Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

that new build really screwed my build. Does that happen often?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
that new build really screwed my build. Does that happen often?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Almost every time a major patch is released, yes. It's part of the appeal that the meta changes radically each new league.
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Maybe for some it's appealing, but I hate it when I have to plan another passive tree from scratch.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    it basically happens every 4 months with the addition of the new content and temp leagues. the game balancing is based around these temp leagues which the bulk of the population play and not standard/hardcore and dont have the taint of legacy items hanging over them. GGG also likes to keep the game hard which is why they throwing  around the nerf stick pretty hard this go around....the game was getting a bit easy.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by BTrayaL
    but I hate it when I have to plan another passive tree from scratch.

Same here and in most MMOs I played it's a reason to quit it immediately. Those constant changes and rethinking the whole build - I have better things to to like PLAY THE GAME!

...yeah, I have removed PoE after the reset...

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

That's what happens when you have an inflexible, draconian skill tree which is basically a fancy way of putting three points into strength. 

Some people think having to completely reroll a character they've put a hundred or more hours into is fun. Me, I'd prefer to continually develop and tweak my character instead of having to reroll it from scratch every month or two. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Builds in POE often do not work for long.  As there is just too many variations in both the skill tree and itemization.  That is not a bad thing.  Just mean less cookie cutter classes.  Which also means your character is totally unique compared to other players.  Which personally is a AWESOME thing to have in a MMORPG or a ARPG!
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Originally posted by BTrayaL
    Maybe for some it's appealing, but I hate it when I have to plan another passive tree from scratch.

+1

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

That's what happens when you have an inflexible, draconian skill tree which is basically a fancy way of putting three points into strength. 

Some people think having to completely reroll a character they've put a hundred or more hours into is fun. Me, I'd prefer to continually develop and tweak my character instead of having to reroll it from scratch every month or two. 

Well, on the same note we could also say that the game isn't intended to please everyone.  Path of Exile is very much like a rogue-like that happens to play like an action RPG, especially on hardcore mode.  The intent never was to stick with one character constantly, and doing so eventually just fills up the item bank to insane proportions.  Heck, I'm kind of scared to look at my regular hardcore mode bank thanks to all the legacy loot floating around in there.  

On the same note, it wouldn't hurt if it was a little easier to correct a build mistake for those who aren't hardcore / permadeath enthusiasts.  image

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

I finally quit PoE after the fifth or sixth or whatever (honestly, I lost count) time I had to change my build.

The first time it was actually kind of fun getting to plan everything again.  Maybe even the 2nd time. Or the 3rd.  The 4th I didn't mind.

By the 5th, though, it started wearing on me.  Eventually somewhere down the line I simply said "I'm tired." and... stopped.

I was all for game balance and everything and typically see the validity in nerfing things for the sake of balance, but eventually I just couldn't take the uphill run anymore, I suppose.

Might come back for this new expansion if it raises the soft level cap (IE, the level you can reasonably get to without mapping. Holy cruds I hate the map system you're forced into past level 77 or so*).  I've been gone for long enough that I have no established build in the first place for them to break with the new changes.

(*actually, maybe I quit because of that, too.)

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited October 2017
    Pemmin said:
    it basically happens every 4 months with the addition of the new content and temp leagues. the game balancing is based around these temp leagues which the bulk of the population play and not standard/hardcore and dont have the taint of legacy items hanging over them. GGG also likes to keep the game hard which is why they throwing  around the nerf stick pretty hard this go around....the game was getting a bit easy.
    The game isn't hard at all, though.  One you get your items you kill most MOBs in one shot.  It's easier than Greater Rifting in Diablo III.  The game requires 0 skill.  It just makes you spend 10x as much time farming items and planning out passives on that massive map than Diablo does, while Diablo throws the loot at you (at least the base items you need for your build - you still need decent rolls to min-max) and then challenges you with the actual content difficulty when you ramp up the Greater Rift difficulty.

If GGG were trying to make a "hard" game, they certainly failed at that.  On top of it being rather trivial at end game, the gameplay is also incredibly shallow...  So it's not like you're blowing the MOBs up because you're "good."  You're just blowing them up because you happened to equip the correct items and click the correct nodes on the map (which doesn't take skill, especially since Meta builds are shared everywhere).
    Gdemami