Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried to get back into MMOs today: It was horrible

Comments

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Check the sig bro. If you want free to play, you can get the full class story up to level 50 (with some pretty hefty restrictions).

I'm not gonna lie, SWTOR is very restrictive for F2P players, but it also offers free options to lift most of those restrictions.

Unlocks are sold on the game store and can be sold in the ingame auction (GTN) for credits. You can earn credits as a free player then purchase the unlocks off of the GTN.

I personally sub, because I get more than enough enjoyment from the game to warrant the cash.

If you haven't already, give it a look.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Soooo, any MMOs that are not money grubbing, unfinished, unless you played from the get go you died, boredom fests?

Planetside 2 maybe?  GW2 as someone else mentioned.

MMORPG's are all about progression, and generally those who play longer are higher level and will own you in terms of gear or skills, so you have to be willing to pay your dues to be competitive, just the nature of the beast really.

You choices are to play MMOs with no progression which are few, or suck it up and fight your way up the hill in a game you find enjoyable.

Or wait for something new to launch, then you can start on even footing, but unless you are a progression master some players will quickly pull ahead of you and you'll be playing catch up once again.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Wow, have you been living my life?!? Seriously?

Unlike people here assume, when you log into a game for the first time in a while and die within 5 minutes to another player, you don't "suck at PvP" and "have no patience". You simply want to find some type of enjoyment in the game and spending your time at respawn isn't fun.

I go back to some old games after some updates and the list of new features reads like an engineering blueprint. Unless you were present for each change 1 by 1, walking into a virtual wall of new features is just too much to adapt to, especially when 95% of the player base has been there for over a year and has everything memorized by heart.

Other games are fairly new and promise the world... that's all it is though. The "indie" developers are either run by naive, wide-eyed optimistic idiots who get in over their heads on day 1, or parasitic vultures looking to cash in and make a quick buck with a F2P model.

Show me 1 decent game that can capture and keep a new player's interest after it's been released for a few years. EVE? No chance of catching up with the vets who gang-bang any new player who's not-them. WoW? Have fun spending ages reading pointless quests text no one has looked at for years. LOTRO? Enjoy the population of "just you" in ever zone until you level high enough to see another player.

And those are just small samples of the larger games. Good luck trying to re-discover an indie game that hasn't lost all of its steam and turned into some random guy's "pet project" that only 1 or 2 people log into each month.

MMO gaming these days is pretty much a corpse of what it once was. What were once vibrant communities that many MMO's had are now hate-filled cesspools filled with brain-dead teenagers. Free to Play destroyed most of what made MMO's a "community" as any Tom Dick or Harry can now log in, play long enough to wreak havoc and log out without caring anything about the actual game. Other, older game communities are filled with "vets" who have spent so long in game they couldn't care less about a newbie who's barely scraping by running petty quests for hours on end, and then wonder why no new players are joining.

Better to find some enjoyment in single-player games or the more MMO-FPS genre where the playing field is at least semi level.

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Try Tera
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

every time I say mmo`s out there are crap I get banned LOL!

ill load ESO again but will not re sub.they screwed me out of money in my opinion,just to play for a week till the only good game of 2015 comes BLOODBORNE!

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

MMORPG's are dead.  I went back to retro gaming old single player RPG's (bards take, legacy of ancients, Ultima 4,5,6,7 etc)  

I see zero future for MMO's in general.  The only one i'm enjoying is GW2, I still feel its currently the best MMO.  DO NOT fall for Kickstarter MMO's.  They have zero chance with goals of 800k lol.  You are gonna end up very disappointed.  

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Try something way out of your comfort zone.  I was desperate (I despise linear quest hub themeparks) and only had old school MMO's to turn to.  So I tried Darkfall and found a level of freedom that EQ1 had.  It turns out my irritation with occasional PvP was lower than my desire for freedom from linear quests/being told what to do.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

how can you not like ESO?  it is fun and looks great.  I think it has a nice community of peepz that help.  every time I get stuck or in trouble peepz always seem to show up to help out or give advice.  when I ask questions in general chat there aren't that many smartie pants answers... I always get the answer or help without having to google.

I don't know, since I came back to ESO it seems to be a lot better than when I left.  I am excited about the ramp up of people that are getting ready for the new patch and model.

ESO = fun

Sz  :o)

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

it did not read all of 3 pages.

My reccomendations:

Istaria:Chronicles of the Gifted

Really free to play: all content avauilable, all quests, all skills, inventories etc. Restrictions for free players: only Human race, cannot own land.

Community: small. Pros - noit so much competition for that valuable ore or wood; community itself is very helpfull.

Multiclassing: finish all battle and crafting schhols.

Player driven economy, including player plotds at strategic locations serving as crafting stations.

Grind:initially - very little. As you multiclass, you will find yourself in a grindy position. Building may mean grind, but it pays off.

