Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop and go no pennalty..

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

On my story alt, i do stop my Xp every 5 levels, mostly at level 3 and 8, just to enjoy all the great stories in the game.(tough offcourse some zones are more epic)  currently at level 83 with my monk enjoying deepholm.

I am having so much fun finally enjoying all the post vanilla content, that i dont even play my max level characters..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

On my story alt, i do stop my Xp every 5 levels, mostly at level 3 and 8, just to enjoy all the great stories in the game.(tough offcourse some zones are more epic)  currently at level 83 with my monk enjoying deepholm.

I am having so much fun finally enjoying all the post vanilla content, that i dont even play my max level characters..

Stopping your XP doesn't gimp you, it just increases the amount of XP that you will get when you turn it back on.  And since many quests will not become available to you if you are out of level for them, you may actually miss quests by stopping your XP.  So in a sense... it's pointless to stop your XP for questing purposes.

If you wish to gimp yourself to experience a true sense of impending death, I suggest staying at least 8-10 levels below your level in gear.  I've gone from level 1-17 completely naked with a level 1 weapon and only slowed down at level 17... just to give you an idea of how supercharged your character is in comparison to the content.  And it was the weapon that caused the slowdown, not the fact that I was naked.  Naked just meant the mobs did more damage to me... my weapon wasn't outpacing that damage any more.  Took 17 levels to make it obsolete.

Basically, you have to work very hard to make the game hard.  The best approach is to run around with gear well below your level.... well well well below.  Hell, my level 90 DK is still wearing the same gear it had from Icecrown Citadel.  Never skipped a beat... iLvl 264 gear... and entire two expansions behind.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

On my story alt, i do stop my Xp every 5 levels, mostly at level 3 and 8, just to enjoy all the great stories in the game.(tough offcourse some zones are more epic)  currently at level 83 with my monk enjoying deepholm. I am having so much fun finally enjoying all the post vanilla content, that i dont even play my max level characters..

Don't take this the wrong way but if your starting to invent ways to enjoy the game like this you might be just about to burn out.

Personally i did something similar and once disillusioned by the progression of gear, the game really didn't hold the same enjoyment. (among other issues i have/had)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nitth

Don't take this the wrong way but if your starting to invent ways to enjoy the game like this you might be just about to burn out.

Personally i did something similar and once disillusioned by the progression of gear, the game really didn't hold the same enjoyment. (among other issues i have/had)

I just enjoy stories, and hate playing grey comtent....

i missed  several expansion packs, and just want to enjoy thise stories, i dont see whats wrong with that... I am just one of those players that enjoys the voyage and doesnt mind when the train arives.. I dont play endlessly repeating endgame... And i returned recently to the game just to enjoy the stories..

and actualy a lot of the stories in this game are actually very good, i enjoyed deepholm... Tough must admit that vasj'ir was medicore at best

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I enjoy a story in an mmorpg because I like stories. I have loved reading and enjoying books so when I am in a world I feel more connected when there are stories revealed from quests because it makes me feel involved. Although I did play Everquest from 1999 and loved the game and its lore I do not dislike the present trend of stories at all as it is to me another way of playing. I do not consider it inferior just a different way to play a game.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I never enjoyed a "story" in an MMORPG.  I always felt they were canned, forced, funneled, crafted, uni-directional, and generally meaningless.  I mean, all you are in a story is "Special Hero #623,415."  Right?

I do, however, appreciate lore, factions, and scenery, and will occasionally stop to marvel at such, especially in free-range games, where the setting is the world.  Cannot feel this way about linear story-line games, where the world is just a setting, a backdrop for some scene.

I never understood folks who think pre-crafted storylines are a must in an MMO.  This would be like folks who never tasted real sugar and who think all sweeteners need to be artificial, and that there is no other way.

Glad I was in on the early MMO's, like EQ1, where my character was just an inhabitant of a world, and it was up to me to venture out, explore, and achieve things on my own initiative.  All the while, interacting with other "travelers" I encounter on their own journeys.

The best "stories" are the ones you make within the parameters of the in-game virtual reality.  (Not, meaning make stuff up, but meaning what you do and your interactions with other players and the PVE environment.)

This to me is one of the primary problem with story in modern MMOs.  So many games feel like they need to include story but don't want to put in the effort to find amazing writers and storytellers so you get incredibly bland/linear storytelling devoid of any surprises or player choice... you basically now get a really really bad single player game baked into all modern MMOS.

Some of it is quantity as well.  If you feel you have to cover every inch of the game world with a quest then there isn't really time to work on one or two amazing quests instead you need to spread bland uninspired quests all over the land.