Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else sick of "open world" RPGs?

124»

Comments

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

I love open worlds, but the last Dragon age felt like an MMo and I had no desire to collect meat and skins and do time sinks like I was play some current MMO:(

I am hoping the Witcher3 will have more depth:) I love Skyrim and the ones before but I think they are fine tuning what makes money and don't expect things to change much after the success of the latest Dragon Age game. They need to start hiding these time sinks better but that is only my thoughts.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'm really quite over this whole "open world" RPG thing.

It just ends up being repetitive, grind heavy "quests" that are light on story and heavy on boring.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Borderlands. Witcher 3 looks like it is going to suffer from the same mess. Dozens of little blah all over the map/screen pointing you towards more useless garbage.Bleh.

The last one I really enjoyed was Skyrim - but Skyrim had (I think) a good main story that kept you engaged and you didn't feel bad skipping out on most of the side stuff - as most of it wasn't thrown in your face like it is in DA:I.

OPEN WORLD DOES NOT = BETTER.

You know what were good Bioware RPGs? KOTOR, Mass Effect 1-3.

Story. Characters. Plot. Start to finish. Repeatable.

Hell, I think DIABLO 3 is a better RPG than DA:I because it doesn't bog itself down with pointless side garbage - even if the story is predictable and very standard-fair fantasy - it is focused.

In the MMO space, I think GW2 made a HUGE mistake, for example, by putting the vistas and heart quests on the map, and then making them required for world completion %.

Just leave them out there, in the wild, to FIND as we EXPLORE, and focus your directed gameplay on the main plot lines, characters, and events.

If your core gameplay is fun, as it is in like Destiny, Diablo, or the Mass Effect series, I'll play the same missions/levels over and over again as different characters/builds/moral choices etc.

Don't bog me down with useless side content that means absolutely nothing - it is NOT satisfying gameplay to me.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one. 

No.  I don't agree with you at all.  

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

@ OP

Open world is overrated but i am not sick of it. these days Linearity is counted as a negative most of the times by default which is wrong.

also it seems you are just biased toward Skyrim simple as that. the activities in Skyrim were as much meaningful as they are in most other open worlds. in some games those activities are less disguised. that is all.

as for combat out of all the games you mentioned i only find Mass Effect's combat to be entertaining but i don't play RPGs just for combat, whether they are open world or not. (as long as they are acceptable). i am fine with games with minimalistic stories (Dark Souls) but if it manages to offer a good story or present some good characters then i am happy with it as well.

"in Skyrim you didn't feel bad skipping out on most of the side stuff - as most of it wasn't thrown in your face like it is in DA:I."

not sure how it was thrown in your face! you could ignore doing side stuff in DA:I.

also having side quests to do != unfocused story. otherwise only linear games are focused. most games allow you to just ignore side quests.

"Hell, I think DIABLO 3 is a better RPG than DA:I because it doesn't bog itself down with pointless side garbage - even if the story is predictable and very standard-fair fantasy - it is focused."

i haven't played D3 yet so i can't comment on it fully but seems to me that the only advantage Diablo has on for example Dragon Age Inquisition is having more loot. also as far as i know (and even you sorta admitted) Diablo 3 has a predictable weak story so the fact that you prefer Diablo's story to DA:I speaks volumes, focused or not. you just played DA:I with negative mind set obviously.

in GW2 you are not forced to do world completion since exotic items are enough to do any content in the game(in fact items don't matter that much) so not sure how it is a "huge" mistake since it doesn't affect you that much. if you want legendary or title/star on your name you have to work for it. better than grinding for items that gonna be meaningless with the next big patch (hello WoW etc.)

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

I want to play DA:I but everyone keep saying that its full of generic mmo tasks so im concerned about that in a single player rpg.

sadly it has fetch quests but it's not "full" of them. also you are not forced to do them and it won't affect the story. if you like Dragon Age for it's characters(that's the main point of most Bioware games anyway) then buy it since even without doing side quests it will keep you busy for a long time with lots of character interactions (depending on your save even a character like Loghain is gonna be fleshed out more in Dragon Age Inquisition)

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I'm  playing Fallout 3 again right now. I found Dogmeat again without looking for him and I just saved 'Dad' at Vault 112. It happened completely out of the intended order. I hadn't gone to Rivet City yet. 

And Borderlands is definitely not an open world.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'm really quite over this whole "open world" RPG thing.

It just ends up being repetitive, grind heavy "quests" that are light on story and heavy on boring.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Borderlands. Witcher 3 looks like it is going to suffer from the same mess. Dozens of little blah all over the map/screen pointing you towards more useless garbage.Bleh.

The last one I really enjoyed was Skyrim - but Skyrim had (I think) a good main story that kept you engaged and you didn't feel bad skipping out on most of the side stuff - as most of it wasn't thrown in your face like it is in DA:I.