Lord of the rings online

Free to play with conditions: some regions are free, others - purchasable with Turbine points or ca$h. Restriction for free users removable with Turbine points mostly.

Turibine points: now are hard to earn for a new player.

Community: normal size and mostly helpfull.

Economy: Auction house / loot driven.

At top levels game is almost completely based on random number generator. You fight in territory A and get a lootbox. There could be tokens of territory A...or tokens of territory B. Or territoroy C. If you have luck, good for you.

Content tending to force-grouping and hardcore, at top levels. Good, if you are fan of this.

Grind: medium. Initilaly "kill XYZ grulets" is not evil. later, we have some really evil slayer deeds.

Pros: heavy lore orientated. If you like Tolkien and cannot miss Gandalf + mr. Frodo - you may enjoy it.

Both games are PvE with only optional PvP.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Only little indie ones with small populations

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Forced grouping in ESO? Are you on frickin crack?
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    I was going to suggest Star Trek Online too. Technically until end game is a solo experience. At endgame you can queue for PvE matches that will reward one of the currencies needed to improve gear or buy fleet (guild) ships. Don't remember if there is an specific PvP stat that grants early full time players God like stats against casual one's like WOW or Swtor do.

And that grouping is entirely optional because you can buy a ship from the market.

ESO has no forced grouping at all. You can solo all the way to the highest level and then your veteran ranks without any help or needless grinding. I know because I did it.

Sorry I was gonna walk away but this thread is all kinds of fail.

He complains nosgoth, a non mmo is not an MMO so its not good enough. He then goes on to try Dark souls?!??!? Why even try Nosgoth to begin with? Anyone with a 5th grade reading level can see neither of these games are an MMO. You don't even need to look hard.

Also, as for Neverwinter, I've forgotten my login 2x since it started due to breaks, and there is only the standard "forgot password" type of hoops to go through. Its not much. Its just an email.

Albion Online is an MMO in alpha... its NOT the place you want to get your MMO fix. On the site it even states this, and states the small window for the alpha test.

ESO has no forced grouping at all.

Shroud of the Avatar admits fully up front that youll have issues. On top of it, OP said he was against paying for access to an unfinished game, yet he did so for Shroud of the Avatar?!?!

Seriously... why are you guys even trying to help him?

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Hi , I would recommend to you Star Wars the Old Republic online and Dark Age of Camelot Genesis . Both free , SWTOR does have a monthly sub if you want more things in game tho.
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Uproar
    Originally posted by Torval
    You might try Facebook games. They sound like they might be your speed. You don't have to remember tricky things like usernames and passwords and it's really hard to die. If you like traditional games (card, puzzle, arcade, etc) you could also try Pogo.com. They have an option where you can login with your Facebook account too.

I'd report you for being rude -- but I know it's not a concern here so will probably get me banned for trying to use them to intervene.

I think his post is the experience of many of us.  It certainly represents an average weekend for me.

You may want to try some Facebook games too if his experience is the same as yours. The MMOs coming out these days go over board to make sure they are as easy as possible. If you still cannot handle them, you should probably look into a different genre. This isn't being "rude" as you think, it is being realistic.

HAhhAhahhAH his average weekend is playing Non MMO games and getting upset that they aren't MMO's, then playing a game that is known to be notoriously single player friendly and complaining it forces grouping, then forgetting a password and thinking the emails are too hard to handle, then refusing to play a game in alpha because he has to pay, only to go play another game in alpha that he paid for.... so many... of those "types" I guess. 

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81

Global Agenda: Free Agent

The Secret World

Hell, I hear AoC opened up all classes on f2p now.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

GW2

Aion

L2

Rift

Tera

STO

TSW

I don't think you just jump into competitive PvP after a long absence without expecting problems.  ESO is in transition and most of their energy is being put into the consoles launch.

I bought Duke Nukem 3D off of Steam the other night for $2.  I am now in retro heaven replaying this game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    A lot of people who frequent any MMO forum usually feel your pain. Although it seems like you don't really want to play MMO's at all if the difficulty being too hard is a factor, because most vets are looking for the opposite. I frequently resub to games just to find out I have no urge to play them at all. Recently I've been playing a lot of console games just because it's easier to flip between them without a fee, I find Destiny is pretty fun for me. On PC ARPG's have been tiding me over until I can play something I find fun in the MMORPG world, Diablo 3 and Path of Exile have been pretty fun. It's all about avoiding the genre if it's pissing you off, when you come back you can usually find something that sounds relatively decent and try it again.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Originally posted by ketzerei84

Global Agenda: Free Agent

The Secret World

Hell, I hear AoC opened up all classes on f2p now.

