Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion is still alive?

qwertyzverevqwertyzverev Member UncommonPosts: 1

Hi guys!

Aion is still alive or die?

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Oh it's still alive. 

Aion is one of the most popular MMOs in Korean so it's receiving a ton of new content even though the western player base isn't that large.  The last expansion has meant a returned focus to open world PvP (for high levels) and a much steeper gear grind, so be prepared.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by qwertyzverev

Hi guys!

The most profitable games for NCsoft are Aion and Lineage 2.  GW2 and Wildstar and doing awfully compared to these 2 monster titles.

It's kinda sad that the most profitable and successfull mmo titles that exist are all old titles, not one single modern mmo is anywhere near as successfull.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by scorpex-x

Hi guys!

The most profitable games for NCsoft are Aion and Lineage 2.  GW2 and Wildstar and doing awfully compared to these 2 monster titles.

It's kinda sad that the most profitable and successfull mmo titles that exist are all old titles, not one single modern mmo is anywhere near as successfull.

Look at Hearthstone for Blizzard - it's new and quite successful, and if you consider the tiny dev cost in comparison to their other titles - it's hugely successful.

Yeah but that isn't an mmorpg.  Hearthstone is a game which faces very little serious competition.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Hi guys!

Graphs are not your strong side.

Lineage is eastern WoW. And it kicked every western MMOs ass by huge margin before WoW.

GW2 is as successful in the west as Aion is in the east. Aion flunked hard in the west. very hard. GW series are only successful NCSofts MMOs in the west, if not for those NCSoft would be non existant in the west. Lineage had to close its servers how badly it did and L2 nad Aoin are still dragging on as F2P titles with miniscule population.

Originally posted by Malabooga

Hi guys!

Lineage is eastern WoW. And it kicked every western MMOs ass by huge margin before WoW.

GW2 is as successful in the west as Aion is in the east. Aion flunked hard in the west. very hard. GW series are only successful NCSofts MMOs in the west, if not for those NCSoft would be non existant in the west. Lineage had to close its servers how badly it did and L2 nad Aoin are still dragging on as F2P titles with miniscule population.

Go look how much profit gw2 brings in and compare it so Lineage 2.

Hi guys!

As i said, graphs are not your strong side. And where did NCSoft released profit by game? You might want to link that.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I have friends on GW2 who play Aion as well.

On GW2 there are people who created accounts just to beg for T6 mats all day and the customer support doesn't do anything about it.

On Aion it's even a bit harsher. You can snatch agro from other teams who are fighting a boss - make it follow you until it resets - then grab it for yourself. From what I hear this happens regularly and cs doesn't see any reason to interfere either.

NcSoft has shady morals and they push that on to CS which reflects on the community.

Harbinger of Fools

Hi guys!

As i said, graphs are not your strong side. And where did NCSoft released profit by game? You might want to link that.

http://www.readycheck.org/en/forum/wildstar/news/ncsoft-2014-financial-results-wildstar-hits-rock-bottom/

And now point to the part where PROFIT is shown or where Lineage 2 or Aion are doing so much better than GW2

just for the reference

But that wasnt enough, no no no :)

Originally posted by Dakeru

I have friends on GW2 who play Aion as well.

On GW2 there are people who created accounts just to beg for T6 mats all day and the customer support doesn't do anything about it.

On Aion it's even a bit harsher. You can snatch agro from other teams who are fighting a boss - make it follow you until it resets - then grab it for yourself. From what I hear this happens regularly and cs doesn't see any reason to interfere either.

NcSoft has shady morals and they push that on to CS which reflects on the community.

What does CS have to do with people who "beg T6 mats all day" and where exactly are these people begging

As for kill stealing thats is legit in Lineage and Aion. Carebears not need apply lol Nothing shady about it, its how it has aways been, in fact thats what those games are about - pvp, politics and all the other juicy stuff ;)

Thats like complaining about kill stealing in 0.0 in EvE lol

Just to add that thats probably reson no.1 why they never really took off in the west.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I've been playing, population seems healthy.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Hi guys!

http://www.readycheck.org/en/forum/wildstar/news/ncsoft-2014-financial-results-wildstar-hits-rock-bottom/

And now point to the part where PROFIT is shown or where Lineage 2 or Aion are doing so much better than GW2

just for the reference

But that wasnt enough, no no no :)

The point I was making is that old titles are more profitable than new, lineage 1 is older than l2.  So the point stands.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Alive and making more money for NCSOFT than GW2. The game is still very popular in Korea.

