Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storybricks is done -- tried to buy SOE

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Rea;;y it all boils down to how much knowledge was passed from SB to DBG.  I am going to hope for the best and expect the worst, can't be disappointed that way :)
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Does not change anything for EQN, they own everything they worked on with Storybricks. DGC is now working in house to finish what they started with Storybricks. Im sad Storybricks company has closed their doors and are no longer but thats the way of video games and start ups. 

They lose the expertise and the product. When you consult with a company on their technology - once you sever ties and they go out of business you lose both. Also we have no idea to what extent they worked on AI with storybricks - for all we know they were in planning stages and they get to keep all the planning.

Could be but till then I will take DGC word on the subject as law till I see other wise. DGC has said very clear they retained everything they worked on with SB devs till now. Only question remains is if DGC has the chops to finish from here. I want to see proof of that myself =-)

DBG owns what they contracted for, but it's at best an alpha product state. Does DBG have the expertise and skill sets to continue to work on this product? I doubt it.  Most likely, as they advance their product and run into issues related to Storybricks, they'll probably just gut.

Alpha in game development means "Feature Complete, but contains a list of known bugs that needs to be fixed to polish it up".  If DGC has an alpha version of emergent AI, which means feature complete, then EQN will have a very bright future.

My fear would be that they just have a pre-alpha concept prototype that is no where near feature complete and that emergent AI would not make it into EQN.

However, from the info we have it sounds more like they have more then enough to go off of for EQN and that delivering story-bricks related features for EQN won't be a problem.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Does not change anything for EQN, they own everything they worked on with Storybricks. DGC is now working in house to finish what they started with Storybricks. Im sad Storybricks company has closed their doors and are no longer but thats the way of video games and start ups. 

They lose the expertise and the product. When you consult with a company on their technology - once you sever ties and they go out of business you lose both. Also we have no idea to what extent they worked on AI with storybricks - for all we know they were in planning stages and they get to keep all the planning.

Could be but till then I will take DGC word on the subject as law till I see other wise. DGC has said very clear they retained everything they worked on with SB devs till now. Only question remains is if DGC has the chops to finish from here. I want to see proof of that myself =-)

DBG owns what they contracted for, but it's at best an alpha product state. Does DBG have the expertise and skill sets to continue to work on this product? I doubt it.  Most likely, as they advance their product and run into issues related to Storybricks, they'll probably just gut.

Alpha in game development means "Feature Complete, but contains a list of known bugs that needs to be fixed to polish it up".  If DGC has an alpha version of emergent AI, which means feature complete, then EQN will have a very bright future.

My fear would be that they just have a pre-alpha concept prototype that is no where near feature complete and that emergent AI would not make it into EQN.

However, from the info we have it sounds more like they have more then enough to go off of for EQN and that delivering story-bricks related features for EQN won't be a problem.

This I know as fact as a Landmark player. SB is on the Blueprints to hit Landmark soon. DGC devs have said they want us playing with it soon so we can do what we did with voxels. Push it and do things they didnt know could be done. 

EDIT: But they said soon back in Oct-Nov, so I am not sure how soon, soon is.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Yes, that's true, but the point I am making is that even if there is an unpolished even nearly finished product,  a list of bugs could end up being insurmountable depending on what needs to be done to fix them and the talent and resources available for that task. If you are a developer and you have a list of bugs needing fixing and you lack the back ground knowledge of the code and you have little time to learn it.......how do you fix it? You remove the feature and replace it with something you do know.

Yes, that's true, but the point I am making is that even if there is an unpolished even nearly finished product,  a list of bugs could end up being insurmountable depending on what needs to be done to fix them and the talent and resources available for that task. If you are a developer and you have a list of bugs needing fixing and you lack the back ground knowledge of the code and you have little time to learn it.......how do you fix it? You remove the feature and replace it with something you do know.

From one old gamer to another, wild speculation is fun and easy to spin. Again you assume DGC has not had their hands working in SB code for over 2 years. My guess being a key feature they said they will retain. I will assume they know the system well. Being a IT guy like your self, I would not let a major system being added to my project without my team knowing in backwards and forwards. I would have SB devs and my devs working side by side over everything. But thats me, is DGC smarter then me? My guess is yes.

From one old gamer to another, wild speculation is fun and easy to spin. Again you assume DGC has not had their hands working in SB code for over 2 years. My guess being a key feature they said they will retain. I will assume they know the system well. Being a IT guy like your self, I would not let a major system being added to my project without my team knowing in backwards and forwards. I would have SB devs and my devs working side by side over everything. But thats me, is DGC smarter then me? My guess is yes.

So what this boils down to is how much do we believe that the current DBG staff knows enough to code for SB's EAI?

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

So what this boils down to is how much do we believe that the current DBG staff knows enough to code for SB's EAI?

,.... and just how wonderful was the tech anyway when they could not sell it to anyone else or even stay in business.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by craftseeker

,.... and just how wonderful was the tech anyway when they could not sell it to anyone else or even stay in business.

winner winner chicken dinner.. LOL 

I think SB was more of a dream, then an actual running efficient code that had hurdles they couldn't overcome.. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle From one old gamer to another, wild speculation is fun and easy to spin. Again you assume DGC has not had their hands working in SB code for over 2 years. My guess being a key feature they said they will retain. I will assume they know the system well. Being a IT guy like your self, I would not let a major system being added to my project without my team knowing in backwards and forwards. I would have SB devs and my devs working side by side over everything. But thats me, is DGC smarter then me? My guess is yes.

