Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Playing Heart of Thorns is Like Coming Home

2»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Loke666

GW2 should be better on rewarding you for doing stuff the first time though, besides achivements you really should get XP and extra rewards to encourage people discovering more of the game instead of running a few zones and dungeons over and over. On the plus side they at least killed the stupid Queensdale farming train, that really was a disaster.

GW2 can be improved in many ways but I still havn't seen a more fun game in many years. Now if they just could add servers with harder difficulty and higher loot droppings...

While I agree with you in regards to most of the loot, there are quite a few significant first time rewards that aren't just achievement based.

For one, you need to unlock the entire world (explore all of it) on at least one character to even think about crafting a legendary.

Also there are unique skins you can only get for finishing the personal story. They also started adding some pretty nice (ascended) rewards for completing living story content.

It would be nice to have first-time rewards for dungeons, though.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by nuttob
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by DMKano
    I think it will do great. Sadly not for me, I just can't play a game with level downscaling - 100% no go for me. But glad to see Anet putting out a quality expansion.

You actually like running around in zones where you are lvl 500 and the zone is designed for lvl 2? No challenge, noone visits zones which are too lowlevel for them....it's like WOW where 99% of the zones are empty.

This is one of the main reasons I don't play WOW anymore!  I love downscaling, and I wish every MMO had it!

Down scaling is one of the best aspects of the game and I agree more MMO's should have it.  I really liked some of the lower areas in games and have had to make a new character in order to play them again.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Don't get this wrong. I really like GW2. But this is one of the mechanics I'll don't like. The leveling mechanic itself is irrelevant. The problem I have is that the game removes the progress you make.  You can start in your  race's 1st starter zone. Then move on to another race's 1-15, then the 3rd race's 1-15 etc etc. Do that for all the races then move on to the 2nd zones and do them 1 at a time. You can theoretically hit level cap running DEs in starter zones without ever upgrading a single item, learning a single trait or changing anything on your character what so ever. How you showed up in your tutorial, is how you can ding 80. What's the point?

So it would be better if all zones turned grey?

The whole level mechanics is rather silly, you lsaughter dragons in one zone but as soon as you move to the next tier you get killed by wild animals.

GW2 have no good solution for this but it still handles it better than almost any MMO I played since 1996. 

Levels really should go altogether and so should most of the powergap there is between new toons and vets. No game really have done this right yet, UO still was the best try (sadly enough). Until someone gets it right this is at least an acceptable way too handle it.

Besides, leveling is just a tutorial in most MMOs today anyways. A long and grindy tutorial that uses and greys out 90% of the game as you do it.

GW2 should be better on rewarding you for doing stuff the first time though, besides achivements you really should get XP and extra rewards to encourage people discovering more of the game instead of running a few zones and dungeons over and over. On the plus side they at least killed the stupid Queensdale farming train, that really was a disaster.

GW2 can be improved in many ways but I still havn't seen a more fun game in many years. Now if they just could add servers with harder difficulty and higher loot droppings...

I never said I thought other games were better. They have their own flaws. I know that much. I said I didn't like how GW2 diminishes a sense of growth and development during the leveling process. Or that if you are able to gain that sense, it really isn't something you need anyway.

However, the system I did like the most was  Anarchy Online. That game had levels, but there were other mechanics in place that made them less relevant.

• RamlachRamlach Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get into it
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Gotta say, Anet has turned the game around already and now this is just the icing on the cake.  Like 10 layers of icing, lol.  I just cannot wait for these new progression systems to be in place.  Game already has a ton to do but it really did need all that this expansion will be bringing.  A reason to continue playing after map/story/rank/skill completion(which takes a good time per character) but more never hurts.

Really really cannot wait to hear about the specializations.  That's one of the main reasons I'm currently leveling one of each class to cap.  I want to play them all!! Plus, I want to be done with them so I can level a Revenant! lol, I'm so excited.  Wish this was coming out like this month, /sigh.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    I think it will do great. Sadly not for me, I just can't play a game with level downscaling - 100% no go for me. But glad to see Anet putting out a quality expansion.

You actually like running around in zones where you are lvl 500 and the zone is designed for lvl 2? No challenge, noone visits zones which are too lowlevel for them....it's like WOW where 99% of the zones are empty.

Well when you support blatant P2W games you sort of want your cash to count dont you?

Probably will buy it, but will I stick, probably not.. Just too casual please everyone game for me. Was hyped about the new profession, but now we find out all the "unique gods" have a set of utilities which you cannot change.. Woohoo, more skills but the way you use them are decided by Anet... Meh

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by andre369

Well when you support blatant P2W games you sort of want your cash to count dont you?

Probably will buy it, but will I stick, probably not.. Just too casual please everyone game for me. Was hyped about the new profession, but now we find out all the "unique gods" have a set of utilities which you cannot change.. Woohoo, more skills but the way you use them are decided by Anet... Meh

I hope this isn't what I think it is, nah I doubt it's in regard to GW2.

I think I read into it wrong.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by aesperus

This is one of the main reasons I don't play WOW anymore!  I love downscaling, and I wish every MMO had it!

With some games it's optional. If you want to participate you can level sync.

If I've grinded levels and power out, level scaling diminishes that. If the game adjusts my level to be equal to that of the zone I am in, why do we have leveling?

