list.

I strongly agree that it is often a small chunk of the budget thrown at the story.  Leading to crappy stories to tell to begin with.

It is interesting how many different talents have to come together for a game, I find that music is often also under-funded/overlooked

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

So how many video games are based off of movies?  How many movies are based off of video games? 

I can think of multiple movies that have its origin based off of video games.  Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Tomb Raider, Hitman, to name a few.  So are video games a appropriate medium for story telling.  I believe the producers of those movies thought so.  I know I do as well!

So the answer to your question would be YES.  Video games are a appropriate medium for story telling!

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Agreed.  OP, did you bother googling this at all?

EDIT: OP, if you're genuinely interested in games as a medium for storytelling, I think you'll really enjoy this video:

eh cool thanks! I added it my watch later, and I hit that every night before bed. I really, really, REALLY need to go level up my Venom in marvel heroes, be back in a  while :D

Originally posted by xpowderx

So how many video games are based off of movies?  How many movies are based off of video games? 

I can think of multiple movies that have its origin based off of video games.  Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Tomb Raider, Hitman, to name a few.  So are video games a appropriate medium for story telling.  I believe the producers of those movies thought so.  I know I do as well!

So the answer to your question would be YES.  Video games are a appropriate medium for story telling!

Many people seem to agree! I wish it were better implemented. 

Maybe it's the foul taste left in my mouth from the gw2 living story. 

Many better examples of story telling in a game have been listed here though, so  thanks for that ya'll.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Yes, video games, when designed correctly, can be one the greatest methods of storytelling. No other medium affords the opportunity for the consumer to interact with the characters and feel the impact of their actions. 
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I think  the real question should be "Who is telling the story?"
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Yes, video games, when designed correctly, can be one the greatest methods of storytelling. No other medium affords the opportunity for the consumer to interact with the characters and feel the impact of their actions. 

Absolutely. I'm sure there are plenty of people with fond memories of stories they've played through in games.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GilgamerGilgamer Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I think if your game is going to be character driven it had better have a story, even if that story is player directed and not predetermined.  If gameplay is the action of the game than story is the why behind the action, it is what drives player behavior.  Why am I slaughtering orcs, why am I shooting people with a gun, why am I fleeing along rooftops?  If the story can't answer these basic questions for the player than where is the immediacy?  I think the story is central to some games and secondary to others, but there is no reason why game developers shouldn't strive for both the best gameplay and the best story.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Is story telling a absolute requirement to make a fun game? No

Do games as a medium lend themselves to story telling extremely well? Absolutely

Games are one of if not the best way to convey a interactive narrative and are a key distinguishing factor that separates games from each other.  The whole last part of MMORPG is a player playing a role in a story inside a game.  Sure there are a few cases where that story is mostly created by the player ala EVE but even than it's hard to believe players naturally creating the world they have in that game without some frame work to build around done by the Developers.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

eh cool thanks! I added it my watch later, and I hit that every night before bed. I really, really, REALLY need to go level up my Venom in marvel heroes, be back in a  while :D

It's about time I check out this Marvel Heroes thing. Maybe I'll see you there.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Go check out The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. The writing in these is better than a good portion of the novels I've read in my life.

That being said, there is no such thing as an inappropriate medium for storytelling. It's an integral part of our identity as a species.

<3

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

I don't think that games which are made explicitly to tell a story are very good (I have played a couple "games" like to the moon and walking dead and was not impressed).

I do however think that if the story is just a part of the game then it can be great (The World Ends With You anybody?)

Story driven "games" just feel like such a gimmick to me, but I am not even close to the mainstream market so my opinion is worth less in the grand scheme.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online