I just dont agree with going all negative. Im a wait and see if DGC can pull it off camp. They said 2015 is the year of EQN. For me seeing how they keep that promise will be a large part if I trust their word still. They just got bought out and starting things from a new place. No one knows how the new dynamics will play out. We have no clue if CN will be a curse or a blessing. I admit most times these things dont go well but Im of the camp I will wait for the tree to fall before I start calling this fail.

Originally posted by Rydeson

I think SB was more of a dream, then an actual running efficient code that had hurdles they couldn't overcome.. 

This.

Originally posted by Kajidourden

This.

Well, I think that sentiment transcends more than just StoryBricks.

I have been thinking that way about the entire EQN project from the word go.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle From one old gamer to another, wild speculation is fun and easy to spin. Again you assume DGC has not had their hands working in SB code for over 2 years. My guess being a key feature they said they will retain. I will assume they know the system well. Being a IT guy like your self, I would not let a major system being added to my project without my team knowing in backwards and forwards. I would have SB devs and my devs working side by side over everything. But thats me, is DGC smarter then me? My guess is yes.

I just dont agree with going all negative. Im a wait and see if DGC can pull it off camp. They said 2015 is the year of EQN. For me seeing how they keep that promise will be a large part if I trust their word still. They just got bought out and starting things from a new place. No one knows how the new dynamics will play out. We have no clue if CN will be a curse or a blessing. I admit most times these things dont go well but Im of the camp I will wait for the tree to fall before I start calling this fail.

My vote would be on the side of blessing. I think that too many people at SOE fell in love with the project, so it became less of a business and more of a passion. Passion is great, but it also leads to a continuously-moving delivery date, too. Hopefully CN can step in and say, "What can you deliver right now? Ok, well get a story in the pipe and punt this thing out, along with a list of features for a rainy day. " 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Keep in mind, that "year" is now almost 25% shorter and they haven't done a damned thing.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    You mean they haven't shown anything, big difference. I think it's a good sign that there is such a negative outlook on EQN due to no information bein shown. It means people want to know more. I'm done with the speculation game at this point though. It's pretty pointless and not constructive.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Did they even have anything to sell? They admitted the vast majority of their work was done for EQN and co-owned by Daybreak. How many companies need AI code and designs for a sandbox MMORPG that is also owned by another company? The Storybricks IP probably isn't worth anything and the talent can just be hired.

Originally posted by Aelious
    You mean they haven't shown anything, big difference. I think it's a good sign that there is such a negative outlook on EQN due to no information bein shown. It means people want to know more. I'm done with the speculation game at this point though. It's pretty pointless and not constructive.

Of course there is huge interest in the game

Keep in mind, that "year" is now almost 25% shorter and they haven't done a damned thing.

Yes but the shows have not started yet, the big ones. Most games save their big news for events like that. With SoE Live being canned I can see them becoming more active that way but thats just my guess. 

Yes but the shows have not started yet, the big ones. Most games save their big news for events like that. With SoE Live being canned I can see them becoming more active that way but thats just my guess. 

That's one possibility. But then again, they put on a good show in 2013 too.

Eternal optimism and hype can't be stomped out.  They could say tomorrow that they lost their most key dev and nanfoodle would still think it's not just going to come out, but be amazing.

I hope he's right, I'm also pretty sure he's wrong lol.

Originally posted by Kajidourden

Eternal optimism and hype can't be stomped out.  They could say tomorrow that they lost their most key dev and nanfoodle would still think it's not just going to come out, but be amazing.

I hope he's right, I'm also pretty sure he's wrong lol.

I have to agree, I would love for this game to become something that I just can't bring myself to believe will actually happen.

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I was browsing the forums for EQ2 (i play all the games since im all access) and i heard talk of "surprise" quests they scattered throughout that expansion. This is "triggered" stuff where you pick up items, discover new locations etc. I think the Everquest team is more than capable of delivering their own AI but the possibilities of storybricks is more amazing. I don't know if we'll actually see the mobs migrating but the process of setting up camp, putting in fortifications, sending scouts out to rob players for "gold" will be straight up awesome. :pleased: 
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited December 2015
    Storybricks were at the end of their contract anyway. What happened was they did their job and wanted to outright buy the rights to the game anyway. The employees wouldn't have been fond of working for SB.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Storybricks were at the end of their contract anyway. What happened was they did their job and wanted to outright buy the rights to the game anyway. The employees wouldn't have been fond of working for SB.
    How do you know they wouldn't of been fond of working for SB or that their contract was up? What was their job and did they finish it?

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7e1844ab69e151021701614fa&id=6eb42c3b11

Beyond that, not sure where you are coming to your conclusions beyond your opinion.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I know the EQN developers had stated before that they are actually able to do a lot of stuff with the AI that they never thought was possible. Which suggests they have all the resources they need to do it properly.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Dreamo84 said:
    I know the EQN developers had stated before that they are actually able to do a lot of stuff with the AI that they never thought was possible. Which suggests they have all the resources they need to do it properly.
    They stated a lot of things without any evidence of it actually working in a mmo. Storybricks had functional demos years ago and were cool, but taking that tech/concept and turning it into something you can use isn't easy.