Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustrating experience

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I never got into the MOBA genre.  I tried League of Legends a while back and got bored after a few matches and quit.

Last week I gave the genre another try, this time with DOTA 2.  Surprisingly, I had a lot of fun with it.  I've been going through the hero roster trying them in bot matches (I've probably played 60-65 heroes so far).  Though the AI for your teams bots is incredibly stupid and the opposing teams bots act with perfect synchronization, I'm still having a blast and getting stomped.

I have a lot of practice to do with last hitting, denying and harassing.  A big problem is that I'm overly aggressive and get caught in bad positions.  I have to get used to the idea that not dying is more important than getting kills.  I still don't quite understand when to push lanes or go for ganks, there's a lot of contradicting information out there.  My situational awareness also needs a lot of work, I get tunnel vision during fights and forget to check the map.

My main gripe is the other players.  I've only played a handful of matches with other players (and it was against bots) but it was a terrible experience.  The nerd rage, whining and hatred of anybody that does not live up to their opinion of "good player" is amazing.  Aren't the bot matches for new players to learn?  Why are players who think of themselves as "pros" playing them?  Anyway, I did expect this behavior but it doesn't make it any more tolerable.  I realize it's a team game and people want to win (so do I) so I'm trying not to be an asshole and just mute everybody and do my own thing.  But it's becoming a more and more tempting option after every match.

In MMORPG's I have long given up on PUG's.  I generally won't bother with group content unless it's with an organized group.  So this past weekend I tried to find a group or team of new DOTA 2 players.  The quest is not going well.  The "beginners groups" were formed when the game first released.  By now they all have 2000 hours of experience.  The players who have made recent posts on various forums about forming a beginners team are either in different timezones, are very rarely online, have already quit or don't respond.

I'll hang in there for a few more weeks.  Playing pub games with random people will eventually grind down my enthusiasm for the game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

You will need to get used to ignoring idiots spamming the chat with insults or you might as well stop playing dota now.

if you are a new player it is very likely you are playing with other noobs,and they are just raging, ignore them. They can't play too. If they are playing against bots then they are definitely inexperienced players.

The best way to get introduced to dota is with a friend who is more experienced. 

But yeah asshats are always there. I am 4.5k ( which is fairly ok) but people still swear all the time and rage and you get some people who can barely control their character, how they are at 4.5k is beyond me. He community doesn't get better. It's toxic and you would have to learn to ignore them.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.