All this proves is Koreans like bad games.

They like MMORPG ... and they know what MMORPG mean.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by iixviiiix
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Alive and making more money for NCSOFT than GW2. The game is still very popular in Korea.

All this proves is Koreans like bad games.

They like Grinding and enchanting +914194 systems ... and they know what that means.

FTFY

oh and

still alive :3

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Aion looks kinda nice, but I uninstalled it immediately when it told me I couldn't ask someone for help in whisper because I wasn't level 20 yet.  As someone who was basically just trialing it out for a bit before I decide if I wanted to dedicate serious time to it, that means it was going to be practically a single player game for a while for me, and I didn't find that to be worth my time.

Also, their Official Forums are dead.  Their Official NA Website has a ton of junk that hasn't even been properly translated from Korean.

The client didn't seem to perform super well, either, but it was passable.

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Darksworm

Aion looks kinda nice, but I uninstalled it immediately when it told me I couldn't ask someone for help in whisper because I wasn't level 20 yet.  

Smartest move NCsoft has ever made tbh , Helps slow down spam because bots could make new accounts and start spamming immediately otherwise, It sucks for new players but sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Best thing about that graph is that B&S is doing about double as well as WS. If only NCSoft listened to the masses when they kept saying they wanted B&S over WS.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

this graph is probably outdated already but if you take a closer look at it, GW2 sales didnt include royalties, which means the entirety of China sales is excluded from that graph. Seeing how close in numbers GW2 and Aion sales were in that graph i would say that including royalties then Aion would fall behind GW2 in profit, but that is not the point. The point is that both L1, GW2, and Aion are the three games keeping NCSOFT afloat. Also, the ridiculously high profit from Lineage 1 comes from Korea, not globally. L1 is in Korea what WoW is in NA. Again, this graph is most likely outdated already.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    I've been playing, population seems healthy.

It sure is.

The game is still installed on my local game cafe, and it's one of the most played games there. The NA server, that is. The game went f2p but it surely didn't fail in the West.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Keep in mind, that chart doesn't reflect retention or population numbers.  Each game has a different pricing model for their cash shops also.  That chart doesn't answer the original question, since i'm assuming, "Aion is still alive?", is referring to population numbers.

In Lineage, higher population obviously means higher earnings, but in the case of GW2, this is totally different, since in GW2, you can convert gold to gems, which skews the earnings numbers (besides box sales).  I could be wrong on this though.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by observer

Keep in mind, that chart doesn't reflect retention or population numbers.  Each game has a different pricing model for their cash shops also.  That chart doesn't answer the original question, since i'm assuming, "Aion is still alive?", is referring to population numbers.

In Lineage, higher population obviously means higher earnings, but in the case of GW2, this is totally different, since in GW2, you can convert gold to gems, which skews the earnings numbers (besides box sales).  I could be wrong on this though.

Someone had to buy those gems from somewhere, so the conversion of gold to gems isn't really what's going to affect the correlation of GW's population.  What IS going to affect the correlation is the number of incentives to use gems in the first place versus other titles and other monetization models (Sub vs B2P vs F2P).  For example, in some titles, you NEED to spend on the cash shop to be competitive, for example.  GW2 is not one of those, so it'll probably see reduced spending per player from that factor (not that it necessarily will or won't from other factors as well).

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Yep, there are plenty of people playing. I rolled up a few new characters a couple of weeks ago to try out the new classes and saw plenty of people running around the starting zones. 

This game has the feel of a more "traditional" mmorpg. I still keep it on my computer though I don't quite have enough time to play it with WoW, ESO, TSW and GW2. But it's in my top 5 for traditional themepark mmorpgs.

Just started a new toon today and I agree that the game has plenty of players and also has that old school feel. Having fun just hanging out in town chatting and dueling other players. Love the classic tab target combat with the movement and combo system. Its just so much better then the fps action stuff. Aion just might be my new home. :-)