I don't even know why you would recommend Global Agenda at this point in it's life. There is basically 0 people playing it because of the dropped support for patches or any content whatsoever, like every hi-rez game that isn't their flavor of the year which currently seems to be Smite. Although I really wish they would give the game a decent patch and bring players back, even a few so I could play it a little more, it was one of my favorite team based shooters.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I actually agree with OP...it might be because I've "been there, done that"....won't put another cent into an MMO....they just feel like bad copies of RPG's....or actions games.   why take the "no frills" brand, when you can take name brand.   I think I might have tired of MMO's.....I like Repop, but it feels repetitive and the crafting is nutz..to the point where you feel it's a job...like Shroud, but the story is dull and questing is also repetitive....grind is overrated because of instanced zones that all look similar...the mmo has died in my opinion...I hate it though...want them to make another...but it's always the same....and maybe that's because it has to be...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    After playing pretty much all of them, I think it's safe to say I might be done with this little 17 year MMO run I've had. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this conclusion personally....

Joined - July 2004

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

1) Renewed my ESO subscription, only to see instantly why I left this game, forced grouping.

2) Logged on to my last month of WoW, decided to do something different, try a 2vs2 arena with my vaunted level 92 Death Knight.

He died instantly.

3) Went to try ArchAge since it is F2P.....it aint....deleted!

4) Tried to install EQ2, it wont install and a bunch of folks are all complaining about this same issue.

5) Tried NOSGOTH...its not an MMO...died instantly.

6) Tried to re-install Neverwinter, forgot my username and password...too much red tape to retrieve and gave up.

7) Looked at Albion....huh...pay money to have the honor of paying an unfinished game in unannounced small time windows..no thanks I will wait.

8) Logged onto Shroud of the Avatar...had to create a new toon yet again...did I mention again? Instantly fell thru the ground. Logged off.

9) Tried Dark Souls: Gave up within 5 minutes -impossibe to play without a console pad.

Soooo, any MMOs that are not money grubbing, unfinished, unless you played from the get go you died, boredom fests?

1. Forced grouping in ESO?? I felt it was just the opposite.

2. Someone died in pvp?

3. It is f2p

4. Really?

5. Why is it on the list?

6. Whose fault is that?

7. Agreed

8. It is an alpha game....and ironic that you just said you refuse to pay for an unfinished game.

9. Not an MMO.

I recommend GW2...but something has me thinking you will just come up with some silly excuse about it as well.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Randayn
    I actually agree with OP...it might be because I've "been there, done that"....won't put another cent into an MMO....they just feel like bad copies of RPG's....or actions games.   why take the "no frills" brand, when you can take name brand.   I think I might have tired of MMO's.....I like Repop, but it feels repetitive and the crafting is nutz..to the point where you feel it's a job...like Shroud, but the story is dull and questing is also repetitive....grind is overrated because of instanced zones that all look similar...the mmo has died in my opinion...I hate it though...want them to make another...but it's always the same....and maybe that's because it has to be...

I don't understand...if you will not put another cent into an MMO why are you on MMORPG.com of all places?

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Nope. I recommend going to Steam and finding a nice game that's on sale or less than $20 (games that are several years old should be marked down that much). It's less frustrating.
    Originally posted by Viper482

1) Renewed my ESO subscription, only to see instantly why I left this game, forced grouping.

2) Logged on to my last month of WoW, decided to do something different, try a 2vs2 arena with my vaunted level 92 Death Knight.

He died instantly.

3) Went to try ArchAge since it is F2P.....it aint....deleted!

4) Tried to install EQ2, it wont install and a bunch of folks are all complaining about this same issue.

5) Tried NOSGOTH...its not an MMO...died instantly.

6) Tried to re-install Neverwinter, forgot my username and password...too much red tape to retrieve and gave up.

7) Looked at Albion....huh...pay money to have the honor of paying an unfinished game in unannounced small time windows..no thanks I will wait.

8) Logged onto Shroud of the Avatar...had to create a new toon yet again...did I mention again? Instantly fell thru the ground. Logged off.

9) Tried Dark Souls: Gave up within 5 minutes -impossibe to play without a console pad.

1. Forced grouping in ESO?? I felt it was just the opposite.

Agreed

2. Someone died in pvp?

Yeah thats a weird one.

3. It is f2p

He implies how expensive it is to compete. 

4. Really?

Never heard of this one either.

5. Why is it on the list?

ITS NOT AN MMO. Its on the list like many SINGLE PLAYER games are too. Just cause its on the list does not make it an MMO. Clue in man. Even the guys who run the site have shared that with those of you who don't understand.

6. Whose fault is that?

Its not even a hassle. I literally forgot mine 5 days ago. Had it all back up and running in 5 mins.

7. Agreed

8. It is an alpha game....and ironic that you just said you refuse to pay for an unfinished game.

9. Not an MMO. 

In your opinion it is. You think small games like Nosgoth are MMO's. Im sure you also think League of Legends is an MMO. Maybe you aren't the best person to distinguish which games allow tons of people to play in the same instance/world/game TOGETHER at the same time in the same environment.

I recommend GW2...but something has me thinking you will just come up with some silly excuse about it as well.