OPEN WORLD DOES NOT = BETTER.

You know what were good Bioware RPGs? KOTOR, Mass Effect 1-3.

Story. Characters. Plot. Start to finish. Repeatable.

Hell, I think DIABLO 3 is a better RPG than DA:I because it doesn't bog itself down with pointless side garbage - even if the story is predictable and very standard-fair fantasy - it is focused.

In the MMO space, I think GW2 made a HUGE mistake, for example, by putting the vistas and heart quests on the map, and then making them required for world completion %.

Just leave them out there, in the wild, to FIND as we EXPLORE, and focus your directed gameplay on the main plot lines, characters, and events.

If your core gameplay is fun, as it is in like Destiny, Diablo, or the Mass Effect series, I'll play the same missions/levels over and over again as different characters/builds/moral choices etc.

Don't bog me down with useless side content that means absolutely nothing - it is NOT satisfying gameplay to me.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one. 

I don't consider Borderlands to be a RPG.     It's a shooter just with more stats, loot and grinding.  

+ It's not open world as well.

DA:I  - problem is not that it is an open world game.  Problem is that Bioware designed it to be grindy,  made it like off-line MMO.   That is why it has grind-quests, pointless filler stuff and other things.  It is cheap to make such content.

DA:O and DA2 also had plenty of filler combat and grind quests, DA:I just have even more of them. 

I really doubt The Witcher 3 will be same as DA:I.     Problem is not with game being an open world or not.  Closed world or open world won't automatically make something grindy&pointless or not.  

You may also want to step from AAA games only and check games like:   Divinity:Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity.

Last but not least - I really do doubt that The Witcher 3 will be like DA:I.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Open world should mean freedom and opportunities for the players to play the game as they want. Not just the choice to be bored in large or small bite sized chunks. And yes a good game story should count for something, but if its an inflexible narrative that I can't personally contribute to, I might as well just go read a book.

I like your whole post, but this part I wanted to address specifically.

100% in agreement here. Very few RPGs these days have my character feeling like he is actually doing anything. Rarely does the world react, which is what single player can do that MMOs can not.

Take Skyrim as an example. After the "massacre at the Thalmor Embassy", never does a Thalmor "patrol" attack me when I meet them on the road. Why? I just slaughtered nearly EVERYONE in their Embassy? If I choose a side in the Civil War, it matters not, except for which Jarl sits in what throne. Nothing in the world changes to show what I have done.

It would be nice if RPGs actually gave us choices. What if I don't want to save the world and side with the "Big Bad Enenmy?" I can't. It is impossible, except by ignoring the main quest, which in turn makes no difference. The world never ends or is taken over by "Bid Bad Enemy." The "choices" we are given are "Do" or "Do Not/Ignore." That is not a choice in my book.

Factions are another "lost feature" that RPGs have nearly forgotten all about. Instead, every character can do everything. A player needs only one playthrough in order to get everything done. There are no choices and consequences anymore.

Sorry about the rambling :)

You're right about newest Bethesda games.    Both Skyrim and Fallout 3 are like these.   When they're vanilla - they lack a lot.   Some I believe for cost reasons,  but many things because of purpseful design choices.   Take Skyrim vs Morrowind.  Sure Skyrim has few thing better than Morrowind - like combat in example,  but in many other areas it got simplified or even primitivized.

tl;dr

If you want to play and enjoy Skyrim or/and Fallout 3 as great immersive RPG experience then you need PC version and intelligently choosen mods.    No way around that.

I would not touch Skyrim or Fallout 3 if not mods.   I've almost puked with Vanilla F3,   had to shut it down and HEAVILY mod it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,603
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Open world should mean freedom and opportunities for the players to play the game as they want. Not just the choice to be bored in large or small bite sized chunks. And yes a good game story should count for something, but if its an inflexible narrative that I can't personally contribute to, I might as well just go read a book.

Take Skyrim as an example. After the "massacre at the Thalmor Embassy", never does a Thalmor "patrol" attack me when I meet them on the road. Why? I just slaughtered nearly EVERYONE in their Embassy? If I 

While it's true that the "side" of the civil war seems inconsequential, you will get Thalmor groups attacking all throughout the game.

• ngoctrinhngoctrinh Member Posts: 1
    From the post, it seems like you're sick of poor gameplay design, not open worlds.
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Open world RPGs do sort of bore me too, I do enjoy Skyrim and Divinity II (to an extent). My main problem with Dragon Age Inquisition is that it feels like 70% cutscene, 30% gameplay, and the gameplay is basically single-player WoW. I do however immensely enjoy open-world action games. Just Cause 2, Saints Row, Far Cry, Watch Dogs...I dunno what to make of that, heh.