Because players are so used to levels in games now they treat it as essential. GW2 could be done completely w/ out character levels, but most gamers would lose their sh@* or be completely lost / confused if they went that route. People are too hooked on traditional progression methods.

Don't get this wrong. I really like GW2. But this is one of the mechanics I'll don't like. The leveling mechanic itself is irrelevant. The problem I have is that the game removes the progress you make.  You can start in your  race's 1st starter zone. Then move on to another race's 1-15, then the 3rd race's 1-15 etc etc. Do that for all the races then move on to the 2nd zones and do them 1 at a time. You can theoretically hit level cap running DEs in starter zones without ever upgrading a single item, learning a single trait or changing anything on your character what so ever. How you showed up in your tutorial, is how you can ding 80. What's the point?

Freedom. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Shana77

Originally posted by aesperus

With some games it's optional. If you want to participate you can level sync.

If I've grinded levels and power out, level scaling diminishes that. If the game adjusts my level to be equal to that of the zone I am in, why do we have leveling?

Because players are so used to levels in games now they treat it as essential. GW2 could be done completely w/ out character levels, but most gamers would lose their sh@* or be completely lost / confused if they went that route. People are too hooked on traditional progression methods.

Freedom. 

That's an odd statement. Not to say that I find it overly restrictive, but, I never get the sense of freedom from this mechanic. In fact there are other systems that offer just as much freedom as this as well as even more options by making the down leveling optional if you wanted to participate in what was going on in the lower zones. Sure if you didn't down level, you couldn't engage or agro, but that's fair.

Also there were other systems that offered alternative options. Such as City of Heroes with the Upleveling to be within range of the group.

Sometimes, I just want to run my circuits and collect some mats without worrying about mobs.

Choice is freedom. This mechanic offers no choice.
  • Lucy_aLucy_a Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I can't play Guild Wars 2 after playing FFXIV. I tried to, and it just wasn't as fun. Hopefully others still enjoy the game though, I think i finally found my MMORPG home with FFXIV =)

Funny, it's the other way around for me. xD

• MegapixelMegapixel Member UncommonPosts: 14
    There's too much TLDR here and I'm a lazy bastard so could someone confirm if the revenant is a true tank?
  • MegapixelMegapixel Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Megapixel
    There's too much TLDR here and I'm a lazy bastard so could someone confirm if the revenant is a true tank?

Ok, nvm, I got my answer. I stopped being a lazy ass and watched the video. cant wait for HoT!

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Good job ArenaNet.  Really can not wait to play this.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

By far the best part of GW2. It makes it so easy to play with your friends.

Joined - July 2004

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Interesting: "People say there are no roles in GW2...That was never the intention."

It really sounds like they are learning from their mistakes (yes, that's what i would call them) about class roles and progression. I'm almost excited after watching this. Hopefully it's not more smoke up the ass, and they mean what they say. 

Joined - July 2004

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

“alot of people keep talking about oh there’s just… not roles in GW2, that was never the intention…..We want people to think about their builds.” ~ Jon Peters

All of these anti-trinity people can shuttup now you heard it from the horses mouth!

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by meonthissite

“alot of people keep talking about oh there’s just… not roles in GW2, that was never the intention…..We want people to think about their builds.” ~ Jon Peters

All of these anti-trinity people can shuttup now you heard it from the horses mouth!

I'm all for stronger delineation of roles, but ANET is a bit full of it. They want people to think about their builds yet  where's the massive zerker nerf? Or at the very least, buffing everything that isn't zerker? But more importantly, why is it with their incessant love for all things greatsword? Yes, they're sweet looking, can some other weapons get love?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by meonthissite

Well, we ain't saying that GW2 doesn't have group dynamics and roles, the difference is that GW2 roles are offense, defense and support, with you often needing to switch between them on the spot.

That isn't the same as the tank, DPS and healers of the classic trinity (well, the trinity used to have more roles back when the group size of most MMOs were 6 instead of 5 but that is another story).

And it is rather different, no classic tanks means that the mobs will act in a very different way than in a classic trinity game. If you like that or not is up to any player.

And I guess I am one of those anti trinity people since I think tanking should be fired from the MMOs, or at least the ability to keep mobs constantly taunted during combat. In my opinion that makes combat way to predictable for my taste. Body blocking is a very different matter and I would love to see a MMO where 3 players could shield wall the boss away from the 2 squishy ones with tactic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Rusque

I'm all for stronger delineation of roles, but ANET is a bit full of it. They want people to think about their builds yet  where's the massive zerker nerf? Or at the very least, buffing everything that isn't zerker? But more importantly, why is it with their incessant love for all things greatsword? Yes, they're sweet looking, can some other weapons get love?

I hear that you never been on the wrong side of my 2 revolvers or 2 daggers in PvP. It is rare that the greatswords take me down.

But yes, there are still plenty of things in the game that needs some balancing.

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263
    His microphone doesnt work thats why hes holding it so far away. Because he doesnt want anyone to notice.! BUSTED
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

People complaining about level downscaling haha? You can still own crap if your build fits the area.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm sure a lot of folks would disagree, but to me GW2 is one of the leading tittles available. When I think mmorpg I think EQ, WoW, and now GW2. Those would be my choices to show if someone said give me 3 that you think are the best and made this genre great. Can't wait for the expansion!

Edit: I really liked his description of a controlled fight at 12:10. It sounds good on paper anyway! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.