Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New music piece released - Terminus

2»

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    Originally posted by Joppa
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    If you're going to throw it out there like this, maybe it should be good? It sounds like the intro to an 80s british tv series,(not the kind in American syndication) wherein the medieval protagonists live a meager, tragic existence selling dirt clogs.

Care to give an actual example? I'm curious if this is true.

Are you enabling me, here, Sovrath?

Hmm, an example of bad, synthesized 80s british music for a medieval tv program. How about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8uMvUgnpwI

"Good mixture of different musical instruments..." ~ Reklaw

If by "different musical instruments" you mean synthesized computer sounds, sure, it's a good mixture of them.

Look, I'm saying, if you're going to spotlight music, it should be something..."spotlightable"... like, this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH-Qw2pbrNk

The music is fine for a kickstarter mmo. If that's what you call "good", more power to you, there's plenty of it out there so you'll have plenty to enjoy. I'm just not one to kneejerk, "ooo that's so gooood", raising false senses of accomplishment, when I don't feel it is. That's neither kind nor productive.

He asked, I answered. Sovrath asked for elaboration, I accommodated. I'm not interested in seeming "trolling", just expressing my opinion. I don't suppose there's much else for me to say here for now.

Hey Adjuvant1,

I guess I should say first, I've been a composer long enough to have the skin necessary to discuss my work in most settings, and have my work discussed in varying degrees of commendation and criticism. You don't need to worry about raising false senses of accomplishment with me. Thanks for bringing an honest opinion to the thread. Certainly, if you don't like the piece, I appreciate your perspective and I enjoy hearing your reasoning. But I feel the need to respond, as you seem to take issue with anyone appreciating this piece of music. Please humor me:

Some things I find interesting about your feedback:

(1) I'm not sure I trust your ability to distinguish live instrumentation vs. sampled instrumentation vs. digital instrumentation vs. synthesizer sounds (specifically because of the Clannad music you referenced)

(2) I'm not sure how familiar you are with Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, but we are still very early in development. These musical pieces are meant to give those who follow the game a taste of some of the musical themes that are developing - in other words, these are by no means fully finished and polished pieces, largely because the budget is not currently available for live orchestral recordings. Therefore, holding a single, essentially 'demo' piece up to 2 hours of a "Full Deluxe Soundtrack" for a very high budget game, recorded by live orchestra with a high dollar sound engineer and mastering house - it's almost hard for me to understand what you're trying to communicate overall. My only thought would be that you don't believe anything indie, or lower budget, or demo/unfinished should be shown to the public, even within a crowd-funded project that is focused on developmental transparency (which we are).

(3) You don't seem to understand the audience this music is being created for. P:RotF is, in many ways, the spiritual successor to Everquest 1 and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. In my music compositions for Pantheon, I'm paying careful attention to the music of those games, because people absolutely loved it, and so do I. To add a few examples that are probably more relevant to this specific discussion, have a listen to the main themes of both of those games:

Everquest 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PttciaUv9s (this is much more in line with the synthesizer music you were describing earlier - not indicative of the current age of sampled instrumentation that digital composers use)

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t18zWmxaMoI (recorded with live orchestra)

To be clear, the piece Kilsin linked in the OP is not Pantheon's main theme, but these two pieces above represent fairly iconic examples of the music of both games, and the musical 'heart' of what I'm trying to bring into Pantheon's music. I can anticipate the response you would have to both of those pieces of music though, and therefore I'm not sure you appreciate what is going to make a musical soundtrack for Pantheon appropriate and successful.

I appreciate you coming in and linking to the Civilization V soundtrack (which is a masterpiece), but I'm ultimately not sure of what you're trying to communicate, other than to say you don't like this piece of music and in your opinion others shouldn't either?

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Anyway, back to the song: I thought it was decent, nothing overly special, but with a name like Terminus, one shouldn't really be expecting an epic, high energy, whatever sort of song. As he said, it's not an entirely finished piece, and it did sort of sound that way. Still, not bad. It probably would work better in the game, I'm sure. 

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Hats off to you Joppa. You're doing an amazing with the music for Pantheon! To keep coming up with high quality songs over and over with completely different moods, that is true creativity.

The tracks are definitely worth a listen to anyone who hasn't heard them yet.

--------------------------------------------